Txiki Begiristain...

tolmie's hairdoo said:
hgblue said:
Seems those who have been saying that 'Marwood must be doing a great job because he hasn't been sacked yet', were wide of the mark after all. I think this is a cracking appointment for the long term viability of the club, but I do think it puts a major question mark over the manager's future with Guardiola currently available and the team effectively crashing out of the CL already.

I agree with your latter point.

But with regards Marwood, it is very much a promotion.

He simply attempted to fill a void left by Cook, and for six months of the year, outside of the windows, was just a bridge between owners and player gripes.

Seriously, for anybody to suggest he has been demoted is way beyond the mark.

City are investing a couple of hundred million and yet Marwood is still trusted to be one of the main elements of this.

The owners are rewarding and acknowledging his contribution.

What I would say about Marwoods new role, is that it sounds one that he'll personally find more rewarding as he's obviously passionate about young English talent.

Cobwebcat said:
Tevez City said:
Damocles said:
Ill leave the WUMs and fantasists to their own world but as PB and others will be able to tell you, Mancini is here for at least two years.

If we sack Mancini, we fail FFP. It's that simple.

For the record, if we signed Hazard and RVP, we fail FFP.

The margins are this close. Marwood wasn't at fault for this past transfer window directly, FFP was.

I'm no fan of Marwood for reasons relating to the technical aspects of the club but his transfer performance last year was a consequence of the wages given and transfers done in the previous three years. The argument about transfers should be considering we had a change of manager and had to force through four pay grades in a short period.

City needed QUALITY and not QUANTITY this summer, I would rather sign two useful players instead of five useless players.

By "useless" do you mean squad players? You can't have 25 world class players and we were short.

From now on I think we can concentrate on one in one out and that will probably be at the top end of quality.

Remember that we also renewed Kompany and Silva's contracts.... Not cheap.

The squad players were already there ( NDJ & AJ )

I don't know whats the point of selling NDJ for 3 Million, and spending +30 Millions on Garcia and Rodwell !

Or spending 6 Million to buy Sinclair for the Carling Cup only !

Damocles said:
To pass FFP, we are talking margins of 10m being deal breakers. We are sailing that close to the edge.

Our big winner is that they discount some wages signed before 2010. I say two years not because of compensation but because it will get us out of the first Monitoring Period and presuming we continue commercial growth, we can afford to sack him.

I cannot see any possible way we can sign big in January unless we sell a big player.

In regards to the CL finances, if we sacked Mancini and his staff, brought in a new manager and his staff and could do so in under 20m then it could be done. But if this new manager doesn't go to the semis or later, we're buggered financially.

I don't see the rush if I'm honest. It's safer to wait two years which also will help our coefficient and get easier groups, than needlessly gamble away the financial or competition sanctions. We should be thinking about a period of consolidation to align our finances with other clubs and FFP.

The first MP we should be ok, it's the second one which I'm concerned about.

I find your logic not really aligned with reality. We bid for Hazard, RvP, de Rossi etc. We just didn't have the sorts of backroom staff that could get the deal done. I do believe that we will make one marquee signing.

Its not really a matter of gambling our finances but investing them for the long term. We must remain a viable asset in Europe over the next 2-3 years. Great academy products are born and bred from great scouting and that doesn't exist when players see the same club bowing out in the early stages of the Champions League.

The fact of the matter is that we may always end up in the Group of Death regardless of coefficients. Just ask Real Madrid what European history does for your draw. We will not be a competitive team in Europe in this crop because we simply do not have a team capable of quick lucid attacks on a game by game basis. We need a player capable of running at fullbacks and skinning them. We do not have a set a of footballer capable of passing the ball around 10 other world class field players.

Tevez City said:
Cobwebcat said:
Tevez City said:
City needed QUALITY and not QUANTITY this summer, I would rather sign two useful players instead of five useless players.

By "useless" do you mean squad players? You can't have 25 world class players and we were short.

From now on I think we can concentrate on one in one out and that will probably be at the top end of quality.

Remember that we also renewed Kompany and Silva's contracts.... Not cheap.

The squad players were already there ( NDJ & AJ )

I don't know whats the point of selling NDJ for 3 Million, and spending +30 Millions on Garcia and Rodwell !

Or spending 6 Million to buy Sinclair for the Carling Cup only !

I like Garcia. NDJ was running his contract down and would have gone on as Bosman for nothing. If I remember right he was offered a huge increase in wages that would have made him the highest paid defensive midfielder in the world but he turned it down. I wish he was still here too though.

Having read the latest Swiss Ramble I think the new tv deal will be our savour with commercial and matchday revenues increasing as we go along.

St Helens Blue (Exiled) said:
Having read the latest Swiss Ramble I think the new tv deal will be our savour with commercial and matchday revenues increasing as we go along.

My favourite blog.

Damocles said:
To pass FFP, we are talking margins of 10m being deal breakers. We are sailing that close to the edge.

Our big winner is that they discount some wages signed before 2010. I say two years not because of compensation but because it will get us out of the first Monitoring Period and presuming we continue commercial growth, we can afford to sack him.

I cannot see any possible way we can sign big in January unless we sell a big player.

In regards to the CL finances, if we sacked Mancini and his staff, brought in a new manager and his staff and could do so in under 20m then it could be done. But if this new manager doesn't go to the semis or later, we're buggered financially.

I don't see the rush if I'm honest. It's safer to wait two years which also will help our coefficient and get easier groups, than needlessly gamble away the financial or competition sanctions. We should be thinking about a period of consolidation to align our finances with other clubs and FFP.

Sorry pal, you are well wide of the mark on this one.

You are essentially stating our owners are prepared to to sit on their hands for the next two years at least, regardless of results on the field, in lip-service to FFPR.

I'm sure they have been prudent enough to include various caveats in Bobby's contract, otherwise why offer him five years, why not four, or three?

It's a contradiction in terms to suggest our owners are long-term thinkers because they believe Bobby is the right man in charge, yet not accommodate future bumps in the road.

As for our financial figures, a couple more weeks, and we'll all get to see what they look like.

I also expect the January window to enlighten a lot more people as to the new direction we will be taking.

Please, can somebody explain how to pronounce his name right?? Everytime I see it I read 'Twixi Bergstain' :(

Regarding FFP/Mancini's contract - if for whatever reason the club did decide to jettison him next summer - I don't see how it would be particularly relevant to FFP. Mancini is on a believe a 5 year 5 million a year deal. He'd be one year into that so there'd be on paper 20 million left to pay him. The reality is though that he'd no more get that full amount than AVB got a full pay out from Chelsea or Mancini himself from Inter. More likely the figure would be much closer to 10 IMO, which although a loss, isn't really on the Ade/RSC/Bridge scale.

Also I imagine that a contract of that length would come with significant targets and objectives and penalties for not meeting those, and also get outs for the owners in terms of if they choose to go a different direction were those objectives not met.

I also think it's pretty clear that there are now two buffers between Mancini and Khaldoun/Sheikh Mansour and he won't be circumventing Soriano and Begiristain the way he did Marwood and Cook.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Damocles said:

Sorry pal, you are well wide of the mark on this one.

You are essentially stating our owners are prepared to to sit on their hands for the next two years at least, regardless of results on the field, in lip-service to FFPR.

I'm sure they have been prudent enough to include various caveats in Bobby's contract, otherwise why offer him five years, why not four, or three?

It's a contradiction in terms to suggest our owners are long-term thinkers because they believe Bobby is the right man in charge, yet not accommodate future bumps in the road.

As for our financial figures, a couple more weeks, and we'll all get to see what they look like.

I also expect the January window to enlighten a lot more people as to the new direction we will be taking.

have you something to tell us :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.