Tony Books late 70's team?

Blue Streak

1976 League Cup Winners
1977 Old First Division Runners up

Our last great team before the current heroes. But what could have helped this team actually win more silverware? Is it as simple as had Colin Bell not been injured then we'd have overcome the likes of Liverpool and Forest at the time?

Now we all know what happened when Swales brought Malcolm back (and that's another debate entirely). But I'd like Bluemooners thoughts on this subject?

Something that was fundamental to this team was the coaches that Tony Book had beside him.

One was Bill Taylor who sadly passed away and the other one was Ian McFarlane who went back home to Middlesbrough because his wife was homesick.

These were 2 of the finest coaches in the UK at the time we had them, and it was when they left that things went wrong - other than the injury to Colin Bell

Along the way of course we were very close to signing both Graeme Souness and Craig Johnston from Middlesbrough, and we can only imagine what may have happened if we had signed them both.

Needless to say when things went wrong Malcolm Allison came back, and the rest as they say is history.

I was lucky to start watching City in 1962 so I saw both of Allison's stints with us. I will never forget the great years with Joe Mercer, but I will never ever forgive him for what he did the second time round. And he did an awful lot of harm in his second stint in my opinion.

I was too young to witness this period, but imagine of we had signed Souness!! We were close to signing Ian Rush as well from what I have read.

In 1975-76 I believe Colin Bell was playing some of the best football of his career..he was the first name on any England team sheet & his injury by that twat Buchan was nothing short of an assault! The Tony Book side I believe would have won the title with a fit Bell.

The football played was a joy to watch with the trickery of Barnes & Tueart on the wings, the hard working Asa Hartford in midfield, the rugged Dave Watson at the back and the often brilliant Joe Corrigan in goal will be my memories of The Team.

Malcolm Allison ripped the heart out of this side & set us back 20 yrs. I never forgave him for that.

Hell of a good team but the truth is Liverpool pretty much had the title sewn up with about 5 or 6 games to go but they took the foot of the pedal during the run in. No real chance of City ever catching the scousers that year.

I was quite young but I always seemed to remember Tony Book's teams playing attacking, exciting football. He was caretaker a few times too as I recall.

ifiwasarichfan said:
It was a great side but the truth is we were a long way short of the Mickeys.

Hence my question? what would have 'closed the gap'?

A fully fit Colin Bell? I also believe we tried to sign Alan Ball back then?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.