totally underwhelmed

we can wax lyrical about spurs beating arsenal and chelsea at home last season, so in the interests of balance wolves and stoke both won at white hart lane.

i not only think we are restricting our attacking players, we are restricting players like de jong.

does a bulldog like de jong, need to be accompanied by 2 more defensive midfielders.

surely when a team packs the midfield then to boss the ball should be the aim, yet for 45 mins we were shadow chasers (vast improvement 2nd half)

the best teams always have a natural out ball, how many times did we shape to break, then have to turn 180 degrees because no-one was on, while spurs regrouped.

this isn't stuart pearce's team, this is a brilliant squad of players, lets utilise them, man for man we can compete with anyone, only city could have the players we have at our disposal and not have a shot.

fathellensbellend said:
why would we have got slaughtered if we had gone for it?

some channelled attacking football, could have completely changed the complexion of the game.

i don't expect all out attack, what i do expect is gomez to have to have is kit washed.

i expect dawson and king to be shifted around, to be stretched, and to be turned, not playing in a complete comfort zone.

to win matches you have to ask questions, and the facts remain against the best sides we don't even have any shots on goal, never mind score, under mancini (chelsea 4-2) being the only exception.

there were plenty of positives yesterday, tactically we nullified lennon, whom took us apart last season, yaya is always available and has immense presence, kolo was superb, and defensively in the second half we were in control.

it's the other side that concerns me, the getting men in the box, the willingness to commit bodies in support of the ever dropping deeper tevez, and the bloody great screen we insist on placing in front of our expensively assembled defence.

i think our tactics at times restrict the wonderful players we have at our disposal.

i see another zola in silva, but yesterday he had scraps and no outlets.

the 10 mins of adebayor showed that dawson and king could and should have had an harder afternoon, and with that impact the game opens up for your silva's and wright philips etc, so instead of containing we are in fact asking the questions.

i don't dent its a bloody good point, but it's another toothless attacking display for me.
It was a good point and a toothless display, and I hope Mancini is taking your view about what he demands from the team. I just don't think we were ready on Day 1 to go to White Hart Lane and take the game to them. In 3 months time, I'd expect much more attacking threat from City.

Good thread

Joycee Banercheck said:
Marvin said:
Got to give credit to the team Spurs have assembled. Just because we have spent like Real Madrid doesn't mean we're the only team in the League, and it doesn't mean we will be Real Madrid in one game

We must do better and we will
The whole point of the OP's argument is that it is a trend.

thank you.

fathellensbellend said:
we can wax lyrical about spurs beating arsenal and chelsea at home last season, so in the interests of balance wolves and stoke both won at white hart lane.

i not only think we are restricting our attacking players, we are restricting players like de jong.

does a bulldog like de jong, need to be accompanied by 2 more defensive midfielders.

surely when a team packs the midfield then to boss the ball should be the aim, yet for 45 mins we were shadow chasers (vast improvement 2nd half)

the best teams always have a natural out ball, how many times did we shape to break, then have to turn 180 degrees because no-one was on, while spurs regrouped.

this isn't stuart pearce's team, this is a brilliant squad of players, lets utilise them, man for man we can compete with anyone, only city could have the players we have at our disposal and not have a shot.

we did shoot, gomes did make a save, fact is we'd have been 1-0 up if Shauny could use his right foot.

Personally I would blame Tevez for not playing as the lone striker as he should have imo, but at the end of the day I'm happy with a point so don't really care.<br /><br />-- Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:11 pm --<br /><br />
fathellensbellend said:
Joycee Banercheck said:
The whole point of the OP's argument is that it is a trend.

thank you.

it's the first game of a new season with new players etc. etc., it's hardly comparable.

TheLegendOfBerti said:
fathellensbellend said:

we did shoot, gomes did make a save, fact is we'd have been 1-0 up if Shauny could use his right foot.

Personally I would blame Tevez for not playing as the lone striker as he should have imo, but at the end of the day I'm happy with a point so don't really care.

-- Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:11 pm --

fathellensbellend said:
thank you.

it's the first game of a new season with new players etc. etc., it's hardly comparable.

how can it not be comparable when it's the same manager and the same style of play. explain?

I don't think Mancini is that coward by nature.

But he lacks the attacking players who he trusts and who trusts him.

If Balotelli doesn't work, he should admit failure.

It may turn out to be Tevez or Balotelli.

That will be the toughest decision to make.

Tevez lost the spark. He joined us because he wanted to prove Ferguson wrong. But to what extent? Bring his dynasty down?

Anger never gets one that far.

TheLegendOfBerti said:
fathellensbellend said:

Personally I would blame Tevez for not playing as the lone striker as he should have imo, but at the end of the day I'm happy with a point so don't really care.

fathellensbellend said:
thank you.

I've said my piece, mate.

moomba said:
Crabbers said:
Yeh but look at the games under mancini...And the two recent spurs games should be included in the big games. United and arsenal at the end of last season, were there for the taking and we didn't go for it. We seem too happy to play for the draw.

The one game we did go for it was Chelsea away and look what happened there.

I'm not a Mancini hater, just frustrated with the style of play in certain matches. I think were better than the way we set up.

We set up no different against Chelsea. Defend well and hit them on the break.

Scoreline can often alter your perception of how the game was played.

Chelsea are incisive... Were not. We barely mustered a shot at goal. Should be on here!

Did Gomez even have a save to make? The games towards the end of last season were similar.

It is a trend and personally I find it a bit worrying... But I sincerely hope I am proved wrong.

fathellensbellend said:
TheLegendOfBerti said:

how can it not be comparable when it's the same manager and the same style of play. explain?

because it's a new season with new players that aren't match fit and haven't gelled, if we are no better in these games in 6 months then I'll agree with you, but I just think that the most important thing was to not get battered yesterday and that Mancini did actually sort us out at half-time, I just think he was taking the safe point after the 1st half because Ade is too much of a gamble when it comes to all 11 working hard when we don't have the ball.

Liverpool home will be the more relevant game for this imo.

to coin a phrase from the late great ken barnes

"I know it’s an old saying but it’s true that attack is the best form of defence. It really annoys me when coaches try to stress negative play. It doesn’t matter how many goals you concede so long as you score more"

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.