Txiki Begiristain...

BillyShears said:
Braggster said:
Yeah. He'll be onto a loser if he complains too much (in public - what he does in private is a completely different matter). I think over time I've probably been one of the more "pro Mancini" posters on BM but his griping about the availability of funds irritated me no end. He's the manager and is employed to do his job within set parameters. If he's got issues they should be dealt with internally. (The only counterpoint to that is that (IMHO) dealing with Marwood has been a frustrating experience and I think Mancini is entitled to feel that Marwood has not really been up to the job - though that is my inference and speculation only, certainly not based on any special insight into what goes on).

The Mancini/Marwood dynamic comes down to identifying talent. There are three players Mancini lobbied for which Marwood was dead against. Mancini won the battle, but didn't win the war because all three players haven't lived up to expectations, and a new director of football has been brought in to have final say on transfer dealings. I suspect Mancini is going to end up in the same power struggle with TB he had with BM simply because Mancini is not a man to be dictated to, which is exactly what a DoF will do over time.

So who are the three let downs?
Ballo plus two

Braggster said:
Agreed. Exciting times ahead..

Oh and of course, you're quite right that RM will have a tempestuous relationship with TB. Just like he has a permanently tempestuous relationship with his players! A bit like Rafa in that regard..

Haha. At least no one can accuse him of not being passionate!

BTW you should be careful making Mancini/Benitez comparisons. They're not popular amongst the blue faithful ... ;)

-- Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:08 pm --

squirtyflower said:
So who are the three let downs?
Ballo plus two

The four players that Marwood was dead against, and this is from as close to the horses mouth as it gets, were Dzeko, Balo, Kolarov, and Savic. I said three because Savic is gone and in the greater scheme of things wasn't overly expensive.

BillyShears said:
The four players that Marwood was dead against, and this is from as close to the horses mouth as it gets, were Dzeko, Balo, Kolarov, and Savic. I said three because Savic is gone and in the greater scheme of things wasn't overly expensive.

Assuming the aboove is correct........

75m and untold wages that could have been spent far more wisely - and Marwood doesn't know what he's doing?

Braggster said:
BillyShears said:
Totally agree. Appointing FS and TB is probably the beginning of the final phase of our development which will end with us being England's answer to Barcelona in five years time IMO.

Agreed. Exciting times ahead..

Oh and of course, you're quite right that RM will have a tempestuous relationship with TB. Just like he has a permanently tempestuous relationship with his players! A bit like Rafa in that regard..

Agreed but I don't think it's tempestuous for the sake of it. I think Mancini pushes people around him to the limits because he is constantly seeking improvement. Every now and then there'll be a little blowback - so what.

FantasyIreland said:
Marwood doesn't know what he's doing?

Marwood has been aware for a long time that someone like TB was coming in and has never had a problem with it. The criticism of him particularly over the summer was indicative of the need for some to paint Mancini as an infallible genius surrounded by novices.

BillyShears said:
FantasyIreland said:

Marwood has been aware for a long time that someone like TB was coming in and has never had a problem with it. The criticism of him particularly over the summer was indicative of the need for some to paint Mancini as an infallible genius surrounded by novices.

Good afternoon Brian.

strongbowholic said:
BillyShears said:
FantasyIreland said:

Good afternoon Brian.

Haha. The funny thing is - on a personal level I can't stand Brian Marwood. The way he operates behind the scenes at City is certainly not to my tastes. In nature he's very similar to Mancini in that both men carry an air of self importance around which alienates many people around them. But that has nothing to do with his judgment on incoming players, nor on his capacity to do the dirty work which Khaldoun has needed doing around the club in the last couple of years.

BillyShears said:
strongbowholic said:
BillyShears said:

Good afternoon Brian.

Haha. The funny thing is - on a personal level I can't stand Brian Marwood. The way he operates behind the scenes at City is certainly not to my tastes. In nature he's very similar to Mancini in that both men carry an air of self importance around which alienates many people around them. But that has nothing to do with his judgment on incoming players, nor on his capacity to do the dirty work which Khaldoun has needed doing around the club in the last couple of years.

Mancini is god in my eyes as he delivered something that I thought I would never see in my lifetime. Until told otherwise,he is the best man for the job and yes he is a genius to me and my little lad.

St Helens Blue (Exiled) said:
Mancini is god in my eyes as he delivered something that I thought I would never see in my lifetime. Until told otherwise,he is the best man for the job and yes he is a genius to me and my little lad.

To be honest, if you didn't foresee us winning a league and an FA Cup after Sheikh Mansour's investment in the club then I'd suggest you need to improve your foresight... :)

BillyShears said:
St Helens Blue (Exiled) said:

To be honest, if you didn't foresee us winning a league and an FA Cup after Sheikh Mansour's investment in the club then I'd suggest you need to improve your foresight... :)
you did it Billy - an example to us all ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.