Txiki recruitment

bingo! plus its not just txiki who picks the players its a management process? Txiki also wanted dybala when pellegrini demanded Bony yet txiki gets the blame for backing the managers choice? People talking about Mendy and unfortunately it hasnt worked out but he was superb for Monaco and against us in the champions league ties and everyone was buzzing when we signed him? Even Mahrez was possibly not a necessary signing but when we beat the dippers to the title he was brilliant the final 6 weeks of that season?!
Spot on richards.Its going to cost us nigh on £100M+ to find someone even half as good as Kun and its about the availability of that someone.Just because we are Man City doesn`t mean that all and sundry want to play for us or even Pep,for whatever their reasons.
At the end of the day Pep has the final say make no mistake about that something some people dont comprehend.

Last edited:
As hit and miss as it ever has been.

We’ve still not got a left back and have needed one since 2015 when both Clichy and Kolarov started to creep over 30 and both became inconsistent. Mendy isn’t good enough, Zinchenko is good as a stand-in but any lengthy runs in the team he’s just not got the quality, Cancelo is a right back. 6 years is a long time to be waiting for a proper player in a position.

I don’t know how much notice Kompany gave the club about leaving, but he was either too late in telling us or the club weren’t active enough to bring in the right player as soon as he left. It ruined our season last season, not only in defence but we took the world’s best defensive mid out of midfield so it ruined our defence and midfield.

We now have him though. Dias is the business!

Rodri doesn’t suit us, only plays well when he’s not pressed and the game slows down to his pace. Any time the game is fast or especially when he’s pressed, he’s either useless or at best average.

We allowed David Silva to leave and have not replaced him, and boy have we noticed!

We have allowed Kun to get to over 30 and have only one player to play instead of him when he’s not there. Our strength in depth up front is lacking. None of the other forwards can really play as a striker.

Mahrez. We never needed him, he doesn’t suit us, he’s completely the wrong player for this club.

Still a long way to go with this squad yet.

You could have just copied and pasted my post off page 1 ;-)

Nope. I think it’s been poor.

We didn’t replace Kompany when he left for over a year. Only now they’ve finally sorted the CB issue out.

Left back is still a huge issue and it has been for years.

Rodri replacing Fernandinho is criminal. Huge huge downgrade. Who scouted him and said, Yes, he’d be perfect to do that role like Fernandinho did, offer 70m...

Mahrez has not fitted in the way we play and thus played a part in Sane leaving. We didn’t need Mahrez when we already had Bernardo, Sane and Foden. 60m could have gone to a LB or CB at that time.

Im also not happy we have only an ageing Aguero and Jesus as our forwards. No forward planning again.

We will never achieve the highest prizes with a Rodri Gundogan centre midfield. Even after today with everyone happy and Gundo doing well for 3 games they are not good enough if you want to be the very best.

We want to be the best. The top club in world football.
We as fans should hold decisions accountable.
It’s not spoilt or big time to expect the very best for us.
Have the winning mentality as a fan. Only accept the best.

....And for me our decline in the last 2 years is because of decisions off the pitch. We could have achieved so much more on top of the amazing success we’ve already had. Peps working wonders. Others off the pitch, for me, not so....
Great post GX

As hit and miss as it ever has been.

We’ve still not got a left back and have needed one since 2015 when both Clichy and Kolarov started to creep over 30 and both became inconsistent. Mendy isn’t good enough, Zinchenko is good as a stand-in but any lengthy runs in the team he’s just not got the quality, Cancelo is a right back. 6 years is a long time to be waiting for a proper player in a position.

I don’t know how much notice Kompany gave the club about leaving, but he was either too late in telling us or the club weren’t active enough to bring in the right player as soon as he left. It ruined our season last season.

We now have him though. Dias is the business!

Rodri doesn’t suit us, only plays well when he’s not pressed and the game slows down to his pace. Any time the game is fast or especially when he’s pressed, he’s either useless or at best average.

We allowed David Silva to leave and have not replaced him, and boy have we noticed!

We have allowed Kun to get to over 30 and have only one player to play instead of him when he’s not there. Our strength in depth up front is lacking. None of the other forwards can really play as a striker.

Mahrez. We never needed him, he doesn’t suit us, he’s completely the wrong player for this club.

Still a long way to go with this squad yet.
Pep explicitly said the club will not sign a replacement for Dave because Foden is in the team. Reason as to why Foden isn't trusted to play the same position this season is a separate issue.

I agree over Rodri and Mahrez, absolutely dire scouting. We needed an out-and-out winger and got a player who is in similar mold to Bernardo.

We were supposed to be set for years with Mendy at LB, the club couldn't have anticipated him to have 2 career-wrecking injuries. Certainly, we should have replaced him long ago, so that's a negative on Txiki for me.

Txiki got some shitters in, but when he did get it right, they were some fantastic signings.

We did try to replace Kompany. Stones looked likely to takeover the helm but nobody could've anticipated his atrocious drop in form. We also had Laporte and Otamendi (who was great for a season under Pep). It's not easy to replace leaders, Chelsea has yet to even replace John Terry.

Alot of fans wanted Koulibaly, we went for Dias instead, and so far, looked an inspired signing.

As someone mentioned, we can't always get what we want, more-so with FFP attempting to strangle us at every turn. When we don't get what we want, it falls on the head coach to work the best with what he has on hand.

It's easy to focus on the negatives, but we shouldn't ignore the positives. I'd say for the most part Txiki got it right. If he didn't, we wouldn't have that two fantastic, record-breaking seasons under Pep.

Yeah probably,but irrespective of the decision maker.....it was very shortsighted.We are probably the only top team in Europe with such restricted options up top.
TBF if the club did sign a first team striker, either of Gaby or Kun won't be getting game time, so I'd cut Txiki/Pep some slack on that. It's on rare occasions do Pep set up with 2 strikers. We have a group of fantastic players that can step into the striker role if needed (KdB, Sterling, Torres, Bernardo).

Way I see it, the issue isn't a lack of striking options, it's the poor finishing up top.

Yeah probably,but irrespective of the decision maker.....it was very shortsighted.We are probably the only top team in Europe with such restricted options up top.
Can’t think of any top team that plays with one striker and has 3 in the squad.Maybe this season is a season too far for Aguero, but nobody was going to force him out last summer and bring in his replacement.

I’ve always backed Txiki and his signings. Occasionally, some are inevitable going to flop a la Mangala and Mendy. But generally he has brought in top young talent for reasonable fees.

Major Successes:
Fernandinho
Sterling
de Bruyne
Gündogan
Stones
Jesus
Sané
Walker
Ederson
Bernardo
Laporte
Dias

Additionally the likes of Rodri and Cancelo are finding their feet and are starting to look like top players, the likes of Douglas Luiz, Kelechi Iheanacho, Aaron Mooy made us significant profit, and the likes of Ferrán Torres, Nathan Aké and Zack Steffen have significant potential.
To be fair to him I don’t think any of us argued against the Mendy signing at the time

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.