TV Referral System to be trialed in 2015

The game is already broken up to much due to time wasting injuries and subs. Would hate to see any of this referral nonsense happen.

Re: TV Referral System to be planed in 2015

The perfect fumble said:
MaineRoadmcfc said:
Another huge step in killing football. Americans will love it though

Agreed.

With Blatter you always question his motives, he never does anything for its own sake, what does he gain by implementing this?

The TV companies would love it. TV = money.

Re: TV Referral System by 2015

karen7 said:
I have always wanted the video replay system so i like the sound of that so long as its easy and quick.It would cut down on diving for pens and red cards that are a bit iffy.
Hmm, I'd be interested to see how that works in practice though. Because you always see examples of people claiming that it's a penalty because there was contact, when in reality the player was already going down before the contact. Which as far as I'm aware, isn't a penalty by the letter of the rules. It'll be interesting to see whether the referees go by the letter of the law or the popular interpretation of it. Hopefully the latter. The other question is how far back can a coach go in challenging decisions? Because presumably they could only do it once the ball goes out of play, but obviously there's plenty of time when the ball is in play for minutes at a time. What happens if a team gets fouled in their own box and it isn't given, and then the other team goes down the other end and scores? What if they pass it around for 3 minutes first? Presumably they'd have to tell the 4th official at the time of the incident rather than waiting to see what happens next, but the next time the ball goes out (even for a goal) are they really going to go back to an incident that happen 5 minutes ago and void anything that happened after that? Because it's not unusual to see a manager complaining after a game that there was a foul in the build up to a goal.

probably the most analysed and discussed piece of football was 'that ' goal in the world cup 'was it over the line or was it not, until recent technology it was still up for discussion some forty odd years on, take the discussions and the arguments from the game and its dead

The Newcastle disallowed goal against us if the perfect example of why something like this wouldn't work. Even after a hundred replays you still has people disagreeing whether it should have counted or not.

There are dozens of decision which will be wrongly given throughout a match such as a thrown which may lead to a goal. I just cant see how video replays would make the game more fair or enjoyable.

I'm With Stupid said:
karen7 said:
I have always wanted the video replay system so i like the sound of that so long as its easy and quick.It would cut down on diving for pens and red cards that are a bit iffy.
Hmm, I'd be interested to see how that works in practice though. Because you always see examples of people claiming that it's a penalty because there was contact, when in reality the player was already going down before the contact. Which as far as I'm aware, isn't a penalty by the letter of the rules. It'll be interesting to see whether the referees go by the letter of the law or the popular interpretation of it. Hopefully the latter. The other question is how far back can a coach go in challenging decisions? Because presumably they could only do it once the ball goes out of play, but obviously there's plenty of time when the ball is in play for minutes at a time. What happens if a team gets fouled in their own box and it isn't given, and then the other team goes down the other end and scores? What if they pass it around for 3 minutes first? Presumably they'd have to tell the 4th official at the time of the incident rather than waiting to see what happens next, but the next time the ball goes out (even for a goal) are they really going to go back to an incident that happen 5 minutes ago and void anything that happened after that? Because it's not unusual to see a manager complaining after a game that there was a foul in the build up to a goal.

This is the major problem with any potential referral system and for me why it wouldn't work in football. You can never guarantee when the next stoppage will be.

I'm With Stupid said:
karen7 said:

So many questions i agree,a trial would be interesting to say the least
Maybe a replay on the big screen is the way to go and the ref can decide on the spot if he needs to change his decisions,it can't be right that we at home can see what has really happened within seconds but the ref can't given how crucial his decisions are

marco said:
might as well go all the way and have sin bins, adverts on the grass for match of the day, live audio from the ref and large foam gloves for the fans, to think this man will get another term taking him into his 80s is unthinkable but his buddies will vote him in without a doubt

They know which side of their 'pain' or 'brot' has the butter on it!!

There are so many situations where this will be difficult to do. How about the linesman wrongly calls offside when you're through on goal, the ref blows his whistle and everyone stops. The manager correctly challenges it. Now what? You can't exactly replicate a one-on-one with the keeper. And it's harsh to give a free kick or penalty when the other team has done nothing wrong.

There's no chance that technology would get rid of contentious decisions in football.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.