Trevor Francis?

Captain Oats said:
why did he come to us???? Was we still regarded as a club going places or a big club at the time????

We'd just been to a major final at Wembley again mate and if you'd have asked me then I'd have said it was just the first of many more trips there.

I'm still waiting....

Mr Blue Sky said:
I remember him making his debut for City at Stoke and scoring two goals got fantastic memories of his short time at City only problem was he was very injury prone and didnt play as many games as he should.
I was there that day (Sept '81, IIRC). Brilliant day out; lovely sunny day, and we won 3-1. Tricky Trev bagged a couple on his debut and Phil Boyer (I think!) got the other. There were thousands of blues in the away end that day. Never forgotten it; it's one of the best away trips I had!

levets said:
Swales thought we couldn't afford him and sold him to sampdoria, but the drop in attendances (over 8k) showed that it was a poor decision by the board... the stay aways more than paid his salary.. That was the start of the decline!!!!
Didn't we sell him to pay for the new roof on the Main Stand at Maine Road?

Cheers everyone, I knew in the footballing world he is regarded as a great player, but whenever he is mentioned I always here, "Trevor Francis the ex Birmingham, and Forest player". Sounds like a great player, shame about the injuries, and the contract problems. Does or did he get great receptions on his return to the club either as an opposing player or manager?

Lomas has a lob on said:
Cheers everyone, I knew in the footballing world he is regarded as a great player, but whenever he is mentioned I always here, "Trevor Francis the ex Birmingham, and Forest player". Sounds like a great player, shame about the injuries, and the contract problems.

he was the ENGLAND centre forward during his time at City..
I met him in Bilbao in 82.. We went to the players hotel in algorta. I asked him if he was staying at City and he said he wasn't sure because the club were trying to offload him to Italy.... got he scored in all 3 group games if i remember correctly.

My Dad likes to tell the story that Swales sold him to pay for the new roof on the Main stand.... I don't remember if this was the case.

I do remember the goal against Wolves.. Its got to be one of the best goals I have ever seen.

I was such a shame he was so injury prone.

Captain Oats said:
why did he come to us???? Was we still regarded as a club going places or a big club at the time????

It was an honour to be linked with City in the 70's and very early 80's. He was an awesome player, but sadly injury prone. I can remember him curling in a goal from the edge of the box at the North Stand end and it being disallowed for offside because another player was in front of the defence's line. I can't remember who it was against, but if it were disallowed today, there would have been uproar.

In the days of the first million pound players, unlike Steve Daley, Kevin Reeves, Justin Fashanu and Gary Birtles, Trevor Francis was worth every penny.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.