Toys from your childhood

We had a whole summer of making pipe bombs, started out with little lengths of copper ended up on Bonfire night when me and a friend made one out of his mum’s outdoor spinning clothes dryer shaft. We threw this four foot long bomb onto the main fire, when it finally went off a ball of flame shot twenty foot in the air, some windows broke in nearby houses and there was shrapnel embedded in the fencing, can’t believe no one was hurt or killed, needless to say that was the end of our career

the field behind our house was an ex RAF base, been abandoned since the 1950's, all the buildings were knocked down but there were loads of overgrown roads. Our last bomb we put under kerb stone at the side of one of the roads. It made an almighty noise and blew the kerb stone about 20 feet into the air, thats when someone called the police.

Finally, the beginning of a strange path. I had this confiscated from me.

View attachment 50243
What is it about chemistry sets getting confiscated, I remember my older brother getting one for Christmas, and WE (as in me as well) were grounded and early bed because my stepdad, a diabetic, had found someone had injected something into his insulin, it coincided with the first ever showing of ‘The Sweeney”, so missed that, was gutted but even more so when I got into school the next day and all my mates were saying how brilliant it was.

We had a whole summer of making pipe bombs, started out with little lengths of copper ended up on Bonfire night when me and a friend made one out of his mum’s outdoor spinning clothes dryer shaft. We threw this four foot long bomb onto the main fire, when it finally went off a ball of flame shot twenty foot in the air, some windows broke in nearby houses and there was shrapnel embedded in the fencing, can’t believe no one was hurt or killed, needless to say that was the end of our career
Do I know you ?

the field behind our house was an ex RAF base, been abandoned since the 1950's, all the buildings were knocked down but there were loads of overgrown roads. Our last bomb we put under kerb stone at the side of one of the roads. It made an almighty noise and blew the kerb stone about 20 feet into the air, thats when someone called the police.

I suspect small scale IEDs played a bigger part in childhoods a few decades ago than many of us would like to admit. We stopped when we accidently put a smallish crater in the local bowling green, if some of the old fellas had found out who had done it we'd have been torn limb from limb.

If you did some of that stuff these days you'd be hauled off on a prevent programme or stuck on some sort of watch list.

Haha.
The memories come flooding back. Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to let a kid have that in his bedroom?
I set fire to my mattress.
Same here. My dad built me a Formica work surface in my bedroom and I noticed it had Flame retardant and Fireproof stamped on the underside. It wasn't. Nor were the curtains.

Last edited:
Seeing as we're all semi pro pyromaniacs, outside of my chemistry I was obsessed with trying to make fireballs with deodorant, the idea was to cup my hands together and have a mate spray inside, it would then be lit and and I'd try and throw it whilst shouting hadouken

Seeing as we're all semi pro pyromaniacs, outside of my chemistry I was obsessed with trying to make fireballs with deodorant, the idea was to cup my hands together and have a mate spray inside, it would then be lit and and I'd try and throw it whilst shouting hadouken

Lol. There's definitely critical mass on here for a dedicated firestarter thread!

so you made explosives?

i did with my chemistry set in the 1980's
Boots and a bike ride to Yates Garden Centre Timperley provided me with enough chemicals to fuel my pyromania.
Weedkiller ( pre fire suppressant days ) and pond filter charcoal granuals from Yates and glycerine and pottasium permanganate from Boots. Fortunately Heath and safety in those days didn't exist. Therefore, the worlds first Scud Missile was conceived at No 93 Hope Rd, Sale back in the early 70's.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.