Re: BBC say UEFA Coming To Get Us!

johnny crossan said:
jeanlucdehaene.jpg

Uefa boss to scrutinise Manchester City's Etihad deal

Page last updated at 10:35 GMT, Tuesday, 16 August 2011 11:35 UK
By Matt Slater
Sports news reporter
The Etihad deal is "unique and long-term investment", say City
Manchester City's sponsorship deal with Etihad Airways will be analysed by Uefa's financial fair play (FFP) boss.

In a 10-year deal reportedly worth £400m, Etihad now sponsors both the club's shirt and the stadium.

But with City and Etihad sharing Abu Dhabi links, critics have claimed this is an attempt to circumvent European football's strict new financial rules.

City declined to reply, although the club have previously said speculation over the figures was "not accurate".

Continue reading the main story
It is not enough to say 'we've got a sponsorship contract and that's OK' if the contract is out of line
Jean-Luc Dehaene
Uefa Club Financial Control Panel
"I have some questions, yes," said Jean-Luc Dehaene, the chairman of Uefa's Club Financial Control Panel.

"But it would be dangerous for our authority if we take judgements without facts."

The 71-year-old former Prime Minister of Belgium confirmed his panel would "benchmark" all deals to make sure they were "fair value".

"If we see clubs that are looking for loopholes we will act," he said.

"It is not enough to say 'we've got a sponsorship contract and that's OK' if the contract is out of line."

As well as the shirt and stadium, Etihad also sponsors The Etihad Campus which is being developed around the ground. This will create an expanded academy, sports science centre and training ground, as well as office and retail space and a 7,000-seat stadium for youth games.

All of this investment is exempt from the FFP rules as it is not deemed football-related. Any income accrued, however, does count.

FIFA FAIR PLAY AT A GLANCE
Continue reading the main story
Clubs hoping to take part in the Champions or Europa Leagues must balance their football-related expenditure over a three-year period
This is the first season that counts towards the 2013/14 assessment but clubs will be allowed to make a loss of 45m euros (£39.4m) over the three years, falling to 30m euros from 2015/16.
It is not until 2018 that clubs have to bring their annual losses below £8.8m.
The ultimate sanction for any club that fails to comply with the FFP criteria is a ban from European competition.
In an exclusive interview with BBC Sport on Monday, City's chief executive Gary Cook said the deal was "unique".

"The Ethihad Campus, which constitutes some 210 acres is unique in its breadth, depth and length of term," he said.

"It involves the tradition, which is shirt sponsorship, the naming rights of the stadium, but what we haven't seen in football is a campus, creating a place to be, to work.

"We've got a great relationship with Ethihad. It's a long-term programme and they are equally very excited by it."

Cook added that City's recent spending was "not sustainable" but was needed to quickly attain Champions League football.

Manchester City have been the focus of intense scrutiny ever since an Abu Dhabi-based consortium led by Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan bought the club in 2008.

The club made a loss of £93m in 2008-09, £121m in 2009-10 and last year's figures, due in September, are expected to be even worse, despite an increase in turnover partly due to a number of lucrative sponsorship deals with other Abu Dhabi-based companies.

Etihad Airways, for example, is owned by the Abu Dhabi government. The oil-rich state's ruler, Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, is Sheikh Mansour's half-brother.

I wouldnt worry too much,by the look of him we can bribe with a slap up dinner!

Re: BBC say UEFA Coming To Get Us!

Nothing to worry about. I trust our owners know what they are doing and the fair play plans hope to get clubs involved in the community. Our plans are second to none and i cant see UEFA not agreeing. Plus i feel our owners have a far better legal team incase of any odd decisions.

Uefa/Fifa is all about headline making but when challenged they always back down

Impeccable background this bloke
In 1994, he ordered the unilateral withdrawal of Belgian troops from Rwanda, thus lifting the last barrier to the genocide of Tutsis. During questions from the Belgian parliamentary commission into this decision he repeatedly acknowledged no regrets about the decision.

Did I write that thread title btw?

Unfortunately we won't find out the details because that will be confidential betwen investigators and club but I am 100% in believing they won't find anything untoward in this deal.

if this investigation goes ahead then certain other clubs who have been calling for this should start to worry about their own situations, what will happen is clubs who are just missing out on a champs league place each season will start to ask questions about the qualifiers, city should take these guys to court after the investigation for defimation, liverpool arsenal and bayern directors being the main antagonists, if accusations are made then they should have the evidence to back it up?

mancunial said:
this all about pacifying the mard arse clubs especially arsenal and liverpool who know now that their automatic gravy train is about to expire, uefa have to be seen to be trying to get them back into cartel through the back door?

Hey but Andy Carroll is better than Aguero...Quote from RAWK...PMSL...Wankers..And on this deal,the term "legal challenge" and "our lawyers are better than yours" Spring to mind. Have you noticed it always comes out when we have a great result or something.The knives are certainly out for our club,just hope and prey we can deal with any challenge..Wonder if the rags 400million Nike deal is fair?

If you go beyond the somewhat sensational headlines and read the articles properly, he doesn't say he will be investigating City's deal. He says they will be looking at all deals and he won't comment on any until he examines the facts.

That's eactly what he should be saying and is a tactful & diplomatic way of saying he's not going to react to press speculation and that other clubs should keep their noses out of things they know nothing about and leave it to him.

Prestwich_Blue said:
If you go beyond the somewhat sensational headlines and read the articles properly, he doesn't say he will be investigating City's deal. He says they will be looking at all deals and he won't comment on any until he examines the facts.

That's eactly what he should be saying and is a tactful & diplomatic way of saying he's not going to react to press speculation and that other clubs should keep their noses out of things they know nothing about and leave it to him.
I agree, and I suspect the quote is in response to over-eager journos pressuring him/UEFA with questions about whether they will investigate City's deal. Basically, the media (in this country at least), aided and abetted by the vested interests at Arsenal, Liverpool etc., are crying foul. But UEFA are actually not giving anything away and are merely saying that our deals will be investigated on the same basis as everyone else's, which I view as a positive for us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.