TV Referral System to be trialed in 2015

Some interesting points of view here. Would FIFA be better off making the rules that cause controversy (i.e. that Newcastle goal) more concrete?

Re: TV Referral System to be planed in 2015

The perfect fumble said:
MaineRoadmcfc said:
Another huge step in killing football. Americans will love it though

Agreed.

With Blatter you always question his motives, he never does anything for its own sake, what does he gain by implementing this?

His name will go down in history as being the FIFA President who introduced it.

I would have thought that would please his gigantic ego.

problem is it doesn't stop the likes of Mason, "up to the ref to change his mind" well if they don't want to give it us, they won't change their mind. It has to be like cricket where the decision is then taken away from the umpire, otherwise it's a pointless mechanism other than to give the Dippers and Rags a penalty because they were barely touched.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
problem is it doesn't stop the likes of Mason, "up to the ref to change his mind" well if they don't want to give it us, they won't change their mind. It has to be like cricket where the decision is then taken away from the umpire, otherwise it's a pointless mechanism other than to give the Dippers and Rags a penalty because they were barely touched.

Agreed.

If it overturned a wrong decision made by the ref then it has to be a good thing, if only to stop the likes of Mason from cheating.

chestervegasblue said:
Some interesting points of view here. Would FIFA be better off making the rules that cause controversy (i.e. that Newcastle goal) more concrete?
It would require a fundamental change to the laws of the game though. So much of football is based on the opinion of the referee and lots of situations can be legitimately argued one way or the other. Video evidence wouldn't solve any of those issues.

If anything has to be introduced, I'd restrict it to a video ref checking for blatant infringements (offside, handball) immedialy preceding a goal. He could check that while the players are off celebrating and it wouldn't impact the flow of the game.

I know that doesn't solve the problem of a goalscoring opportunity being denied because of an infringement, but I don't see how that could work anyway.

Dubai Blue said:
chestervegasblue said:
It would require a fundamental change to the laws of the game though. So much of football is based on the opinion of the referee and lots of situations can be legitimately argued one way or the other. Video evidence wouldn't solve any of those issues.

If anything has to be introduced, I'd restrict it to a video ref checking for blatant infringements (offside, handball) immedialy preceding a goal. He could check that while the players are off celebrating and it wouldn't impact the flow of the game.

I know that doesn't solve the problem of a goalscoring opportunity being denied because of an infringement, but I don't see how that could work anyway.

I think an active video referee who can feed information to the referee, and all the referee mics being made audible, would be the best way forward. That way, simple mistakes can be overturned quickly, and the referee can then ask for recommendations on certain incidents in live play, especially with off the ball incidents.

likelihood of two extra stoppages per half? thank you very much say the tv companies. someone did ask what blatter was up to.

like the idea of the video ref in game linked to the ref though. people will forget all about the fluidity of the game as soon as we get shafted by a shit ref

JoeMercer'sWay said:
the god Gerry Gow said:
Umpires in cricket can't be arsed giving decisions anymore knowing they can refer if anything happens

don't think that's true, they just can't be arsed making correct ones once they know they can't have them overturned.

When did you last see a low catch or a run out appeal NOT referred to the third umpire? It's human nature to not want to make a mistake and use the safety net instead.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.