Tribute to the Newcastle lads killed on MH17 at first game

Re: Tribute to the Newcastle lads killed on MH17 at first ga

RE: The tribute to the Toon lads who perished.
Newcastle United has confirmed plans to commemorate the lives of its supporters John Alder and Liam Sweeney, who tragically died on flight MH17 on 17th July.

The Club, in close co-operation with John and Liam's families, have identified the first home game of the new season against Manchester City on Sunday, 17th August in which to pay formal tribute to the two men.

Captains Fabricio Coloccini and Vincent Kompany will lay wreathes at the centre circle before kick-off, accompanied by representatives from John and Liam's families as well as Jimmy Montgomery on behalf of Sunderland AFC, whose supporters' magnificent fundraising efforts Newcastle United wishes to recognise publicly. A minutes silence will then be observed once both teams have entered the field.

Speaking of the Club's plans, Managing Director Lee Charnley said: "Our thoughts and our primary concern since the tragic events of 17th July have been focused on supporting the families of John and Liam in any way we can, and paying tribute to the two men in an appropriate and respectful way to reflect the sorrow felt not just from our supporters, staff, management and players but from the football community as a whole.

"We have received so many messages of condolence from across the football family and the compassion expressed by supporters of all allegiances has been very touching. We all understand that our supporters travel significant distances and make many sacrifices to support their respective teams, and the fact John and Liam lost their lives in the course of traveling across the world to support their team is something felt by everyone.

"What has been particularly heartening has been the tremendous support shown by the staff and supporters of Sunderland. I would like to pay particular thanks and respect to Gary Ferguson whose incredible fundraising efforts have to date raised £33,000 for the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation and the Marie Curie Hospice in Newcastle, at the request of both families.

"Whilst the will to win and competitive tension between our two clubs will of course remain, I am sure the actions of Gary and the many other Sunderland supporters who donated to this fantastic fundraising effort, together with Sunderland AFC who have also been in constant contact with messages of support, has created a new level of respect between our supporters which I am sure will be reflected when the teams meet in the future.

"The North East is an amazing place and the sentiments and actions since this tragedy have shown that in times of difficulty the region comes together as one - black and white or red and white.

"In addition to the tributes to be paid against Manchester City it was very important for us not just to remember Liam and John at our opening game, but in the years to come, to reflect their dedication and support for the club. To this end we will also be creating The Alder Sweeney Memorial Garden which will be a lasting memorial to both men and will become the focal point for all supporters to remember those who are sadly no longer with us.

"The Club has also created The Alder Sweeney Community Award in their memory. This annual award will recognise the efforts of an individual or organisation in the North East that has made an outstanding contribution in their community, often, but not exclusively, through their participation in Newcastle United Foundation projects and initiatives."

The Alder Sweeney Memorial Garden will be situated outside the main entrance to the Milburn Stand. This garden will be officially unveiled in a ceremony, on a date and time to be announced, but prior to the Club's home fixture against Crystal Palace.

remember arthur mann said:
Great feedback from the Newcastle fans, will we ever get back to the old days when fans were all integrated in the stadium and shared good banter ? I suppose I know the answer to that.

Quite a few away grounds Blues and home fans meet and share a few beers together with very little or no bother, Newcastle is in my opinion one of the best for this, though think that segregation inside the ground is here for a few years to come.
Respect to the lads that have organised this, and shame on those that feel that we should not pass on our condolances to those that lost loved ones following their football team.

Well done to all involved. Getting lots of praise on Twitter from fans of clubs all over the country.
<a class="postlink" href="https://twitter.com/theawayfans/status/496670680545763328/photo/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://twitter.com/theawayfans/status/ ... 28/photo/1</a>

In many ways Newcastle remind me of city fans. Loyal and alway stick by there club. Great show of respect well done lads..

CtidBlueMooner said:
Looks very impressive, and great effort by the OP to make this happen.

5kmt55.jpg

Great tribute and choice of words.

My first post on here - have spent an hour or so reading through this full thread - it makes me so proud to be a blue and will certainly have a lump in my throat when I see this at St James' . Well done to all involved.

Just a heads up for Blues going on Sunday....would be good if we joined in:

"Calls are being made to make a 17th minute applause a season long honour to two devoted Toon fans killed on the doomed MH17.
Fans at St James’ Park staged the minute’s tribute to John Alder and Liam Sweeney when Newcastle United took on Real Sociedad yesterday.
And today the Chronicle is calling on supporters to make the acclaim a permanent fixture for all games this season.
We have joined forces with fan groups and Liam’s family who said yesterday’s applause was a nice touch to the game.
Liam’s dad Barry Sweeney said: “I didn’t know they were doing that but it’s a nice gesture. It would be great if they did it for the rest of the season and they would be part of every game.
“They will never be forgotten.
“If Liam knew everyone was clapping for him he wouldn’t have believed it but he would have been so proud.”

The 17th minute was chosen by fans due because of the flight number – MH17. Fanzine writer and lifelong Newcastle United supporter Steve Wraith echoed the calls.
He said: “It’s a great idea and a fitting tribute to two loyal Newcastle fans.
“It takes nothing to do that as a supporter and it is something which should be done.
“It’s something that will build momentum quickly. It started today and hopefully it will keep going and go on for the rest of the season.
“It’s only right to do something and it needs to be done at away games as well as at home games.”

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.