Two more retail companies look doomed

Things need to evolve on the High Street, it’s essentially stayed the same for the last 50 years+ that model is broken, it can’t compete with on line retaywho have out of town hubs that operate at a much lower cost to a High Street rent rate, time the councils woke the fuck up and made it cheaper to open a shop on the High Street. It won’t be long before Amazon open a physical store in the UK, they have trucks appearing in major Cities, they’re testing out Physical stores in the US with no tills, hi-tech cameras scan the store and customers are billed as they leave the store with items, how that will work in reality if gangs target them I don’t know, but it’s the future, and it is coming....
spot on. as I near retirement I can see me converting my shop to flats rather than selling a going concern. glad i'm old and not just starting out.

Homebase went into administration today
Been sold for a pound to the same people who revived HMV's fortunes.

I used to be involved quite heavily in Homebases operations up until around 2 months before the Aussies took over. We knew it was coming, they were going to sack all the top brass, they had their own way, didn't need any help.

Receipt for disaster.

It’s impossible for the high street to evolve, just can’t compete with the internet and retail parks & outlets.

It’s impossible for the high street to evolve, just can’t compete with the internet and retail parks & outlets.

Well it can, just but it needs to be niche markets with excellent customer relation/marketing skills. The days of opening at 9,closing at 5 mon to fri and just expecting Joe Public to wander in and buy has long gone.
We have loads of tat shops, charity shops, hairdressers and florists round here, saturdays are like a ghost town, most are shut on mondays and some still have half day opening on wednesdays and the idiots still complain business is bad....Well try opening when people want something.

I've never seen a Homebase on a high street
True, I should be more precise and say the shopping experience in general, though increasingly the larger stores are the "high street" - we have a huge Morrison / Sainsbury on the main street, next to "normal" shops including a couple of corner stores (god knows how they survive)

Well it can, just but it needs to be niche markets with excellent customer relation/marketing skills. The days of opening at 9,closing at 5 mon to fri and just expecting Joe Public to wander in and buy has long gone.
We have loads of tat shops, charity shops, hairdressers and florists round here, saturdays are like a ghost town, most are shut on mondays and some still have half day opening on wednesdays and the idiots still complain business is bad....Well try opening when people want something.

Fully agree, I have 17 stores and all open over the weekend and Sundays are one of busiest days whilst most other stores in the area are shut!

Yet places like Wilmslow, Poynton and the less well heeled Glossop have thriving Independent shops. I'm no expert but I guess consumers in these areas don't worry too much about online savings, they just like to see before they buy without taking into account costs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.