TV Series

Just watched the first two episodes of House of Cards, and I already know I'm going to enjoy this.

I don't usually like series or films based around politics, but it's very cleverly produced in a way that makes it amusing and entertaining.

Kevin Spacey is also brilliant!
Very good series. Well acted by all the cast.

Just finished watching The Sopranos for the second time. I already loved it the first time through (finished it just before the pandemic started), but this second watch has really bumped it up higher in my estimations. It's probably my second favourite drama series now, behind Game of Thrones in 1st and just above Mad Men in 3rd. A real achievement that set an incredibly high watermark for TV that came after it.

Watching through a second time, I like to see it as a pitch-black comedy, that there's a massive joke being played on the all the characters as they tear each other to shreds over things like "honour" and what have you, when all they're really fighting for are the unglamorous and dirty alleyways of the Garden State that everyone else has been wise enough to leave well alone. Season 2, Season 5 and the second half of Season 6 are my favourites.

With regards the ending, I've never really subscribed to the theory that Tony gets shot - I've always maintained that the scene is about the stress and paranoia Tony now lives with. Carlo's going to to testify against him, Phil's dead but his men are still out there, potentially on the hunt. If you live that way, literally any guy who goes into a bathroom in a diner could be coming out to blow your brains out all over a bowl of onion rings.

However, what I took from this most recent watch is that the final episode is all about things being simultaneously alive and dead. A Schrodinger's cat situation. Whether that's in a literal, medical sense or a more philosophical, spiritual sense. Silvio's alive medically but basically dead, Junior is hanging on but there's nothing behind the eyes, AJ is ostensibly happier but it's because he's completely emotionally deadened.

Casting the net out a little further, Paulie's relationship with Tony will carry on but has no emotional attachment at the centre of it anymore. And then you have the ginger cat that suddenly turns up. Is it just a cat? Is it Adriana's spirit, staring at the photograph of Christopher? Or is it just a cheeky reference to the Schrodinger's cat theory the episode is playing with? It's up to us, the viewers, to decide.

As Paulie himself says in the finale, 'Even in death, we are in life - or is it the other way around?' The man in the Members Only jacket both is and isn't still in the bathroom. He both does and doesn't prepare a silencer to take Tony out. Heck, Meadow Soprano both does and doesn't know how to parallel park.

And so, the abrupt cut to black is the show's way of throwing its own version of the Schrodinger's cat theory at us - once you can't see Tony anymore, he is both alive and dead. He gets shot and he also doesn't. His life carries on and it also doesn't. He doesn't stop believing, yet he does. And so on. It's up to us to decide. If David Chase wanted to come up with an ending that would have people studying it years later, he succeeded.

Last edited:
Just finished watching The Sopranos for the second time. I already loved it the first time through (finished it just before the pandemic started), but this second watch has really bumped it up higher in my estimations. It's probably my second favourite drama series now, behind Game of Thrones in 1st and just above Mad Men in 3rd. A real achievement that set an incredibly high watermark for TV that came after it.

Watching through a second time, I like to see it as a pitch-black comedy, that there's a massive joke being played on the all the characters as they tear each other to shreds over things like "honour" and what have you, when all they're really fighting for are the unglamorous and dirty alleyways of the Garden State that everyone else has been wise enough to leave well alone. Season 2, Season 5 and the second half of Season 6 are my favourites.

With regards the ending, I've never really subscribed to the theory that Tony gets shot - I've always maintained that the scene is about the stress and paranoia Tony now lives with. Carlo's going to to testify against him, Phil's dead but his men are still out there, potentially on the hunt. If you live that way, literally any guy who goes into a bathroom in a diner could be coming out to blow your brains out all over a bowl of onion rings.

However, what I took from this most recent watch is that the final episode is all about things being simultaneously alive and dead. A Schrodinger's cat situation. Whether that's in a literal, medical sense or a more philosophical, spiritual sense. Silvio's alive medically but basically dead, Junior is hanging on but there's nothing behind the eyes, AJ is ostensibly happier but it's because he's completely emotionally deadened.

Casting the net out a little further, Paulie's relationship with Tony will carry on but has no emotional attachment at the centre of it anymore. And then you have the ginger cat that suddenly turns up. Is it just a cat? Is it Adriana's spirit, staring at the photograph of Christopher? Or is it just a cheeky reference to the Schrodinger's cat theory the episode is playing with? It's up to us, the viewers, to decide.

As Paulie himself says in the finale, 'Even in death, we are in life - or is it the other way around?' The man in the Members Only jacket both is and isn't still in the bathroom. He both does and doesn't prepare a silencer to take Tony out. Heck, Meadow Soprano both does and doesn't know how to parallel park.

And so, the abrupt cut to black is the show's way of throwing its own version of the Schrodinger's cat theory at us - once you can't see Tony anymore, he is both alive and dead. He gets shot and he also doesn't. His life carries on and it also doesn't. He doesn't stop believing, yet he does. And so on. It's up to us to decide. If David Chase wanted to come up with an ending that would have people studying it years later, he succeeded.
Spoiler buttons are your friend

Pissed off yellow stone seasons from one is on discovery , fucked if i am going to take on more expense on top of other entertainment costs , deleting season one without watching
Dodgy box is your friend, about £70 a year loaded on a Firestick plus you get to see every City game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.