TV Series

Watched two episodes couldn’t get into it maybe it’s not my cup of tea I was looking forward to it to especially with Oldman in it.

In contrast yeah totally different genre Tokyo Vice had me gripped from the start.
It's a bit of a slow burner but a bit funny in parts. Oldmans character is brilliant.

Finished Severance today. Don’t think I’ve been invested and held by a show for years. Brilliantly cast, nuanced writing and gripping in the same ways that Lynch and Kubrick are. Gutted that there is a wait now for the second series. If they make one. Please
Fully agree. It's unique as far as I can tell. There's never been anything quite like it, though there are the faintest echoes of the 60's TV series The Prisoner.

Heard many a good report about this - what streaming service did you catch it on?
Think it is on Apple TV.
Just started to watch Narcos and first episode wasn't as impressive as i expected. Heard a lot of good stuff about this show so will watch next few episodes probably.
It takes a while to exhibit its dazzling range and depth. Stick with it.
Watched a couple of Tokyo Vice liked it kept me interested from the start.

I have only watched the first episode and was a bit underwhelmed. It is rather different from the book and the wooden leading actor lacks the charisma and grittiness of Adelstein as a narrator.

I don't remember him falling foul of his bosses in the same way. Someone who has become so proficient in the language would almost certainly not address his boss in too familiar a manner and would be aware of how hierarchies work both at the office and in terms of his relationship with the police. So some situations, while not inaccurate, were contrived.

I lived and worked in Japan for a year and my wife is Japanese so this is not unfamiliar territory. But maybe the series will grow on me.

The book I would certainly recommend, along with the extraordinary The People Who Eat Darkness by Richard LLoyd Parry (about the murder of Lucy Blackman).

Confessions of a Dog is a very good related film about the Japanese police,

Fully agree. It's unique as far as I can tell. There's never been anything quite like it, though there are the faintest echoes of the 60's TV series The Prisoner.

Think it is on Apple TV.

It takes a while to exhibit its dazzling range and depth. Stick with it.

I have only watched the first episode and was a bit underwhelmed. It is rather different from the book and the wooden leading actor lacks the charisma and grittiness of Adelstein as a narrator.

I don't remember him falling foul of his bosses in the same way. Someone who has become so proficient in the language would almost certainly not address his boss in too familiar a manner and would be aware of how hierarchies work both at the office and in terms of his relationship with the police. So some situations, while not inaccurate, were contrived.

I lived and worked in Japan for a year and my wife is Japanese so this is not unfamiliar territory. But maybe the series will grow on me.

The book I would certainly recommend, along with the extraordinary The People Who Eat Darkness by Richard LLoyd Parry (about the murder of Lucy Blackman).

Confessions of a Dog is a very good related film about the Japanese police,

Never read the book so maybe why I loved the first couple of episodes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.