Top 3 Transfer Mistakes

Shaelumstash said:
Pigeonho said:
schfc6 said:
Your honest opinion is that Robinho, City's top scorer, scoring more league goals than Tevez, Aguero or Dzeko last season is amongst the our worst three signings of all time? You saying you didn't jump out of your seat when we signed him late transfer dealing day? When he scored that free kick of his debut against Chelsea? When he scooped the ball into the net over the advancing keeper against Arsenal? Some of the best moments I can remember.

I'd be willing to bet that Bradbury, Mills, Immel, Lee Peacock, Megson, Heath, Scott Hiley the list is endless never got you off your seat, never made you feel the way Robinho did on occasion.

Am I wrong?
You're looking at it too simple. Of course I was absolutely off the wall bonkers when we signed Robinho, but most people say the same thing - that he was a good signing to announce ourselves. That's all well and good, but I think we would still be where we are now even if we hadn't signed him. He was bought for non-footballing reasons and for £32.5m, he didn't do anywhere near enough on the pitch. Oh, he has the tag of a sub being subbed too. I dare say if you put him in this team he would be much better, which is why I said that rather than being a 'bad' signing, he was more a wrong signing for that time/team.

Are you aware that Robinho scored 14 in 31 games in his first season? He started his second season poorly, but he was nowhere near match fit, rushed back from ankle surgery far too quickly because Hughesless was an idiot.

Far from being the worst signing in our history, you could argue he was the most important signing in the modern era of the club. You say that the other players would have signed for us anyway, but someone had to be the first! Do you think Tevez, Yaya and Silva would have signed because they were desperate to play with Craig Bellamy and Wayne Bridge?!

The day he signed was the first day in my life I actually believed City would win the league again. The whole mood of the club changed, the fans, the media, the general public, and I'm sure the way that other players viewed the club.

You're forgetting how highly rated Robinho was at the time. Certainly more highly rated than Tevez. I remember there was an article in the paper discussing who was better out of him and Ronaldo! Obviously he's not fulfilled his potential, but the point is he helped create a sea-change in the way the club was viewed that has helped us on the road to being one of the most attractive clubs in Europe.

I don't think any of our other signings has quite the same impact in terms of changing people's opinion of the club. I hate the term "marquee signing" as that is not what a football team is about. But the Robinho signing from a strategic point of view was probably the best signing we could have realistically made at the time. And irrespective of all that, in his first season he was an absolute joy to watch.
Completely agree. The atmosphere for that Chelsea match on his debut was awesome. When he scored right in front of us the place went mental and for that moment it felt like we were heading for big things. Although it didn't quite work out the way we hoped he did produce some brilliant performances. That Portsmouth game at home was one of the finest individual displays I have seen. He had bags of potential but something happened to him midway through the season and he seemed to lose confidence. He seemed to lose his finishing touch. Maybe he lost interest or maybe he couldn't live with all the hype. Either way it gave us the first real thing to be excited about for years and it will always be a happy memory for me.

jimharri said:
Balotelli
Robinho
Santa Cruz

Balotelli helped us win the league and the FA Cup.

-- Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:02 pm --

MCFC BOB said:
1. Roque Santa Cruz
2. Jerome Boateng
3. Jo

Got our money back for Boateng. Ade was much worse.<br /><br />-- Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:03 pm --<br /><br />
belly2000 said:
Santa Cruz
Adebayor
Bridge

This is it. Their contracts have hamstrung us for years.

Ade was worth every penny just to see him wind those gooners up the way he did, good business.

baildon blue said:
1 Lee Bradbury 2 Robinho 3 Bianchi all 3 a complete waste of money. The thing is i can think of many more like Jo and Robbie Fowler

mcmenemin.....<br /><br />-- August 7th, 2013, 11:14 pm --<br /><br />Jo because he looked good on you tube...

Biachi because he was just so crap....

Samaris because he just would not move (mess up his hair) ... what a season that was

In my time, then I'd go for the following:

- Clive Allen: great player, but blowing your entire budget on a player that the manager doesn't fancy seems like folly, particularly when we had fuck all money to gamble with.
- Georgios Samaras: again, it seemed like a hell of a gamble at a time when our budget was severely restricted. I should caveat that by admitting that I sent a YouTube clip to my mates when we signed him, procaliming him as the new messiah. He wasn't the new messiah.... I now treat YouTube montages of players with the scepticisim they deserve.
- Roque Santa Cruz: everyone knew it was a catastrophic mistake at the time, quite why no one at the club thought so still beggars belief. Hughes deserved sacking for that signing alone.

Ric said:
In my time, then I'd go for the following:

- Clive Allen: great player, but blowing your entire budget on a player that the manager doesn't fancy seems like folly, particularly when we had fuck all money to gamble with.
- Georgios Samaras: again, it seemed like a hell of a gamble at a time when our budget was severely restricted. I should caveat that by admitting that I sent a YouTube clip to my mates when we signed him, procaliming him as the new messiah. He wasn't the new messiah.... I now treat YouTube montages of players with the scepticisim they deserve.
- Roque Santa Cruz: everyone knew it was a catastrophic mistake at the time, quite why no one at the club thought so still beggars belief. Hughes deserved sacking for that signing alone.

Can't disagree with you mate, Danny leach Mills is my biggest head ache. Was it a seven year deal we handed him ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.