Tottenham 1 City 3 May 1968

I'm a bit fuzzy on the chronology but I have a series of random memories. United went to the Hawthorns and all we could hear was that a win for them would virtually seal the title. Imagine the delight when I put the radio on and the latest was that they were 6-1 down! Later it came through they had lost 6-3. I don't know when, but I think it must have been just after this, we played relegation certs Fulham at Maine Road and went one down before coming back to win 5-1 - and a BBC reporter (Lowe?) explained that City's goal average put them in a strong position. Our final games were tricky though: Everton at home, Spurs and Newcastle (away). United were still favourites because their final games were Newcastle and then relegation threatened Sunderland at home. United hammered Newcastle 6-3 at OT to show that the Hawthorns was just a bad memory but City had an excellent 3-1 win at Spurs, though a draw had been thought the best we could get. The final was supposed to be a handsome win for United against Sunderland, a City draw (at best!) at St James Park and United to take the title by a point! We all know what actually happened! United, I believe finished losing 2-1, despite Nobby Stiles attempt to equalise with a flying drop kick to the Sunderland's midriff, while City won one of the great title deciders of the decade. Well over 50 years ago now - but what a memory! Never to be forgotten even for those who will remember the Pep years forever.

I'm a bit fuzzy on the chronology but I have a series of random memories. United went to the Hawthorns and all we could hear was that a win for them would virtually seal the title. Imagine the delight when I put the radio on and the latest was that they were 6-1 down! Later it came through they had lost 6-3. I don't know when, but I think it must have been just after this, we played relegation certs Fulham at Maine Road and went one down before coming back to win 5-1 - and a BBC reporter (Lowe?) explained that City's goal average put them in a strong position. Our final games were tricky though: Everton at home, Spurs and Newcastle (away). United were still favourites because their final games were Newcastle and then relegation threatened Sunderland at home. United hammered Newcastle 6-3 at OT to show that the Hawthorns was just a bad memory but City had an excellent 3-1 win at Spurs, though a draw had been thought the best we could get. The final was supposed to be a handsome win for United against Sunderland, a City draw (at best!) at St James Park and United to take the title by a point! We all know what actually happened! United, I believe finished losing 2-1, despite Nobby Stiles attempt to equalise with a flying drop kick to the Sunderland's midriff, while City won one of the great title deciders of the decade. Well over 50 years ago now - but what a memory! Never to be forgotten even for those who will remember the Pep years forever.
We were at home the night utd played west from

We won ( was it sheff wed or Everton? ) but when they put the urd score over the tannoy it was met with the loudest roar I have ever heard

Full time score from the hawthornw

West Brom 6 ...........

Nothing was heard after that

not even sure it was utd

They could of scored 8 .... I don't know !

Last edited:
We were at home the night utd played west from

We won ( was it sheff wed or Everton? ) but when they put the urd score over the tannoy it was met with the loudest roar I have ever heard

Full time score from the hawthornw

West Brom 6 ...........

Nothing was heard after that

not even sure it was utd

They could of scored 8 .... I don't know !
Yes it was Everton same night they let in 6 at West Brom,we won 2-0 I was on the Kippax that night remember Everton singing we hope you win the League and us back we hope you win the cup they lost to West Brom few weeks later in the final.56 years ago unbelievable.

On the 29th April the situation was as follows:
  • City - played 40 (pts 54)
  • Rags - played 40 (pts 54)
  • Pool - played 39 (pts 51)
  • Leeds - played 39 (pts 53)
Leeds could still get 59pts whilst City & Rags could only get 58pts.

That weekend of 4th May when we won at Spurs, Pool beat Leeds at Elland Road. We could now win the league if we won at Newcastle because our goal average was far superior to the Rags (average not difference in those days). That is why all the City fans were shouting the news out to the players as they left the pitch at the final whistle.

The rest is history the Rags lost at home to Sunderland with the BBC Match of the Day cameras in attendance (nothing changes), and City won a truly memorable match at St. James's to clinch the title.

P.S. - Leeds lost all their remaining games and finished 4th.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.