Txiki Begiristain

who has though? Apart from Alli, Casemiro maybe, Dortmund are good at it with Aubameyang and Weigl, but they've had to be because they don't buy big that often. It's a handful out of the top clubs, a few are brought through the ranks but these days it's mostly £20m+ signings from elsewhere, even for just pure potential. Transfer fee inflation is barmy.

Yes but a hand full of clubs are getting the odd one or two. Perhaps Jesus may turn in to a bargain.
Even one Ali or one Courtinho can make a big difference.

Spurs bought a back 5 for relative peanuts.Same as we paid for less than Mangala.
Added Ali, Wanyama, Eriksson & Dembele for less than Sterling.

Liverpool picked up Courtino for peanuts.

Hindsight is wonderful, but it's the job of the recruitment department to make sure hindsight isn't regrettable.

Not slating our deals, we're City, there's a premium. But other clubs are picking up value.

We're signing some really underwhelming players for huge sums.
Credit where it's due, some excellent players too.

Our defensive recruiting has been piss poor.
Not all at Txiki's door but, he's head of that department.

Kelechi Iheanacho.

He was golden boy at the u19's World Cup.
We beat several other big clubs to his signature. We hardly unearthed him.
We just won a smaller scale bidding war.

Hopefully the gamble taken on Ihneacho, Sane & Jesus will pay off. I'm confident we'll benefit from Txiki's bravery here.

He was golden boy at the u19's World Cup.
We beat several other big clubs to his signature. We hardly unearthed him.
We just won a smaller scale bidding war.

Hopefully the gamble taken on Ihneacho, Sane & Jesus will pay off. I'm confident we'll benefit from Txiki's bravery here.

Let me just remind you of the comment I replied to :

What we seem to lack is the scouting skills that spot a player just before they breakthrough and end up costing £50 million.

Did we get Kelechi just before he broke through? Yes. Did we spend a minute fraction of what we would have, if we'd bought him a year later? Yes.

The whole "bidding war" rejection of signing an expensive player is complete and utter bullshit anyway. Do you think PSG wouldn't have spent more than £54m on KDB? Of course they would, but Begiristain and co. convinced him that Manchester City was the best option. Just like with Gabriel Jesus and Barcelona and Inter Milan, or convincing Sané it was better to come here and not go to Bayern next season.

We aren't blowing teams out of the water financially, we're convincing the players, and then paying what the selling club demands of any buyer.

Do you think Real Madrid fans bemoan the fact that Bale and Modric weren't hidden gems? Or Juventus fans bicker about how shit Agnelli is because all he did was sign Higuain for £75m and Pjanic was a well known player?

I doubt it.

Last edited:
Let me just remind you of the comment I replied to :

Did we get Kelechi just before he broke through? Yes. Did we spend a minute fraction of what we would have, if we'd bought him a year later? Yes.

The whole "bidding war" rejection of signing an expensive player is complete and utter bullshit anyway. Do you think PSG wouldn't have spent more than £54m on KDB? Of course they would, but Begiristain and co. convinced him that Manchester City was the best option. Just like with Gabriel Jesus and Barcelona and Inter Milan, or convincing Sané it was better to come here and not go to Bayern next season.

We aren't blowing teams out of the water financially, we're convincing the players, and then paying what the selling club demands of any buyer.

Do you think Real Madrid fans bemoan the fact that Bale and Modric weren't hidden gems? Or Juventus fans bicker about how shit Agnelli is because all he did was sign Higuain for £75m and Pjanic was a well known player?

I doubt it.

Sorry, but I imagine the willingness to spend what Bayern wouldnt on De Bruyne convinced him to join, along with the obvious Guardiola. Jesus has admitted himself that Guardiola is the reason he signed. I'd like to think Txiki takes credit for getting the deal over the line. Perhaps the loan back clinched it.
I've always praised Txiki on the good he's done. He's also culpable of some pretty poor things too.

You have literally no idea whether we are blowing teams out of the water or not. We are paying top wack for players though.

Bale & Modric are amongst the very best in the World. Sane remained on the bench whilst we got dicked by Everton.

That's probably the critism that Txiki would face the most, he's signing established stars and we're not really getting better. Is De Bruyne better than Toure who's goals he's supposed to be replacing? Better than in pomp Silva?
I love De Bruyne, but the jury is still certainly out long term.

I've remained fairly critical of Txiki, I think he allowed Pellegrini to take most of the fans anger and blame for what we all percieved as regression in the side/squad. Well Pellegrini is earning his Chinese fortune now and we're still in a mess. Txiki has overseen this regression.
Is it all his fault? Not for me.
Is some of it unavoidable? Yes.

We have spent millions. We have the best manager and it doesn't look like we can compete.
That falls on Txiki, he and his department are the one constant over those four years of regression.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I imagine the willingness to spend what Bayern wouldnt on De Bruyne convinced him to join, along with the obvious Guardiola. Jesus has admitted himself that Guardiola is the reason he signed. I'd like to think Txiki takes credit for getting the deal over the line. Perhaps the loan back clinched it.
I've always praised Txiki on the good he's done. He's also culpable of some pretty poor things too.

You have literally no idea whether we are blowing teams out of the water or not. We are paying top wack for players though.

Bale & Modric are amongst the very best in the World. Sane remained on the bench whilst we got dicked by Everton.

That's probably the critism that Txiki would face the most, he's signing established stars and we're not really getting better. Is De Bruyne better than Toure who's goals he's supposed to be replacing? Better than in pomp Silva?
I love De Bruyne, but the jury is still certainly out long term.

- Guardiola who was Bayern Munich manager, convinced De Bruyne to sign for Manchester City not Bayern Munich.

- Jesus was scouted over 50 times across 2 years before Guardiola was even announced, if anything maybe Pep helped it get over the line, not the other way around.

- Injured player doesn't start in first game back from injury. SHOCKER.

De Bruyne is a world class player, that's commonly accepted around the world of football. If he's not playing well, it's not Begiristain's fault, it's the manager or the player.

I suppose if you live in a world where you twist every single scenario to make it Begiristain's fault then you're right.

- Guardiola who was Bayern Munich manager, convinced De Bruyne to sign for Manchester City not Bayern Munich.

- Jesus was scouted over 50 times across 2 years before Guardiola was even announced, if anything maybe Pep helped it get over the line, not the other way around.

De Bruyne is a world class player, that's commonly accepted around the world of football. If he's not playing well, it's not Begiristain's fault, it's the manager or the player.

I suppose if you live in a world where you twist every single scenario to make it Begiristain's fault then you're right.

Yet you live in a World where a aging and unbalanced squad is nothing to do with the director of football? A squad that the best manager in the World has admitted can't win the title after half a season.

Regards De Bruyne, the entire first team squad knew Guardiola was coming, I don't think it's a stretch to suggest Txiki used it as a selling point.

Sane REMAINED on the bench. You compared his transfer to Bale, do you think Bale would have stayed on the Madrid bench at 2-0 down.
I know you don't!

On the flip side you're absolving Txiki of any blame.

Pellegrini gets it in the neck for Bony-It was his signing blah blah blah-our DoF still bought him knowing Pellegrini was leaving the season after-a complete waste of fucking money.

Peps been hamstrung by our DoF not buying adequate CB's -Otimendi and Mangala are very very average defenders-and the less said about the clubs strategy on fullbacks the better.

Im all for praising him for certain signings but the defensive signings or lack of them have been extremely poor since he became DoF-so poor in fact that this season we are out of the title race in January and next season will equally be as much as transition as this one by all accounts-4 or 5 more players arriving weeks before the season starts to bed in into a system and league they haven't encountered before.

Yet you live in a World where a aging and unbalanced squad is nothing to do with the director of football? A squad that the best manager in the World has admitted can't win the title after half a season.

Regards De Bruyne, the entire first team squad knew Guardiola was coming, I don't think it's a stretch to suggest Txiki used it as a selling point.

Sane REMAINED on the bench. You compared his transfer to Bale, do you think Bale would have stayed on the Madrid bench at 2-0 down.
I know you don't!

I didn't compare his transfer to Bale at all.

So in your view, Guardiola was directing our transfer business over a year before he joined, but never at any point thought to mention possibly getting some younger defenders, and shares no responsibility for it, neither is it his fault that he asked for £90m worth of wingers, but no full backs.

On the flip side you're absolving Txiki of any blame.

Pellegrini gets it in the neck for Bony-It was his signing blah blah blah-our DoF still bought him knowing Pellegrini was leaving the season after-a complete waste of fucking money.

Peps been hamstrung by our DoF not buying adequate CB's -Otimendi and Mangala are very very average defenders-and the less said about the clubs strategy on fullbacks the better.

Im all for praising him for certain signings but the defensive signings or lack of them have been extremely poor since he became DoF-so poor in fact that this season we are out of the title race in January and next season will equally be as much as transition as this one by all accounts-4 or 5 more players arriving weeks before the season starts to bed in into a system and league they haven't encountered before.

We're out of the title race because the forwards aren't scoring.

Everton home, Middlesborough home, Southampton home, Chelsea home.

Those 4 games, 9 points, are why we are out of the title race.

- 2 missed penalties vs. Everton and countless easy chances missed.

- A dozen huge chances missed vs. Middlesborough and Southampton.

- Chelsea home, KDB misses and open goal, Aguero misses a huge chance.

Whatever the merits and flaws of the Director of football, the reason we are out of the title race is our forwards inability to score easy goals, make no mistake about that.

I didn't compare his transfer to Bale at all.

So in your view, Guardiola was directing our transfer business over a year before he joined, but never at any point thought to mention possibly getting some younger defenders, and shares no responsibility for it, neither is it his fault that he asked for £90m worth of wingers, but no full backs.

It's not 'my view', the squad knew that Pep was coming in summer 2015. Demichelis let it slip remember? It was also reported in the Spanish press after a meeting in Amsterdam. Something I was also told by a very reliable source.

I also didn't say Pep was directing transfers, I said he was probably used in the signing of De Bruyne. So a total strawman from you there.

You asked if Real fans bemoan splashing the cash on established players like Bale and Modric.
We splashed the cash on Sane.

Madrid's biggests attacking transfers would not remain on the bench at 2-0 down.

That aside, I feel I've given Txiki credit it where it's due. But he is DOF and our playing squad for which his department is responsible is not fit for purpose. I said the same this and last summer. Pellegrini took the blame last season. Is it now Pep's fault?

In your opinion, who carries the can for our current squad? Unbalanced in age & positionally.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.