Tony Coton

Brilliant keeper for us, it’s a strange one why he wasn’t an England regular, I always thought he was miles better than David Seaman.

Shilton obviously went on far too long and was a bit of an embarrassment by 1990. Then after that I remember there being a few decent English keepers that were trying to tie down the regular spot - Flowers, Beasant, Pressman, Seaman and I guess Coton.

Coton was the best out of that bunch for me. Seaman was playing behind probably the best defence in English football over the last 50 years at Arsenal.

I recently saw a documentary on Euro 96 where Pearce and others were saying Seaman was “the best goalie in the world” at the time. I don’t remember too many people saying that at the time.

Don’t know if it’s mentioned already on the thread but Coton lays the blame at one Peter Swales. Swales could influence England team selection with his position in the FA. We would have owed Watford more money for Coton if he played for England. Typical City.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.