UEFA FFP investigation - CAS decision to be announced Monday, 13th July 9.30am BST

What do you think will be the outcome of the CAS hearing?

• Two-year ban upheld

Votes: 197 13.1%
  • Ban reduced to one year

Votes: 422 28.2%
  • Ban overturned and City exonerated

Votes: 815 54.4%
  • Other

Votes: 65 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless of course we suddenly decide to settle with UEFA for a suspended sentence just before the announcement. Anyway we're going to find out soon enough if our owners truly have irrefutable evidence to counter UEFA's claims or that it was all bluster. Personally I'd hope for the former as otherwise it would point to large incompetence on City's part they'd actually refuse to settle and wager a multi million business on ego.

In theory yes. But it seems to me the window for a settlement has now gone. If UEFA agreed a suspended sentence its because they lost in which case its pointless for City to accept any punishment.

Always wondered whether we declined Ceferin’s offer because we doubted his ability to deliver it (Rather than us being overly confident of our position) in the face of the G14 being hell bent on us being banned.
Very good point. But flies in the face of our irrefutable evidence stance.

Always wondered whether we declined Ceferin’s offer because we doubted his ability to deliver it (Rather than us being overly confident of our position) in the face of the G14 being hell bent on us being banned.
It wouldn't work like that. If City said yes and Ceferin failed to deliver the case would roll on. In any litigation, parties can have "without prejudice" discussions which are behind the scenes and may or may not end up in settlement. We are led to believe that City simply said no.

That doesn't add up to me as if we agreed a 'slap on the wrist' & Ceferin didn't deliver then we still had the option of going to CAS.

Unfortunately, this is a free hit for UEFA as if we end up with any sanction on us (even suspended) & that is a win for them. If we get exonerated they shrug their shoulders and move on.

I was pretty confident we would get off or a suspended guilty verdict.

I started listening to the price of football pod cast and now I’m bloody nervous

Before going into CAS, UEFA were confident they have a cast iron case against us and it wasn’t based solely on FFP.

Their view was city failed to cooperate with the new investigation and that’s was why the ban was 2 years and city are pinning their hopes on UEFA failed to follow their own procedures by leaking the information before we knew

Now listened to most of this pod https://podcasts.apple.com/lb/podcast/the-price-of-football/id1482886394

Maguire is a decent academic and tweeter but not great on the topic in this. Ignore

I’m preparing myself for logging onto this thread on Monday and it having jumped 100 pages - I’ll be trying to catch up and the volume of posts increasing faster than I can read them ! Shit .... what’s happened ?
Nothing apart from the suspended sentence/reduced ban bots having spammed it.
I appreciate the thread is mainly a mix of discussion, opinion and conjecture. On the whole it is a good read but the regularity in which those two things pop up despite reasoned explanation why they mostly likely won't happen drives me fucking mad.

Don't get me started on the "get off with it" line.

I haven't listened but will. We aren't getting a suspended sentence - for reasons I've explained many times. If CAS sides with UEFA, the breaches are serious and second offences which means they will not interfere with UEFA's sanctions.

This is not a case on co-operation. There is, in my opinion, no way a 2 year sanction is justified for a subjective cooperation charge. City are bound to be able to show co-operation.

Also if there was anything particularly problematic in terms of Etihad, City would have settled this long ago - no way the majority owners would risk contagion into another business for the sake of a ban or fine in City.

A couple of questions:

1. Let’s say UEFA did offer us a small fine in the first instance as is widely discussed. Let’s also say that City can show that at CAS. Would that not only show that UEFA were not entirely independent of the AC? Also I understand that the argument that a 2 year ban is too much will probably not float so does that mean that the initial small fine offer has no impact at all on the decision....CAS thinking being that City should have taken the offer?

2. With regard to your last paragraph I’ve always thought that too which begs the question how can it be that both sides seem very confident of victory? I know UEFA are divided and may have been pushed into this but they can’t be entirely stupid and must have been advised they have a strong case too. Are one side’s legal advisors crazy? It seems that one side must know the odds are against them; if that side is us I can only imagine that Sheikh Mansour himself has instructed City to fight on a matter of principle which seems unlikely to me. Could both sides feel they have an ace up their sleeve? I feel like something is missing.

I’m still positive given that City would not take this risk without good reason and that they will have a very good idea how the hearing went and seem outwardly very confident of victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.