Txiki Begiristain

Yes but a hand full of clubs are getting the odd one or two. Perhaps Jesus may turn in to a bargain.
Even one Ali or one Courtinho can make a big difference.

Spurs bought a back 5 for relative peanuts.Same as we paid for less than Mangala.
Added Ali, Wanyama, Eriksson & Dembele for less than Sterling.

Liverpool picked up Courtino for peanuts.

Hindsight is wonderful, but it's the job of the recruitment department to make sure hindsight isn't regrettable.

Not slating our deals, we're City, there's a premium. But other clubs are picking up value.

We're signing some really underwhelming players for huge sums.
Credit where it's due, some excellent players too.

Our defensive recruiting has been piss poor.
Not all at Txiki's door but, he's head of that department.

The difference is Txiki is buying what Pep wants and that costs money, Poch buys what he can afford which means buy from Southampton. They just spent £17m on Janssen which to Spurs is like spending £50m on Samaras.

The difference is Txiki is buying what Pep wants and that costs money, Poch buys what he can afford which means buy from Southampton. They just spent £17m on Janssen which to Spurs is like spending £50m on Samaras.
Spurs have also wasted money in the past. Soldado wasn't exactly performing for instance.

Yes they make mistakes, every club does.

You said other clubs aren't finding bargains, they are.

The Spurs policy is one we should look at.
Not copy.
Continue to sign the elite that we can afford but also look for players a shade below desperate to improve.
Not just Europe's best known talents.

It's what our squad misses most. Young hungry players trying to improve themselves.
I imagine Jesus will bring this in abundance.

We're out of the title race because the forwards aren't scoring.

Everton home, Middlesborough home, Southampton home, Chelsea home.

Those 4 games, 9 points, are why we are out of the title race.

- 2 missed penalties vs. Everton and countless easy chances missed.

- A dozen huge chances missed vs. Middlesborough and Southampton.

- Chelsea home, KDB misses and open goal, Aguero misses a huge chance.

Whatever the merits and flaws of the Director of football, the reason we are out of the title race is our forwards inability to score easy goals, make no mistake about that.

Fair point on the goalscoring, Its a worry tbh as Sterling never was prolific and KDB is a shadow of the player he was last season.

Going to disagree on the defence though mate, its costing us points and it did last season, its simply not good enough ,Otimendi ,Mangala both fullbacks and the keeper are bang average.

Not copy.
Continue to sign the elite that we can afford but also look for players a shade below desperate to improve.

It's what our squad misses most. Young hungry players trying to improve themselves.

2 years ago, Spurs transfer policy was a joke. Why? Because they'd bought loads of players which needed time with a good manager. Perhaps afford our own players the same time and you might see the same outcome.

Not copy.

I didn't say that, I said players who were cheap who become top class have been few and far between at top clubs. I mentioned Alli. Players like Toby were a known quantity, we've also bought Fernando, Delph etc. Who fit that category. The original discussion was about players like Alli who are very rare these days.

2 years ago, Spurs transfer policy was a joke. Why? Because they'd bought loads of players which needed time with a good manager. Perhaps afford our own players the same time and you might see the same outcome.

Spurs wasted a load of money and fucked the guy off who spent it.

Which players should be afforded time?

Fernando? Bony? Mangala? Otamendi?

I'm not sure what you are even arguing. I asked you a simple question. Is our current squad fit for a PL challenge? Is it balanced in position and age?
If you're saying Pep maybe able to polish a turd or so, I agree.

Txiki had had plenty of time. Our squad is still in need of an overhaul. We're looking at anoth 6 or 7 incomings next summer minimum. That doesn't scream job done well to me.

We've got the best manager in the World, spents way over £200 million in two windows and are worse off than this time last year. Someone should be held accountable.
Chelsea have spent about half what we have snd net much much less, they added what they needed, they look miles stronger than us.
Our recruitment whilst exciting is not and has not addressed our weaknesses. Nothing anyone will say will convince me otherwise.

I didn't say that, I said players who were cheap who become top class have been few and far between at top clubs. I mentioned Alli. Players like Toby were a known quantity, we've also bought Fernando, Delph etc. Who fit that category. The original discussion was about players like Alli who are very rare these days.

Delph & Fernando are crap though. Are of no use to us. Both no where near the standard required.
If we line Delph & Fernando up against Dembele & Ali Saturday we'll be ripped to shreds.
Spurs have unearthed Ali & Dier. Bought two centre backs & a keeper for what Mangala cost. Leicester unearthed Mahrez & Kante, Liverpool signed Courtinho for peanuts. Arsenal signed Koscielny for peanuts. Chelsea, Azpilicueta & Courtois.

If Delph had been brilliant or a revelation, or Fernando a barnstorming success, I'd agree. We've signed some excellent players who've matched expectation. Hopefully Jesus, Sane & Stones will surpass expectations.

Sadly the likes of Otamendi & Fernando have just about matched expectations and that would be generous.
Others, not so much.

I'm not saying Spurs are doing better than us, although league form and Saturday may well show a different picture.
I'm suggesting there's value out there. We're not getting it. We're buying great players for big fees and some shit ones too.

Who have we signed that has exceeded your expectations in the last 3 years?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.