tourists yesterday

BrianW said:
I was going to away matches, regularly, when some of our current fans were still in their mothers' wombs, or weren't even that developed. But I haven't been away for years, so if I went to one now I'd be denounced as a 'tourist'.

If someone turned up dressed like and acting like how the people that people describe as 'tourists' do then they would have been described as such in the 1960s too. The difference being that it didn't happen then.

Don't be so duplicitous to suggest that we are talking about not recognising the bloke next to you and knowing his life story.

I am by no means a regular at aways in recent years and don't really recognise (or particularly want to) anyone on the occasions I get to go to aways. I have never been accused of being a tourist.

Take a look at the numpties on the front rows at Old Trafford today when the camera pans around and see how they are acting. That is your archetypical 'tourist'. Something quite different to someone who doesn't get to go to away games often.<br /><br />-- Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:13 pm --<br /><br />
Skashion said:
JohnMaddocksAxe said:
Whatever my plan for financial sustainability would be (and it's a bit arrogant for anyone on here, without access to the exact figures to think that they know the minute knowledge of such plans), it would not include the totally financially insignificant issue - in terms of the club making an impact on it's spending - of shafting loyal fans with ticket price rises or allowing wankers with no connection to or feeling for the club to jump in front of genuine fans in the queue for tickets for big games.

You seem to be suggesting that such things lead to financial sustainability.

The only tenuous link you could make is that you might get some contacts or investment if you allow such people to take tickets. But I hardly think that anyone genuinely important would be plonked amongst the away fans.

I'm struggling to think how you are connecting the development of a worldwide fanbase (not my choice of phrase as I don't class someone on the other side of the world as a fan - maybe an interested, delusional observer but if they want to delude themselves and spend their money on City branded tat then that is their business and good for the club) and allowing a miniscule amount of people to take tickets that would otherwise be open to genuine fans of the club. Are you suggesting that these people then go back to wherever they are from (Milton Keynes, Amsterdam, Hong Kong, wherever) and are like evangelical preachers converting millions of susceptible fools to 'city fans' and allowing the club to break even?

I somehow doubt it. It is irrelevant in terms of financial sustainability, so I don't know why you connect the two.
I'm not just talking about away day tourism, which I've already said is totally insignificant to me and which affects one game a season as far as I'm concerned. I'm talking generally about whether our club caters to corporates at home games and whether it would be a positive thing for our club's financial sustainability. There's a huge gap in our match day income and that of the rags and Arsenal and a large bulk of that is in corporate hospitality in which said clubs earn millions in the £30m+ range whereas we make around £7m.

I'm not really bothered about that. As long as they can do it at home games without pricing out the real fans (and despite what many on here claim, there is no reason that they cannot do that) then they should shaft as many gloryhunting corporate mugs as they can if it benefits the club.

Before we start slapping ourselves on the back, lets look at the countless season ticket holders shifting on their tickets for yesterday. Yes the support was fantastic, and had more of a manc flavour, but there were plenty of people still selling their tickets.

Skashion said:
I'm talking generally about whether our club caters to corporates at home games and whether it would be a positive thing for our club's financial sustainability. There's a huge gap in our match day income and that of the rags and Arsenal and a large bulk of that is in corporate hospitality in which said clubs earn millions in the £30m+ range whereas we make around £7m.
It would make a significant difference. Currently about 60% of the rags' matchday income comes from corporate/premium seats, which make up just over 10% of total capacity. I think we have about 2,000 or just over 4%. Rags and Arsenal turnover around £100m each.

We know that Arsenal prices are higher than ours and that both their capacities are higher. But if you do the maths it works out to £1,315 per seat per season for the rags, whereas our equivalent is around £420 per seat per season. In other words a third of what the rags pull in per seat. Increasing that to even £1000 per seat would bring in close to an extra £30m per season.

personally I don't think people selling an away ticket gained from their season ticket for an odd game or two is overly wrong. I had a season ticket from when i was 7 (at which they no longer believed i was under 5 which got you in free at maine road) until I went to uni down in London at 18. Being at uni made getting a season ticket impossible, as any night matches were impossible to get home from, and more so the fact that a return to manchester is 50 quid, so 18 home game journeys a season would mean me basically having to add on the cost of 2 season tickets just to get the train up to see our boys. this means even though i've got shit load of points I can't get a single away ticket as i'm not a seasoncard holder. With it being my birthday last week, and having family in norwich, my birthday present was a ticket for me and my dad (using a friends seasoncard) with a weekend in norwich. Even though it could be pointed out that we took 2 seats off seasoncard holders with less points than my friends, I still think it would be unfair to block me and my dad from attending any more away matches, just because I moved away.
people selling away tickets to their mates isn't the problem, its the people that sell it for every single game to some random person, tourists included, simply to bump up their points.

Prestwich_Blue said:
Skashion said:
I'm talking generally about whether our club caters to corporates at home games and whether it would be a positive thing for our club's financial sustainability. There's a huge gap in our match day income and that of the rags and Arsenal and a large bulk of that is in corporate hospitality in which said clubs earn millions in the £30m+ range whereas we make around £7m.
It would make a significant difference. Currently about 60% of the rags' matchday income comes from corporate/premium seats, which make up just over 10% of total capacity. I think we have about 2,000 or just over 4%. Rags and Arsenal turnover around £100m each.

We know that Arsenal prices are higher than ours and that both their capacities are higher. But if you do the maths it works out to £1,315 per seat per season for the rags, whereas our equivalent is around £420 per seat per season. In other words a third of what the rags pull in per seat. Increasing that to even £1000 per seat would bring in close to an extra £30m per season.

It's just a question of balance but in the end we need all the extra revenue possible to fulfill FFPR and look to a sustainable future [which is surely the right path anyway]. I have good friends involved in the corporate hospitality side and they are making great leaps, with the celebrity chefs, events and so on. If we want to win trophies, this is the modern day price.

I must also say to the OP that I followed home and away for most of my younger years and had to tolerate [within reason] some of the piss-upped ignorant bigots that were as loyal to the cause as me. They had fuck all in common with this brown, middle class, tree-hugging uni type, save that we were all Mancunians supporting City [not that I have an issue with non-Mancs]. Snobbery works both ways but, as as the banner said yesterday, we should all be 'TOGETHER'. CTID

Prestwich_Blue said:
Skashion said:

I would be very interested in the progression of our corporate business since the takeover. There still seems plenty of availability when I look around . I bet we still don't get a quarter of united's revenue. I'm keen to see significant progress jere because it matters

the atmosphere is better when theres less tourists- ie people who don t actually support us like the sampdoria fans at the arsenal match last week. The tickets should be sold to proper blues who actually support us and 1 are willing to sing 2 actually care about the club

the atmosphere at games like blackburn, wigan, stoke are the best aways normally cos everyone is willing to sing and theres more regular working class blues , where as games like arsenal are usually terrible for atmosphere with more coporates and tourists

bluebannana said:
the atmosphere is better when theres less tourists- ie people who don t actually support us like the sampdoria fans at the arsenal match last week. The tickets should be sold to proper blues who actually support us and 1 are willing to sing 2 actually care about the club

the atmosphere at games like blackburn, wigan, stoke are the best aways normally cos everyone is willing to sing and theres more regular working class blues , where as games like arsenal are usually terrible for atmosphere with more coporates and tourists

There you go. Inverted snobbery at its best.

Did you ever consider that we had to players to win 6-1 yesterday on the basis of future revenues based on 'corporates and tourists'? Or maybe you think that the whole purpose of the club is for your mates and you to have a good laugh at away games. BTW I had a seaso for the Kippax in the third division and it was shite football despite the atmosphere being 'more real'.

No disrespect but we are not going to agree. I can see your point of view but it is not the reality for the club now. The same would be true of any club in the world in the situation that MCFC are in.

Just a quick response to Didsbury Dave.

As I've been saying, I've been out of the UK for a while but I always get some inside info.

After the takeover, a radical corporate hospitality upgrade report was drafted by 'someone I know'. Marco Pierre White and that Benson chap then set about upgrading the food side to world class standard. Might sound trite but it matters to people with money. That plan and vast improvement has only just begun. That is matched by the expansion of the ground and the surrounds, as I explained back at Xmas 2010. Not only the training complex and reserve/youth team stadium and so on, but add ons to the side of the stadium and stand alone constructions such as hotel(s). I note recently that such activities have been referred to by others, including the first stage all round three tier stadium for 60k, with an option to expand further. Obviously, there are more global ambitions. As you may remember, I even visited the City Store at Marina Mall in Abu Dhabi last year [just to make sure we really had won the FA Cup!]. I believe that is just the start of the global commercial ambitions. The Eithad complex by Manchester Airport will not doubt provide further facilitation [around 60 acres, I believe]. Eithad policy is to maximise staff from the North West, including air-side. All in all, ADUG/Etihad are undertaking a massive investment in the club, the city and the North West generally. Why Rags, scousers and the like wish to diss this investment is beyond me.

Anyway, PB may be able to help you with the figures, I can only suggest an outline. Don't know if that helps but there it is.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.