Torres over Dzeko?

1fingerwillie

A number of folks on the board seem to favor Torres over Dzeko. I haven't seen Dzeko play as much as Torres, but from what I have seen, he seems to be damn good with the potential to be a real force in this league. Some of what I read in the news suggests that Torres would go for 55 mil and Dzeko for 35-40.

Assuming those numbers are correct, it looks to me like Dzeko is the better pick for us, considering age, past fitness, etc... So, to the Torres fans out there, I would love to hear your thoughts: whats the argument for going with Torres?

i think torres edges him out because he has prem experience and is a proven striker in the prem, its always a gamble on players from other leagues but i guess the bundesliga is pretty physical

If it was a choice between them it'd be Dzeko by a mile for me. I keep thinking of the game against Blackburn last season (which was Tevez's best game for us in my opinion) where Benjani played and didn't do much apart from occupy Blackburn's centre backs and gave Tevez lots of room to play. I think Dzeko would do something similar and obviously he's on another planet to Benjani in terms of ability and goal threat. As much as I like Adebayor he just doesn't want to get into a battle with the centre backs & dominate them and for me that's one of the reasons why he has never had a semblance of an effective partnership with Tevez. Plus that stat about us not scoring a headed goal would probably disappear pretty quickly if Dzeko played for us.

I actually believe that he would be the safer signing of the two considering Torres has been woeful for a long time now and has had a lot of injuries over the past couple of seasons.

Only just realised you asked for the thoughts of those in favour of Torres but oh well. ;)

its close BUT if we want a player to join us and hit the ground running, with limited time to settle in as its Jan then Torres would be better IF he stayed fit. But if he pulled up then he probably would miss the majority of the season so I'd go for Dzeko purely on the fact he'd be able to play with little doubt. This particular signing could literally win us the league I reckon, get the right one and we're in the mix big time, buy one who can't play (either for fitness or settling in) and we'll struggle to keep in touch at the very top IMO.

"This particular signing could win us the league" what nonsense... we could win it with no signings.

My opinion of Dzeko is that he is a limited player who can either drive straight up the middle or receive a cross in front of goal.

this whole "only team not to score with a header' is silly. you don't even need a tall guy to do it, look at Hernandez for chrissake....

and we have a tall guy to put in the box- Mario.

Torres would be terrible. And why is everyone focusing on a striker anyway.... we need a rightback more than a forward.

But if we needed a forward, I'd like to have Hulk.

It beggars my mind why we need anymore crocks (like Torres) when we have a resident one (RSC) & Super Mario with Ade (proven EPL goalscorer) as backup. Why go for Dzeko or Torres? Expensive signing too & definitely high wage earner! It doesn't make sound economic sense!

Super Mario is our main striker & will be one of the top EPL goalscorers together with Tevez.

I trust that those that are clamouring for Dzeko are not angling for something or 'agenting' for him? Yes?

Or you must think our Mario is not good enough?
Or our Owner can easily expend another 50m and thats not including paying out wages for loaning our strikers out (Bellamy comes to mind?)?

taggeddogga said:
i think torres edges him out because he has prem experience and is a proven striker in the prem, its always a gamble on players from other leagues but i guess the bundesliga is pretty physical

Yeah I think bundesliga is physical and a Bosnian currently playing for Wolfsburg certainly shouldn't find the Manchester winter a problem.

-- Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:46 am --

blueplan said:
It beggars my mind why we need anymore crocks (like Torres) when we have a resident one (RSC) & Super Mario with Ade (proven EPL goalscorer) as backup. Why go for Dzeko or Torres? Expensive signing too & definitely high wage earner! It doesn't make sound economic sense!

Super Mario is our main striker & will be one of the top EPL goalscorers together with Tevez.

I trust that those that are clamouring for Dzeko are not angling for something or 'agenting' for him? Yes?

Or you must think our Mario is not good enough?
Or our Owner can easily expend another 50m and thats not including paying out wages for loaning our strikers out (Bellamy comes to mind?)?

Did you see the first 3 months of the season when we had exactly one effective striker? How in the world can anyone say we don't need a striker. We have exactly two that are worth anything. Bobby clearly wants to play two at a time, which leaves little room for things like suspensions and injury. We are going up against West Ham this weekend with a weaker squad than we should precisely because we don't have a third top flight striker.<br /><br />-- Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:48 am --<br /><br />
scenecreamer said:
"This particular signing could win us the league" what nonsense... we could win it with no signings.

My opinion of Dzeko is that he is a limited player who can either drive straight up the middle or receive a cross in front of goal.

this whole "only team not to score with a header' is silly. you don't even need a tall guy to do it, look at Hernandez for chrissake....

and we have a tall guy to put in the box- Mario.

Torres would be terrible. And why is everyone focusing on a striker anyway.... we need a rightback more than a forward.

But if we needed a forward, I'd like to have Hulk.

I am not convinced we don't already have two quality right backs in Zabs and Boateng.

Hulk over Dzeko? Really?

Hulk purely for the fact i want to look cool with it on the back of my shirt...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.