Transfer Strategy

I believe our strategy was to buy Grealish and try and sign Kane. If the Kane deal didn't happen then we were happy to go into next season with what we have.
Now you can agree with it or disagree with it but nothing that's come to pass should be a surprise to anybody taking notice of what was being said for the last 6 weeks.

What about it? Pep seemingly made it very clear, Kane or no one. Kane collapsed and Ronaldo just happened to come on the market. Ronaldo isn't signing so we continue as we are.

Is that not why we pay him the most?

Id be fucking furious if he couldn't manage better than Pellegrini.
So would I, but our transfer team is nothing special. Guardiola is masking that. Thats my point.

Once he goes, it really needs to improve or we will be left behind. For now, Guardiola will keep us competitive. But it should not be like that where you are overly reliant on manager.

Well we went into the window with major question marks at Striker, LB, and to a lesser extent DM.

We're likely to exit the window with major question marks at Striker, LB, and to a lesser extent DM.

Shit happens and more often than not the club gets it right. But this window was, at best, poor planning/execution. Our inability to kick on and continue to strengthen after title winning seasons remains baffling.

We have Pep. We have a squad that did the double and was one win away from the CL medal. But that won't always be the case and this window was a misses opportunity, especially as our rivals have improved.

edit: and to be clear I like the Grealish signing and rate Zin and Rodri.

So would I, but our transfer team is nothing special. Guardiola is masking that. Thats my point.

Once he goes, it really needs to improve or we will be left behind. For now, Guardiola will keep us competitive. But it should be like that where you are overly reliant on manager.
The transfer team is working alongside Pep. They discuss the targets and go from there.

Txiki could pick up the phone and have 20 strikers willing to join, doesn't matter if Pep doesn't want them. We aren't going to force players onto pep and sure as fuck aren't going to burn millions on people like Bony who were never good enough and we couldn't get rid of.

It’s bit baffling tbh .If the network of scouts don’t turn each and every stones around the world and find gems, then I’m not sure what the strategy is moving forward. Spending 100 m on grelish and chasing 160 m kane blows out that idea too.
So who knows .

Bit of a shit window but we've had a fair few of them before and still ended up winning trophies.

The dinner time press conferences of both Pep and the paperboy from a body language perspective said a lot. One looked down in the dumps and very downbeat whereas the other came across as cocky with a "I know something you don`t" attitude.

Well come nowhere near the title unless one or two of our midielders scores more than 15. Which is huge ask.

I agree with this. Last year it all fell into place for us with no fans and Liverpool being our only realistic challengers having a mare with injuries. Now they will be back to what they were and Chelsea and utd are far stronger, especially in terms of being goal threats. At least 2 of Foden, Raz, Grealish and Mahrez will have to put up serious striker numbers to compete.

Not impossible but a hamstring that could have been avoided.

Although the best team technically, I feel we carry the least goal threat out of the four.

I feel we have made things Unnecessarly tough for ourselves.

Last edited:
I believe our strategy was to buy Grealish and try and sign Kane. If the Kane deal didn't happen then we were happy to go into next season with what we have.
Now you can agree with it or disagree with it but nothing that's come to pass should be a surprise to anybody taking notice of what was being said for the last 6 weeks.
‘Now is not the time to be content...Now is the time to bring talent that will compete with the starting eleven….We lose Sergio Aguero, but I am confident we will find the right person to fill those shoes…There are other areas within the team that need investment…We will bring quality into the squad in a couple of key positions…’

Khaldoon set out the stall in his interviews, and ‘so, so happy with the squad’ doesn’t convince me, no matter if Pep adds ‘believe me!’ :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.