Txiki and the 4-3-3.......

Rascal said:
Didsbury Dave said:
The formation really does matter.

Only when you dont have the ball.

Surely even you realises that

I can't work out if you're just being silly or genuinely don't know anything about football.

The formation matters whether you have the ball or don't. Obviously.

Soriano:

"It's not as detailed as that. We want to play good football, beautiful football in the sense of ball possession and managing the concepts of football which can give you a good show. That means in the youth academy we haven't changed anything. The basic formation is 4-3-3 because that is the one which allows you to teach the kids how to play this kind of football.

“When it goes to the first team, the manager can make as many changes as he wants but normally what shouldn't happen is that he will make radical changes, will start to develop a kind of football involving lots of long balls etc. We are not telling the manager how to do his job, we are just providing for the manager of the first team to fill the young ranks with technically skilled players who are talented enough to play this kind of football. He can do that as he wants."

Didsbury Dave said:
The-Dogs-Pollocks said:
Didsbury Dave said:
That's why I'm sitting back expecting big improvements. Pellegrini's 4222 involves fullbacks overlapping every time the wider midfielders come inside. Neither zab nor kolorov can do this at all. It also relies on high tempo and direct passing and when your centre halves keep playing 3 yard passes to your holding midfielders, who are coming too deep and taking too long to release, or keep going sideways, the whole system loses its effectiveness.

So what your basically saying is that Pellers has not bought the correct players to play his favoured formation? Micah is more or less permanently injured and he had the chance to sell kola rob but chose to keep him on
Of course I'm not saying that. We have had injuries to five defenders and been badly affected by that.

You stated that zab and kolarov are not suited to 4222 hence why the formation is currently not working, Micah as we all know is very injury prone and Clichy can't play in every game, so I was just wandering if you think we should have bought at least one fullback, or sold kolarov and bought someone more suited to the current tactics?

Didsbury Dave said:
Rascal said:
Didsbury Dave said:
The formation really does matter.

Only when you dont have the ball.

Surely even you realises that

I can't work out if you're just being silly or genuinely don't know anything about football.

The formation matters whether you have the ball or don't. Obviously.

It doesnt at all matter if you have the ball.

Do you say to the player on the right you stay there to recieve the ball and there only as that is our formation? Do you say to Vinny if he rampaging out of defence with the ball WHOA stop Vinny you are out of formation? Oh sorry Zabbs please dont come over here our formation doesnt allow it?

Think about it lad?

We lose the ball and formation is important again as thats how we defend and thats tactically what we will have worked on.

Perhaps im just silly in your eyes for seeing football differently.

I dont think he could of sold kolarov... big loss in value, we'd of paid a chunk of a fee to him, and who'd of paid him the same wages?!? Pellegrini will need 2 more transfer windows to get his players in that will suit his formation and style. Hopefully he will do well enough to get this...

Didsbury Dave said:
Rammy Blue said:
Apologies in advance if this has been covered in other threads as I've not been on today and was forever playing catch-up over the weekend on the MP thread.

Anyway, I was playing football this evening when the thought crossed my mind that am I imagining stuff when I say that wasn't there a statement that we were going to play 4-3-3 right through all levels at the club, as this was "the future"?

Just found it strange that we all seem to have missed this whilst discussing the doubts about our new manager and the performances of late seeing as we've played a rigid 4-4-2 in all 4 games.
Txiki didn't say it. One of the coaches claimed to the press a year or so ago that a message had been passed on to the junior coaches that this was going to be the formation that players were developed on. It was never confirmed, in fact I've a feeling it might even have been denied.

Either way, we've been 4222 all season, and about 60% of pre-season (although I haven't seen Saturday's game). And that's the formation Pellegrini is best known for I believe. At the moment it isn't working, mainly, Because we can't get the holding players working properly and there's no proper link play or fluidity. We have seen that great big gap between the holders and the attackers that we suffered from 2 years ago.He might carry on with it now vinny is back in the hope that his distribution and 'stepping out' will stop yaya coming deep and slowing us down.

It was never my favourite formation but we've used it for most of the last two years with Barry providing the momentum and link play.

But it's giving him the first challenge of his city career and I am keen to see how he reacts.

I disagree Dave

Whenever I watched Malaga with Pellegrini in charge he's always gone with 4-2-3-1, which is why I'm puzzled he hasn't executed it here, we have the personnel?

I agree about the holding players though, Yaya and Dinho need to start getting some sort of understanding and gelling soon because at the moment it's costing us.

RobertBlue said:
I dont think he could of sold kolarov... big loss in value, we'd of paid a chunk of a fee to him, and who'd of paid him the same wages?!? Pellegrini will need 2 more transfer windows to get his players in that will suit his formation and style. Hopefully he will do well enough to get this...

Isn't part of the recruitment process designed to give you maximum flexibility?

Isn't part of a managers charter to get the best out of the players he has available to him and buy into what formation and style he wants?

Isn't part of a managers brief to be flexible enough having studied the opposition of the days strengths and weakness and know what will or should work best on any given day and be able enough to change if required during a game.

I think too much is made of the words style , formation , time to adjust etc etc etc.

What happened to the old simple edict , out smart , out fight , out play , out work , out pass your opposition.

IF MP needs another season minimum to get the players he wants or is given playing his way why don't we forget about this season do a deal with the FA and say we would have finished say 9th with what we had as a compromise and spend the whole season on the training pitch (LOL) sharpening us up for next season.

Sounds a better way forward to me.

Rammy Blue said:
Apologies in advance if this has been covered in other threads as I've not been on today and was forever playing catch-up over the weekend on the MP thread.

Anyway, I was playing football this evening when the thought crossed my mind that am I imagining stuff when I say that wasn't there a statement that we were going to play 4-3-3 right through all levels at the club, as this was "the future"?

Just found it strange that we all seem to have missed this whilst discussing the doubts about our new manager and the performances of late seeing as we've played a rigid 4-4-2 in all 4 games.
I honestly don't think that was actually ever said. He mentioned a "style" for the club at all levels, he mentioned "hollisticism", i think someone jumped to a conclusion with regards to the 433 formation just because that's what Barcelona played with in Txiki's time with them.

I don't recall Pellegrini playing 433 at Malaga Madrid or Villarreal.
4231 or a variation of 442 were the only formations i've ever seen him deploy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.