Tony Coton

Yeah, upon reflection maybe I was a bit harsh, but he wasn’t discernibly dexterous or nimble with his feet, so I’m not sure why anyone would conclude he’d make a sweeper-keeper.

I remember his response too! Everyone around me in the Kippax burst out laughing when he did it; followed by the inevitable busy chatter among them, not quite believing what they seen.

The best thing was the Ref did fuck all and let the game go on. Testing the grey matter, but was it Watford or QPR?....think play had stopped for an injured player, they threw ball back to us and someone like Colin Hendry passed it back to TC and he just picked it up and then thought 'fuck' and just whellied it up the pitch........should have had a shit load of England caps

In his first or second season with City I was stood by the tunnel after the game and a fan said simply "you are fucking shit Coton"

Coton offered him outside and all hell broke loose.

Also remember a rag driving past Platt Lane and shouting exactly the same but your fucking shit City and he absolutely gave it back both barrels.

Met him a couple of times over the years - once when I was commissioning the swimming pool at Carrington and he was having a swim and once at a David White Safe do a few weeks back. Seems a very sound bloke and clearly enjoyed his time with us.

Was gutted when we signed him at first, being a young goalie at the time Dibble was a hero to me for his saves, attitude and tracky bottoms.

Soon realised why we'd gone for TC. Criminal his lack of recognition at international level. Great shot stopped, commanded the area fantastically and a big factor in our better placed finishes during that period.

Was gutted again when he left, even more so to read since that the club went not blameless there, and then again when he became associated with the manure heap across the city.

Brilliant keeper for us, it’s a strange one why he wasn’t an England regular, I always thought he was miles better than David Seaman.

Shilton obviously went on far too long and was a bit of an embarrassment by 1990. Then after that I remember there being a few decent English keepers that were trying to tie down the regular spot - Flowers, Beasant, Pressman, Seaman and I guess Coton.

Coton was the best out of that bunch for me. Seaman was playing behind probably the best defence in English football over the last 50 years at Arsenal.

I recently saw a documentary on Euro 96 where Pearce and others were saying Seaman was “the best goalie in the world” at the time. I don’t remember too many people saying that at the time.

Brilliant keeper for us, it’s a strange one why he wasn’t an England regular, I always thought he was miles better than David Seaman.

Shilton obviously went on far too long and was a bit of an embarrassment by 1990. Then after that I remember there being a few decent English keepers that were trying to tie down the regular spot - Flowers, Beasant, Pressman, Seaman and I guess Coton.

Coton was the best out of that bunch for me. Seaman was playing behind probably the best defence in English football over the last 50 years at Arsenal.

I recently saw a documentary on Euro 96 where Pearce and others were saying Seaman was “the best goalie in the world” at the time. I don’t remember too many people saying that at the time.
Always thought Seaman was average.
The amount of big games he lost was unreal.
That giggs goal his attempt at saving a shot above his head was feeble.
If he stood tall it was an easy save.
No idea what he was trying to achieve with that arched back effort.

Always thought Seaman was average.
The amount of big games he lost was unreal.
That giggs goal his attempt at saving a shot above his head was feeble.
If he stood tall it was an easy save.
No idea what he was trying to achieve with that arched back effort.

I agree. He saved a penalty against Spain but I can’t really remember him doing anything else of note really.

He’s more remembered for a terrible tash, an even worse ponytail and latterly, and an annoying nervous laugh.

Fucking hell mate, had me scratching my head for a moment with that one. Thinking of Chris Woods?
Suppose Nigel Martyn was in that mix as well.
And fwiw I agree that TC was probably the best of the lot.

Fucking hell mate, had me scratching my head for a moment with that one. Thinking of Chris Woods?
Suppose Nigel Martyn was in that mix as well.
And fwiw I agree that TC was probably the best of the lot.

Haha! Sorry, you’re right, I was thinking of Chris Woods. Think the Sheffield Wednesday connection got me.

Yeh and Nigel Martyn was the other one I was thinking of, don’t know why I forgot to include him.

I even think Mark Crossley from Forest was mentioned at one point after Shilton. He played for England B in 1990 but ended up playing for Wales a few years later.

It was a good era for English keepers and I’m sure if Coton had been playing for one of the media darling clubs he’d have been the number 1.

Haha! Sorry, you’re right, I was thinking of Chris Woods. Think the Sheffield Wednesday connection got me.

Yeh and Nigel Martyn was the other one I was thinking of, don’t know why I forgot to include him.

I even think Mark Crossley from Forest was mentioned at one point after Shilton. He played for England B in 1990 but ended up playing for Wales a few years later.

It was a good era for English keepers and I’m sure if Coton had been playing for one of the media darling clubs he’d have been the number 1.
Yeah, remember there being a bit of a push for Crossley - probably after he saved the pen in the cup final (and I vaguely recall him making a save or two in a shootout - but that could be wrong). Woods was a bit of a weird one - very much the heir apparent to Shilton, but never really managed to make the position his own.
But you’re definitely right - looking back, it was a good period for English keepers. Even accounting for changes to the game across eras, I’d rate pretty much all of those you mentioned above any of our current crop (ok, possibly not Pressman ;-) )

Yeah, remember there being a bit of a push for Crossley - probably after he saved the pen in the cup final (and I vaguely recall him making a save or two in a shootout - but that could be wrong). Woods was a bit of a weird one - very much the heir apparent to Shilton, but never really managed to make the position his own.
But you’re definitely right - looking back, it was a good period for English keepers. Even accounting for changes to the game across eras, I’d rate pretty much all of those you mentioned above any of our current crop (ok, possibly not Pressman ;-) )

Ha! I remember Pressman scoring one of the great penalties of all time in a shootout. I was pretty young at the time, but I thought he was being talked up as a future England number 1 in the early - mid 90s when he took Chris Wood's place in the Wednesday side?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.