Txiki Begiristain set to leave role at end of season

Statistically he's the best Director of Football in the history of the game
In terms of number of trophies, probably. He did have the best manager in the world to pick players for though alongside a lot of money, which helps.

When you’re top, people always try and shoot you down, and no one has ever had anything to go on with Txiki. He just quietly get things done.

He was definitely perfect for Pep.

The DoFs at Ajax and sides like Sporting, Porto etc have a different role, but have made the clubs loads of money, whilst being domestically successful at the same time.

Viana will be an interesting and exciting replacement. He’s not guaranteed to work out, but he’ll have all the tools he needs.

His legacy at City has got to be respected... He was the one that persuaded Pep to join us and the rest as they say... Is history.

We've had unbelievable times with Pep in charge and Txiki as director of football... But I think summer of 2025 is the right time for him to leave.

I don't want to sound ungrateful at all, but if Pep was to leave at the end of the season and Txiki carried on as DOF, I think he would get found out a little bit. A lot of the time Pep bailed us out due to how good of a coach he is. Even when we had deficiencies in our squad, he always found a solution and a winning formula.

I don't think Txiki has ever been a very good negotiator and rarely got the big signings over the line. If there wasn't a release clause to activate, he did struggle to get transfers over the line and in good time.

I'd happily take some of Sporting Lisbon's younger players too. Quenda is one to keep an eye on. Diomande has a good reputation and Hjulmand looks the business.

I am all set for a new era. I really hope Pep stays, but if he does leave next summer, does that mean Ruben Amorim might end up following Hugo Viana from Sporting Lisbon?

I would prefer Xabi Alonso as our manager, though.

Last edited:
His legacy at City has got to be respected... He was the one that persuaded Pep to join us and the rest as they say... Is history.

We've had unbelievable times with Pep in charge and Txiki as director of football... But I think summer of 2025 is the right time for him to leave.

I don't want to sound ungrateful at all, but if Pep was to leave at the end of the season and Txiki carried on as DOF, I think he would get found out a little bit. A lot of the time Pep bailed us out due to how good of a coach he is. Even when we had deficiencies in our squad, he always found a solution and a winning formula.

I don't think Txiki has ever been a very good negotiator and rarely got the big signings over the line. If there wasn't a release clause to activate, he did struggle to get transfers over the line and in good time.

I am all set for a new era. I really hope Pep stays, but if he does leave next summer, does that mean Ruben Amorim might end up following Hugo Viana from Sporting Lisbon?

Whilst I’ve probably said similar above, it is a bit like the argument that Pep isn’t an all time great as he’s not done it at Scunthorpe.

Doesn’t sound ungrateful, just sounds like you don’t fully understand the DOF role at City and how much Txiki achieved ,not just with tranfers but the entire football operation.

Doesn’t sound ungrateful, just sounds like you don’t fully understand the DOF role at City and how much Txiki achieved ,not just with tranfers but the entire football operation.

I'm strictly talking about transfers... But I'm sure City will bring in someone else alongside Viana if he isn't able to take on as much as Txiki did.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.