Transfer Strategy

Impossible for this to be balanced.

You can say we "missed" out on Peps targets such as Sanchez, Maguire, Jorginho, Kane without then mentioning who we have brought in and what we have achieved as a club in this time frame. Not a single player that apparently "rejected" us has done anything other than Jorginho and he should thank himself lucky that he was still at Chelsea when Tuchel took over.

People put far too much stock into what the media report. The way people act its as if we have clowns running the club.

No we didn't have Messi anywhere. He knew what the deal was, hes had the fucking paperwork for years.
He refused the challenge, wanted the easy life and to play walking football with his pals Di Maria and Neymar in the french league.
Well said.

I've long held the belief that our recruitment needs to improve. We're mostly hit and miss. The most frustrating part for me is that we seem to consistently fail to strengthen in key areas before we end up paying the price. We're much more reactive than proactive. We wait for holes to develop, try to paper over them for too long and then suffer the consequences before finally deciding to bring in someone. When we do eventually decide on a target, we tend to go for difficult to acquire options and negotiate for far too long with stubborn counterparts. Once these negotiations inevitably fall apart, it looks like we either give up or go scrambling for alternatives at the very end of the window.

I've long held the belief that our recruitment needs to improve. We're mostly hit and miss. The most frustrating part for me is that we seem to consistently fail to strengthen in key areas before we end up paying the price. We're much more reactive than proactive. We wait for holes to develop, try to paper over them for too long and then suffer the consequences before finally deciding to bring in someone. When we do eventually decide on a target, we tend to go for difficult to acquire options and negotiate for far too long with stubborn counterparts. Once these negotiations inevitably fall apart, it looks like we either give up or go scrambling for alternatives at the very end of the window.
Agree with some of that. Totally disagree on the point about us scrambling for alternatives at the end of a window as we have never done that during the Catalans time here.

We tend to go for difficult to acquire options and negotiate for far too long with stubborn counterparts. Once these negotiations inevitably fall apart, it looks like we either give up or go scrambling for alternatives at the very end of the window.
I wouldn't want us going for players with no challenge because that would tell me they aren't good enough. To buy Kane was always going to be a hard job, one of the best strikers in the world, off the back of a Euros and dealing with a chairman who loves to play the role.

We have a clear strategy for the players we want. If we don't get them we don't bother, you buy second rate and 99% of the time you end up with someone who isn't good enough and ends up stuck on the bench or on loan somewhere because we can't sell them.

We very rarely go "scrambling", we usually have our business done very early. Dias was an exception and even then, it was reported we had looked at him months before, we just thought Koulibaily and Kounde were on the table. We swiftly moved to Dias and sold Otamendi.

We win trophies. Every season.
Something is working.

The Kane deal was hard to get over the line. The strategy’s now on going into winter or next summer. Still a week or best part of this window as well.

We’ll continue to win trophies.

I wouldn't want us going for players with no challenge because that would tell me they aren't good enough. To buy Kane was always going to be a hard job, one of the best strikers in the world, off the back of a Euros and dealing with a chairman who loves to play the role.

We have a clear strategy for the players we want. If we don't get them we don't bother, you buy second rate and 99% of the time you end up with someone who isn't good enough and ends up stuck on the bench or on loan somewhere because we can't sell them.

We very rarely go "scrambling", we usually have our business done very early. Dias was an exception and even then, it was reported we had looked at him months before, we just thought Koulibaily and Kounde were on the table. We swiftly moved to Dias and sold Otamendi.
That's fair enough. It's somewhat expected that the caliber of player we want to sign is going to be somewhat difficult to acquire. However, if we add on top of that having to negotiate with De Laurentiis or Levy, then it makes the job significantly more difficult.

I take your point on the fact that we don't usually scramble for alternatives. I do think that was the case with Dias. I don't believe the club when they seemingly brief journalists that he was our number one target from the start. I find this very difficult to believe.

Following today’s developments in terms of Kane staying put and it looking likely we won’t be making any further signings this window I thought it’d be interesting to have a balanced discussion on our overall transfer strategy and wether the likes of Khaldoon (who promised the fans we would replace Aguero in his end of season interview), Txiki, Ferran and Omar should be scrutinised.

I actually see an argument for both sides here. One on hand I admire the fact we won’t pay over the odds for our targets whilst on the other it’s pretty concerning we failed to replace Kompany and had a poor season that year and have now seemingly repeated the mistake with Aguero.

We have consistently missed out on Peps targets during his tenure here such as Sanchez, Maguire, Jorginho, Kane to name a few. I noticed tonight Pep has confirmed he will be leaving after his contract ends- This of course could be totally unrelated to this topic but thought it was interesting in terms of the timing after missing out on Kane.

Debate away (politely please- we are all blues).
You do know there is 6 days left of the window and not 6 hours?

The trophies won prove 1 thing and that is whatever we are doing it has been a roaring success.

Pointless debating anything else.

The neediness to pick on anything remotely deemed a failure is pathetic.

Come on blues, get a grip ffs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.