"Typical City"

Fa cup quarter final in 93 v Spurs, finally thought we might make progress towards a semi final in a cup competition. Mike Sheron nods us in front and I’m sure like everyone else that day that it was going to be our day. Then Spurs took us to pieces and scored 4, a pitch invasion happens to try and get the game stopped and then after the restart Terry Phelan scores one of the greatest solo goals ever scored by a City player but means nothing. Jimmy Hill, Des Lynam and Allan Hanson ripping into our crowd trouble live on BBC1 topped the day off.

You think that's never occurred in our 15 year history? The first two that spring to mind (there's dozens of 'em)....

THAT Real Madrid semi final second leg
THAT Wigan final.
You forgot the biggest ever Jim !!!
Running out of fucking chips.
An absolute scandal and some fucker should have been sacked for that massive cock up.

Cup defeats against 3rd and 4th division teams, that penalty miss v Boro that cost us a European place. Two nil up v rags to win league and losing 3-2. And loads more.

Where and when did this phrase originate. People use it a lot but I think it's a silly phrase. For it to be Typical city, a series of negative events must have happened to be referred back to.

Anyone know when this phrase was first used?
1925-26 was probably the first season or at least the most typical typical City season. Sack manager in November; don’t bother replacing him; get vice chairman to act as manager; trounce Utd 6-1 in League; trounce Utd in FA Cup semi; Lose FA Cup final; appoint manager to manager last couple of League games (after final) when it looks like City could be safe but of course City get relegated with ne boss (and a crucial penalty missed).

One thing to remember about typical City is that it’s not just negative stuff it also results in positive stuff too. Typical City is basically City doing what you’d least expect them to do, so beating Utd 5-1 in 1989 was typical City but so was losing to Luton in 1983. The last day of the 2012 season was typical City in both the positive and negative connotations.

2-0 up against the Rags at half time at Maine Road in 93 for them then to end up scoring 3 in front of their fans to beat us was fooking typically galling

10-1 and then 0-1 to the same team later in the season.
I'll raise you the infamous Luton Town game (no, not Pleat). Denis Law with 6 goals, and the game gets abandoned with around 20 minutes to go, with City leading 6-2. Of course, in the rearranged game, we lose 3-1 (and yes, Law scored that goal as well). The ultimate in "Typical City". I don't think any other club is capable of that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.