Trevor Francis?

shadygiz said:
Lomas has a lob on said:
He was a bit before my time at City, and was just wondering if any older posters could tell me what he was like at City? my old man (not a big football fan) whenever he see's Francis on the TV states that he was a great player in his day, I know he was the first 1 million pound transfer to Forest, I just never hear of anything regarding him and City, he wasn't with us long was he?

it is rumoured that he was the first million pound transfer to forest....thats incorrect mate.....cloughy didnt want the title of first million pound player to go to francis's head, so he paid £999,999.00 for him

And put him in the reserves for his first game so (quote) "he wouldn't get too big for his boots"......lol!

Good old Cloughie...........

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqAZsoF-ghw[/youtube]

Listen to what the great man said about Trevor Francis at 1.16.

Hamann Pineapple said:
First time I saw him at Maine Rd he got sent off for a head butt, waste of money. Can't stand him now.

It was Billy Wright the ex Everton captain who he nutted that day and it was towards the end of the season, so if that was the first time you'd seen him in a blue shirt then there wasn't many games left after that as it was about easter time.

Having missed the era of Franny, etc, and despite his injuries, he is still the greatest striker I've seen play for City. His goal per game record was superb. His debut at Stoke was one of my first aways as a kid and his screamer against Wolves (boxing day?) to take up top was a classic. I cried when I heard he had been sold. At a f****** loss as well!

CHT said:
Top Player when we signed him .............England Centre Forward of the time and we beat United to his signature ........Equivalent to signing Shearer in his heyday ......

Absolute class but unfortunately missed quite a few games because of injury including both derbies ..

Sold him abroad to Sampdoria after one season because we couldnt afford his wages , replaced him with David Cross .........Like United selling Rooney and replacing him with Kevin Davies ....Needless to say within 12 months the manager resigned and we got relegated which at that time was unthinkable ..

In hindsight although not knowing it at the time, the sale of Francis was the start of a long dark tunnel which we've all had to endure, which fortunately we are just immerging from.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.