two deals in process

macmanson said:
Trigger said:
age? possibly!

and it was Hughes who got rid of Dunne.

I liked Hughes, but like most thought he was tactically naive at times given the players at his disposal. But these posts slagging him off are simply annoying/misinformed. It wasn't Hughes who got rid of Dunne. The decisions around which players were moved in or out were made by Hughes, Cook and Al Mubarak as a unit. That being said, it's kind of obvious who drove the notion of getting rid of Dunne. Cook was quoted as saying "China and India are gagging for football content to watch and we’re going to tell them that City is their content. We need a superstar to get through that door. Richard Dunne doesn’t roll off the tongue in Beijing. Ronaldinho brings access to major sponsors and financial reward”

Even Dunne himself stated that he believed he was run out of City by Cook. Hughes only comments about the issue were simply that Dunne wasn't forced out but chose to leave. It's not a fair criticism of Hughes to say he was responsible for Richard Dunne leaving.

Thank you for clarifying that. When I read the other post I remembered what Cook had said early on about Dunne. That was disgraceful.

macmanson said:
Even Dunne himself stated that he believed he was run out of City by Cook. Hughes only comments about the issue were simply that Dunne wasn't forced out but chose to leave. It's not a fair criticism of Hughes to say he was responsible for Richard Dunne leaving.

This 100% ^^^^^^
Welcome to the board and glad someone could see the the truth through the bullshit!

Oh come on......please dont try and blame Cook for getting rid of Dunne.

Hughes put the writing on the wall for Dunne by spending £40 on two new centre halfs, so please dont try a shield Hughes from any blame here.

He may not have put pressure on Dunne to leave but he certainly wasnt in his plans for the team.

Wise up !

Yet another Hughes apologist.

Prophet of Doom said:

Hughes put the writing on the wall for Dunne by spending £40 on two new centre halfs, so please dont try a shield Hughes from any blame here.

He may not have put pressure on Dunne to leave but he certainly wasnt in his plans for the team.

Wise up !

Who is being a Hughes apologist?

The fact is that Cook undermined Dunne very early on. Whether or not Dunne was in Hughes' first eleven is beside the point.

You ever see any other PR bloke do that to a Club Captain?

Fair first post (Welcome) but can I ask what was/is your role at the club ;0)[/quote]

Thanks for the welcome. I do not, nor ever had any position at the club, so no ITK posts from me. ;) I have been involved in coaching and club administration at the amateur level in Canada though.

As for the comment, Mark Hughes has himself publicly stated that player personnel decisions are made by the aforementioned 3 folks.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2558/news/2009/09/09/1489577/mark-hughes-richard-dunne-chose-to-leave-manchester-city" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2558/new ... ester-city</a>

Even when attempting to sign Lescott, Hughes alluded to the fact that managers aren't the main decision makers when it comes to player personnel decisions.

Prophet of Doom said:

Wise up !

PoD.........If you look back at my posts in the past you'll see that i was a Big Hughes Outer but it's unfair to blame Hughes for Dunne leaving.
Dunne was willing to stay even though he knew he might not of been first choice.......he loved the club and wanted to stay, fight for his place like others.
Why do you think he turned Sunderland down after Cook put him on the market without him knowing?

I'll leave it there but those that think it was Hughes that got rid of Dunne are wrong and this is from a Hughes outer that could of used it against him.

Prophet of Doom said:

Wise up !

PoD....Not aplogizing for Hughes here. I wasn't necessarily an outer but I agree with his being let go, although not with the manner in which it was carried out. He was tactically naive and didn't seem to inspire certain players. However, Hughes didn't spend £40 on two new centre halfs, the Manchester City executive did.

They made a move to bring in quality (opinions can and do vary on the quality part) centre-halfs to provide cover and competition for spots. A wise move considering how many goals the team let in last year. Nobody stated that the purchase of these 2 players meant that Dunne was automatically relegated to the bench, just that he was not guaranteed first team football. Had Dunne stayed, I think he would've likely earned a starting spot. Dunne left because he felt he wasn't wanted by Gary Cook, not Hughes. If it was Hughes who shipped out Dunne, why did Dunne not have anything negative to say about Hughes when he left but had no qualms about ripping Cook a new one?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.