totally underwhelmed

fathellensbellend said:
regardless of the influx of new players, bonding etc, i cannot help but feel mancini again yesterday served up more of his anti football and without the brilliance of joe hart his negativity would once again have been exposed.

to my mind thats 7 games out of 8 against top sides under mancini tenure where we have barely mustered a shot. everton home and away last season, liverpool at home, arsenal away, utd at home. and now spurs at home and away. (the exception chelsea away)

in a sport that is results driven, it's just such a turn off, you work all week, spend a small fortune on tickets and travel and the manager cannot even be arsed to commit any players forward.

i suppose in the context of the league a 0-0 at spurs is a bloody good result, but the method and the style just doesn't appeal to me one bit.

i expect to get shot down in flames, but it's a forum and it's my view, and i want to see city trying to win games, not stifle the life out of them, and that has become a regular trend under mancini against the top sides.
Was it all one way traffic? Sounded that way in the 1st half, but in the 2nd we edged it?

Think you expected too much. Kolarov twisted his ankle in the 1st half, and Silva and tevez only managed 35 mins football in the last pre-season game. The team that finished was quite similar to the team we had last season, but they fought a lot harder. Moomba summed it up well. Good result, but 3 months in we'd be expecting a better performance

Remember too that Spurs are a very good team at home. As good as we will face. And they have a Champions League game coming up and have the same team.

I expected a thrashing so I'm quite happy now. I think your expectation of what was possible and how you rate Spurs determines how you feel about yesterday<br /><br />-- Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:45 am --<br /><br />
Petetheblu said:
I'm not a massive fan of negative football, but if that's what it takes then fair do's and yesterday it was obvious the Arry wouldn't let us settle and would choose to hit us at a hundred mile per hour, so Bobby got it right yesterday.

Although watching Chelsea on telly I noticed that they tend to get at least three players in the box for each attack and I did find myself wishing that Bobby would take one or two chains off our forwards and midfielders and give the oppositions defenders something to worry about.
Chelsea got badly beaten up at WHL last season

And I remember our horror show there last season when we went there with an attacking line-up and got thrashed

Have you seen the media reaction to our draw? Imagine what it would have been had we lost. Getting a good start was vital.

TFC said:
Was chatting with a Spud last night, when I made the point that we improved after the break, he countered with 'its not hard to go from totally outclassed to slightly above average'.

Fair enough, but with tons and fooking tons of room for improvement, we still walked away from a huge bogey team with a very valuable away point, and (personally) a lot more confidence in the back line. We get the defending right (which has been our achilles heel for far too long) and the goals, the wins will follow.

Quit your bitching.

;)

Totally outclassed ?? For a fan of a club to say that yet not score is laughable..

Marvin said:
fathellensbellend said:
regardless of the influx of new players, bonding etc, i cannot help but feel mancini again yesterday served up more of his anti football and without the brilliance of joe hart his negativity would once again have been exposed.

to my mind thats 7 games out of 8 against top sides under mancini tenure where we have barely mustered a shot. everton home and away last season, liverpool at home, arsenal away, utd at home. and now spurs at home and away. (the exception chelsea away)

in a sport that is results driven, it's just such a turn off, you work all week, spend a small fortune on tickets and travel and the manager cannot even be arsed to commit any players forward.

i suppose in the context of the league a 0-0 at spurs is a bloody good result, but the method and the style just doesn't appeal to me one bit.

i expect to get shot down in flames, but it's a forum and it's my view, and i want to see city trying to win games, not stifle the life out of them, and that has become a regular trend under mancini against the top sides.
Was it all one way traffic? Sounded that way in the 1st half, but in the 2nd we edged it?

Think you expected too much. Kolarov twisted his ankle in the 1st half, and Silva and tevez only managed 35 mins football in the last pre-season game. The team that finished was quite similar to the team we had last season, but they fought a lot harder. Moomba summed it up well. Good result, but 3 months in we'd be expecting a better performance

Remember too that Spurs are a very good team at home. As good as we will face. And they have a Champions League game coming up and have the same team.

I expected a thrashing so I'm quite happy now. I think your expectation of what was possible and how you rate Spurs determines how you feel about yesterday
We did not edge the 2nd half. We just got a little bit better than a pretty shocking 1st half. However, I think a point at WHL is a great point. Yet I can't say we deserved it. We were lucky to get it. On the other hand, we had players out there who hadn't played a full game for us yet and in key positions against good players. All in all, can't be unhappy with how it turned out, but not overwhelmed by any means just yet. A few weeks and we should be laughing.

Crabbers said:
chesterguy said:
Chelsea WW
Liverpool DD
United LL
Arsenal WD

Not bad for big games

Yeh but look at the games under mancini...And the two recent spurs games should be included in the big games. United and arsenal at the end of last season, were there for the taking and we didn't go for it. We seem too happy to play for the draw.

The one game we did go for it was Chelsea away and look what happened there.

I'm not a Mancini hater, just frustrated with the style of play in certain matches. I think were better than the way we set up.

Yeah but we didn't go for it in the Chelsea game. We set up exactly the same way, one up front and couldn't get the ball for 45 minutes. Tevez goal was a one man show from the half way line with no support and then Chelsea were forced to throw more bodies forward.

All our goals were counter attacks as Chelsea threw players forward, not a result of dominating possession and the game. Nothing has changed, but the game proves Mancini's counter attack system can work.

fathellensbellend said:
i am sorry but i have never seen a team win anything without making an attempt to score.

Fair point no team wins without shooting, however this is one game, and there were reasons why we were so disjointed, take something from the major improvement from start to finish, and then look at who we will be playing in future weeks. If we're still playing this way against Blackpool/burn in a month or so, and drawing 0-0 then he'll be on his way I expect, but we won't will we ?

In the first half Spurs were excellent yesterday, and they didn't allow us to attack, they were first to everything, but we got to grips with them and dominated possession second half, restricting Spurs to a couple of long shots, and we had a couple of good chances ourselves.

It wasn't perfect, but its 1 point more than we got last year, and 2 less for Spurs. We need to improve this way against others, and if we do we'll be challenging.

KentBlue said:
Although watching Chelsea on telly I noticed that they tend to get at least three players in the box for each attack and I did find myself wishing that Bobby would take one or two chains off our forwards and midfielders and give the oppositions defenders something to worry about.
True. But there's a big difference between playing Spuds away and recently-promoted WBA at home. And Chelsea have just won the double so they're confidence was bound to be sky-high. We, on the other hand, have players that have never experienced the rigours of life in the English Prem.

It would be a dream if we could play like we did against Burnley away last season every week...

It doesnt happen like that...Lets not forget that chelsea lost to spuds at the lane not too long ago.

I was fine with the end result but I would have liked us to go at spurs more , at times it was there for the taking , we were passing it around them brilliantly but just had no end product . I think his mistake was playing Tevez by himself , he works his socks off but he cant work it by himself . he comes deep leaving no one in the box . Ade honestly should have started as then he would have stayed up top and given us a more attacking threat . Silva and tevez play in the same position they were side by side alot of the time . I think the good thing is we didn't lose , teams who go there to attack spurs like chelsea and arsenal did last season were beaten and thats what mancini didnt want , to be beaten . Honestly I see what the OP is saying we need to have a more attack minded style against these teams we have the players to do it , look what we did to chelsea when we went for it , we turned them over . we do need to be more offensive , yes , but I dont blame mancini for putting a stall out its a very hard place to go . But we shouldnt be complaining we have a point at the spuds which is more than we have got in over 6 seasons there so just be happy with what we got cos it could have been a hell of a lot worse .

Crabbers said:
chesterguy said:
Chelsea WW
Liverpool DD
United LL
Arsenal WD

Not bad for big games

Yeh but look at the games under mancini...And the two recent spurs games should be included in the big games. United and arsenal at the end of last season, were there for the taking and we didn't go for it. We seem too happy to play for the draw.

The one game we did go for it was Chelsea away and look what happened there.

I'm not a Mancini hater, just frustrated with the style of play in certain matches. I think were better than the way we set up.

We set up no different against Chelsea. Defend well and hit them on the break.

Scoreline can often alter your perception of how the game was played.

cleavers said:
fathellensbellend said:
i am sorry but i have never seen a team win anything without making an attempt to score.

Fair point no team wins without shooting, however this is one game, and there were reasons why we were so disjointed, take something from the major improvement from start to finish, and then look at who we will be playing in future weeks. If we're still playing this way against Blackpool/burn in a month or so, and drawing 0-0 then he'll be on his way I expect, but we won't will we ?

In the first half Spurs were excellent yesterday, and they didn't allow us to attack, they were first to everything, but we got to grips with them and dominated possession second half, restricting Spurs to a couple of long shots, and we had a couple of good chances ourselves.

It wasn't perfect, but its 1 point more than we got last year, and 2 less for Spurs. We need to improve this way against others, and if we do we'll be challenging.
Got to give credit to the team Spurs have assembled. Just because we have spent like Real Madrid doesn't mean we're the only team in the League, and it doesn't mean we will be Real Madrid in one game

We must do better and we will

Marvin said:
cleavers said:

Got to give credit to the team Spurs have assembled. Just because we have spent like Real Madrid doesn't mean we're the only team in the League, and it doesn't mean we will be Real Madrid in one game

We must do better and we will
The whole point of the OP's argument is that it is a trend.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.