Tourists

Tin hat firmly on, and Word document opened for a JMA-style opus.

I reckon I’m probably one of the more qualified to talk on this subject as I am a tourist — only I was a few years ahead of the times.

I have engaged in touristy behaviour (photo outside the stadium and during a game, ridiculous props — but thankfully yet to been seen with a half and half scarf or an iPad).

I have shown cringeworthy ‘celebrity City fan’ traits and media and club attention that suggests that because I jet in from far away I am a bigger fan than someone who battles for 40 hours a week to put food on the table and then find a spare 50 quid to go to the footy on the weekend. I most certainly am not.

I have picked and chosen which games I’ve gone to. And they’ve included some big games too — Schalke away, FA Cup final, final game of last season. And I’ve used contacts to purchase tickets that I am not entitled to under the loyalty point system and I have denied a local blue from that seat on each occasion.

And whilst my family history is Mancunian I was born and raised in Australia by parents who were born in Australia, so it’s a pretty tenuous link to make. I would like to think however that I have proven over the years that I am a true supporter of the club and not some blow in who only like the Man Citizen because of they have my favourite player Kun Aguero and the Bosnian Diamond etc.

But even as an admitted tourist, I have to hold reservations about the future direction of the match going support. I don’t want to play the “where were you when we were shit?” card, but there must have been a dozen UAE City fans on my flight out of Manchester after the QPR game, all dressed head-to-toe in freshly purchased Champions gear. How did they get tickets to one of the biggest games of our life-time?

The amount of half-scarf donning, overseas flag waving, long-lens snapping iPad-tapping wankers populating the stadium now is shocking. But it’s the future.

Which is better for the club? Old mate Danneh from Gorton who has a season ticket in 116 but gets lathered every game, persistently stands, says naughty words to opposition players and makes life tough for the stewards; or one of our middle-eastern friends who buys a ticket on viagogo for a free halal pie, sits quietly and takes photos of his big day watching City and spends £xxx in the superstore afterwards? Rewarding the loyal fans is not in the best interests of the club.

You can’t expect the club to outlay six-figure wages each week and not expect some hikes, but the way that City have become very money hungry all of a sudden is quite sad.

As a co-founder of a supporters’ club, I received an email today that City are looking to bring the Premier League trophy out to Australia shortly. Fantastic, except for this small matter:

“We therefore need to raise funds in order to cover the costs of 4 flights (for myself, 2 security guards and the trophy) back to England.

The challenge is to speak to some local businesses (if possible) to see if they can donate funds to help secure this visit as I would imagine flight costs might be too steep for your branches...”

The club that pays wasters like Nasri £100k+ a week to stink up the pitch every week is asking its fans to go cap-in-hand to people so to pay for airfares! Someone nurse the fucking trophy on your lap, there’s a grand saved right there!

An absolute piss-take if ever I’ve seen one.

So many people fought to retain the soul of the club after the takeover, but the war is over, and we’ve all lost.

Go you Man Citizens!

Wheelsy said:
“We therefore need to raise funds in order to cover the costs of 4 flights (for myself, 2 security guards and the trophy) back to England.

The challenge is to speak to some local businesses (if possible) to see if they can donate funds to help secure this visit as I would imagine flight costs might be too steep for your branches...”

That is an absolute joke, either take it there or don't. I bet they'd easily make the money back in merchandise from newly generated fans anyway.

That's disgusting.

If the club said to us when we requested the trophy at our branch that we have to pay for the G4S lads I wouldn't even entertain such request.

Disgusting that they have the cheek to ask that.

The trophy can't go on someone's lap ffs. It's enormous!

Also why should the club fork out 4k or whatever for flights...?

If you're serious about getting it over there then go and source some sponsorship and make it a big event. if the club just pays for the whole thing it could end up with the trophy being shown to a few hundred(?) Blues and then coming right back. Why should they pay for that?

There will be a budget, like in any business, that covers taking the trophy around, but I doubt that extends to trips to the other side of the world and back. Plus they don't seem to be bothered about the actual cost (wages/accommodation/expenses) of the security guards so I'd say the fact they're letting you do it and are providing their own security is pretty damned good actually.

OK we're sponsored by Etihad so maybe they could offer a discount but surely that's up to you to sort out, not the club... but haven't you already had free flights off them once? ;-) But that does show you're able to mobilise support so get on with it.

Yes we've got rich owners but it doesn't mean they can just stump up cash for everything. Plus it might be fook all to do with FFP costs but it's still costs.

1.618034 said:
The trophy can't go on someone's lap ffs. It's enormous!

Also why should the club fork out 4k or whatever for flights...?

If you're serious about getting it over there then go and source some sponsorship and make it a big event. if the club just pays for the whole thing it could end up with the trophy being shown to a few hundred(?) Blues and then coming right back. Why should they pay for that?

There will be a budget, like in any business, that covers taking the trophy around, but I doubt that extends to trips to the other side of the world and back. Plus they don't seem to be bothered about the actual cost (wages/accommodation/expenses) of the security guards so I'd say the fact they're letting you do it and are providing their own security is pretty damned good actually.

OK we're sponsored by Etihad so maybe they could offer a discount but surely that's up to you to sort out, not the club... but haven't you already had free flights off them once? ;-) But that does show you're able to mobilise support so get on with it.

Yes we've got rich owners but it doesn't mean they can just stump up cash for everything. Plus it might be fook all to do with FFP costs but it's still costs.

some times insurance companies comeback with quotes that are outrageously expensive because they don't want the business I think it is city's way of saying thanks but no thanks

Fanny Fart said:
We're becoming everything we hated United and took the piss out of them for.
You suck the devils cock, at some point you have to swallow.

or bite the fucker off

Wheelsy,
With a very strong Ex-pat community in Australia, I would be asking how much they are thinking of charging, and then seeing if a bar or club would be willing to stage an evening (or two) with the chance to get the photo taken with the trophy, also ask what are the limits on advertising on the background, as I would imagine that there would be a LOT of people wanting to take their children to get their photo take, and someone like VB for example, if they are allowed their brand behind the trophy could be willing to pay for the whole thing, maybe a local media story as well...
All brings publicity to the Aussie Blues, to the club, and turns youngsters away from the dark side.

Oh forget everything I have said, these kids will then grow up, get jobs, with wages, and then want to go and see their team, and bring ipods and cameras, maybe buy a 1/2 - 0.5 scarf, and spend money in the club shop. (though as long as they are not indigenous Aussies, or from the Asian Australian community, maybe it wont look as bad on the tele)

Fanny Fart said:
We're becoming everything we hated United and took the piss out of them for.
You suck the devils cock, at some point you have to swallow.

But did we take the piss out of them for it because we really felt strongly about it? Or was it because we couldn't take the piss out of them for winning trophies year after year while we were shit so we had to scratch around for any old stick to beat them with?

In fact not unlike the rags droning on about empty seats while we stuffed them twice last season and pinched "their" title...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.