"Typical City"

Where and when did this phrase originate. People use it a lot but I think it's a silly phrase. For it to be Typical city, a series of negative events must have happened to be referred back to.

Anyone know when this phrase was first used?
Is this just a good attempt at trolling?

Everyone is quoting the negatives but I think 'Typical City' also refers to the positives.
We have never done anything the conventional way.
Look at out recent history. The Aguero moment, 3-2 v Villa hell even the 100 point season we left until the last kick of the game to score a brilliant goal that secured the 100 points.

Last edited:
Think you're more or less correct in suggesting the '30s to 'Courtneyneild'.. prior to that (so my old relatives used to tell us young ones), City were top dogs in Manchester, despite the odd relegation and just the one FA Cup win.

The Everton Cup final in 1933 was when City were firm favourites, only to get a chasing and a lose 0-3. The following year, we got back to Wembley expecting to be turned over by Pompey but ended up winning 2-1. Mercurial, or what?!

Then of course, as you say, who but us could finally win a first ever League title in 1937 and follow it up by getting relegated despite outscoring every other team in the league?!

Like every other Blue, I took City and indeed 'typical City' in with my Mother's milk. My first ever game at Maine Road In 1959 saw us put four past then champions Wolves.. only for them to put six past Bert Trautmann! I can still hear the Old Man complaining about 'bl**ding typical City' walking home up Lloyd Street..

And so on and so on it's been ever since. No matter what the ups or the downs have been, I've loved every minute of it and I do believe that along with all my fellow Blues who've all experienced the peaks and the troughs with our wonderful club, that we're all the better people for it as a result, more rounded in character.

Mind, having said that, just make sure we get the f-ing 3 points tomorrow at Wolves, lads..!!
Yeah, despite the downs when we're odds on and the ups when we've given ourselves no chance I wouldn't swap my City years 'n tears for anything!

FA Cup tie away at Luton in 1961. City leading 6-2 with Denis Law scoring all 6 goals. Heavy rain leads to the game being abandoned after 69 minutes.

Result doesn’t stand and the game has to be replayed. City lose the game 3-1 with Law scoring our only goal.

Law’s goals in the abandoned game are scratched from the record books.

Typical City!

Where and when did this phrase originate. People use it a lot but I think it's a silly phrase. For it to be Typical city, a series of negative events must have happened to be referred back to.

Anyone know when this phrase was first used?
Oh my God. Learn the history of your club. We've been to hell and back sooooo many times pre Sheikh Mansour.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.