Top 3 Transfer Mistakes

Ric said:
In my time, then I'd go for the following:

- Clive Allen: great player, but blowing your entire budget on a player that the manager doesn't fancy seems like folly, particularly when we had fuck all money to gamble with..

Mel Machin signed him, we also bought Bishop that summer. Reid was the one that didn't rate him!

blueunit said:
Can't disagree with you mate, Danny leach Mills is my biggest head ache. Was it a seven year deal we handed him ?

It was five, it just feels like longer.

And after four years of feigning injury and refusing to be transferred after Pearce dropped him, it's nice to see he's still making money out of our beloved club by being a "pundit" and "spokesperson" for us. No, hang on a mo, nice isn't quite the word I'm after... I mean hugely annoying. His thinly veiled contempt for our club is only overshadowed by the presumed inside knowledge he believes he has, despite the fact he hasn't been our player for over four years and it's been even longer than that since he last set foot into the stadium.

I don't consider him our worst signing, but he's definitely the one I dislike most of all and probably the only ex player I'd not want to see come back to us in any capacity at all, ever.

Would be nigh on impossible to list the top 3, as there have been so many bad buys :-(

My list has slightly more than 3 but here are some of the names i remember that weren't very good for us

Bojinov, Dabo (not even sure if he ven ever played a game?) Barry conlon, Ben Haim, Charvet, Mcmannaman, Lee croft, Bianchi, Brannan, Badbuy, Creany, mills, clough, cruz.

oh and my dad says andy dibble was hopeless.

1. Lee Bradbury - £3.5m was a lot for a player who'd had one good season with Pompey. The lad didn't have the bottle to play in front of 30,000 fans and his lack of finishing and bottle played a big part in getting us relegated to the 3rd tier.
2. Ged Brannan - £700,000 and a reputation for scoring goals at Tranmere, but had a uncanny knack for disappearing in a City shirt. Some players "play in the hole" but Brannan disappeared "into a hole", and players like him and Bradbury got us relegated to the 3rd tier. Utterly dreadful.
3. Nigel Clough - achieved nowt. Considering his ability he was a terrible flop and like Brannan did a disappearing act.

Roque Santa Cruz was a terrble flop but didn't he score a couple goals in Hughes' last match? Being injury prone ws his downfall but he achieved more than Clough Jnr.

Steve Daley - the poor lad just wasn't worth the £1.5m record fee and couldn't handle the move. Not a bad player per se. Just not worth al that money.
Robinho and Adebayor cost a lot of money scored a few goals, so they are nowhere near the worst signings.

-- Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:21 am --

Ric said:
In my time, then I'd go for the following:

- Clive Allen: great player, but blowing your entire budget on a player that the manager doesn't fancy seems like folly, particularly when we had fuck all money to gamble with.
- Georgios Samaras: again, it seemed like a hell of a gamble at a time when our budget was severely restricted. I should caveat that by admitting that I sent a YouTube clip to my mates when we signed him, procaliming him as the new messiah. He wasn't the new messiah.... I now treat YouTube montages of players with the scepticisim they deserve.
- Roque Santa Cruz: everyone knew it was a catastrophic mistake at the time, quite why no one at the club thought so still beggars belief. Hughes deserved sacking for that signing alone.

Ric, but Mel Machin signed Allen in Summer '89 and DID rate him didn't he, and signed Bish for £750,000 and Gary Fleming too? Allen did well when he played and was popular. It was Reid who sold Allen after Kendall had his spell.

Wow, looking through these posts, I'm amazed at the number of mistakes we made over the years. I'd forgotten so many and to be reminded of some names makes me shiver.

I'll go for just one. Lee Badbuy. This is on the basis of:
1) Cost. £3.5m in those days was a fortune and we didn't have money to waste.
2) Ability. I've never seen a forward at City who so wowful and there is a lot of competion for that award (but that's another post!).

Oh hang on, I can't resist, so I'll add RSC and Jo

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.