two deals in process

tolmie's hairdoo said:
there's an improved deal for Joe Hart happening so couple of people at City saying.

Not the first signing we all want - but still very welcome IMO.

what? a new bid coming in? hope we dont get rid off hart.. defo future england keeper

Project said:
Not sure why some folks are against the idea of Vieira on loan. It's going to be very hard to bring in a top class midfielder in January so it's a decent move to provide cover for the second half of the season. As the injury to Ireland has shown, we have *zero* cover for our midfielders. We had to play Sylvinho in CM against Boro.

City players who can play holding midfielder:

De Jong
Kompany
Barry
Ireland
Zab

City players who can play a attacking midfielder role:

Ireland
SWP

If anything we're fine on the holding role, and need an attacking midfielder player.

Damocles said:
Project said:
Not sure why some folks are against the idea of Vieira on loan. It's going to be very hard to bring in a top class midfielder in January so it's a decent move to provide cover for the second half of the season. As the injury to Ireland has shown, we have *zero* cover for our midfielders. We had to play Sylvinho in CM against Boro.

De Jong
Kompany
Barry
Ireland
Zab

Ireland
SWP

If anything we're fine on the holding role, and need an attacking midfielder player.

Vieira isn't a holding midfielder. Mancini seems to have settled on 4-4-2.. you need someone with more forward acumen and a better passing range than Kompany/De Jong, but more disciplined than Ireland/SWP. Hence why he plays Barry in there. Ignoring semantics, let's call the position "box to box". We only have two of those in the club - Barry and Ireland.

Project said:

The interest in Gattuso was very real - so suppose you can see Mancini's reasoning in all this - it goes well beyond ouright playing capability.

He must feel Vieira shares the same desire and mentality, outweighing the obvious, that his best days were behind him at least three years ago.

My only concern is the pace of the Prem - he faced Arsenal in the Champs League couple years back and was subbed in end.

Project said:
Damocles said:

De Jong
Kompany
Barry
Ireland
Zab

Ireland
SWP

Vieira isn't a holding midfielder. Mancini seems to have settled on 4-4-2.. you need someone with more forward acumen and a better passing range than Kompany/De Jong, but more disciplined than Ireland/SWP. Hence why he plays Barry in there. Ignoring semantics, let's call the position "box to box". We only have two of those in the club - Barry and Ireland.

Yeah, but he's more defensively minded is my point, we rarely play a box to boxer. Also, you forgot Johnson :(

I doubt Johnson will ever play for us again.

Would prefer for us to go for someone younger, unless of course this is a short term thing because the man Mancini wants isn't available till the summer.

Also, am I the only one who, having watched Victor Moses several times, doesn't get what all the fuss is about?

Damocles said:
Project said:

Yeah, but he's more defensively minded is my point, we rarely play a box to boxer. Also, you forgot Johnson :(

I've been stressing the lack of midfield cover for a while - always pointing to the fact that before his injury Johnson hadn't played in months. With his injury it makes the situation even more concerning.

I'm not even sure you can say he is defensively minded. He will always get up to support the attacking third. His goals tally is evidence of that and he gets a decent number of assists. The bigger point though is that in the 442 we look a bit lightweight through the middle when its De Jong/Ireland... in this formation we will have Tevez, SWP/Petrov, RSC/Ade and Bellamy on the pitch so it isn't much of a problem if Vieira is more defensive minded than Stevie. If anything it makes more sense as it provides the balance. I've never felt that Ireland in a 442 works because of the type of midfielder he is.

If Mancini plays 433 then Ireland makes perfect sense at the point of the triangle. And Vieira can provide cover for either De Jong or Barry in that system.

As for the other players in a 442, Zabaleta doesn't have the presence to be in midfield, SWP doesn't have the steel or defensive ability and Kompany can only play as DM and not CM. So I think in the short term Vieira ticks a lot of boxes, with Mancini looking for a permanent solution in the summer when the market opens up and hopefully is able to offer the carrot of CL football.

Perhaps Mancini has divided his transfers targets into two - those where we have a real long term need (full back) and those where we have a short term need - central midfield. I guess in terms of his bonding with the squad he needs to be honest and justify why he is bringing in x or y. If he brings in Viera he can justify this to Ireland if he brings in Frank Lampard Ireland knows he has no future at the club.

Me like anyone else wants to sign lots of players but for the Manager (especially someone new in) its a difficult balancing act bringing in new players and keeping the rest of the squad happy (and motivated).

nmc said:
Perhaps Mancini has divided his transfers targets into two - those where we have a real long term need (full back) and those where we have a short term need - central midfield. I guess in terms of his bonding with the squad he needs to be honest and justify why he is bringing in x or y. If he brings in Viera he can justify this to Ireland if he brings in Frank Lampard Ireland knows he has no future at the club.

Me like anyone else wants to sign lots of players but for the Manager (especially someone new in) its a difficult balancing act bringing in new players and keeping the rest of the squad happy (and motivated).

What greater motivation is there than competition for places?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.