UEFA FFP investigation - CAS decision to be announced Monday, 13th July 9.30am BST

What do you think will be the outcome of the CAS hearing?

• Two-year ban upheld

Votes: 197 13.1%
  • Ban reduced to one year

Votes: 422 28.2%
  • Ban overturned and City exonerated

Votes: 815 54.4%
  • Other

Votes: 65 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
And our response would be "prove it"

Which is exactly right. In the open forum of a tribunal, it would be alleged that funding provided by Etihad was in fact sourced via a private wealth fund set up by the club's ownership. The evidence against us appears to be a number of historical emails about which nobody knows the context in which they were sent. The club's ownership would deny that the funding provided by Etihad was sourced from the private wealth fund. It would be argued that the emails were never acted upon after regard was given to the rules. UEFA would then ask Etihad to provide accounting evidence relating to how they are able to operate as a commercial entity. Etihad, in no uncertain terms, would decline the request. The tribunal would find that UEFA have been unable to secure meaningful evidence about how Etihad funds its commercial enterprises. The tribunal would find that such information goes way beyond the remit of an organisation whose job it is to regulate European football. The tribunal would find that UEFA reached a settlement over the same matter several years earlier. The action brought against Manchester City would therefore be comprehensively defeated.

So here we are the day after one of the finest days in our history talking and worrying about this shit.
I'm not, I'm looking forward to a cup final at the weekend.

If they do try to ban us we'll go to court and win, in the meantime we'll be carrying on in it, and if they don't who gives a f**k ?

He is a good journalist.

I didn't know him before he launched the whole revelations about UEFA trying to corner PSG by using retroactive devaluation of our sponsors. I had pretty much the same reactions as can be seen here. Truth be told, he has some very good inside sources from UEFA.

You shouldn't take his informations as a wish or witch hunt. You should take it as being the true reflection of UEFA will.

Anyway, this whole story only highlights more how stupid that FFP is. You are under alert of being banned for doing something deemed "illegal" or "ethically wrong", only because the illegal rules prevent you from doing "legal" or "ethically right" business.

No doubt, that spanish (+ Bayern + Juve) lobby is powerful.
Good post.

Our situation is different to theirs in that we did not disclose that our owners or His Highness or whomever was fronting up 7/8ths of the Etihad cash, and that had UEFA known that was the case, we would have been hit with more severe sanctions. Those will be the grounds used to differentiate our case from PSG’s

Whoever was responsible for the appalling lack of security of sensitive information is presumably no longer in post?

Which is exactly right. In the open forum of a tribunal, it would be alleged that funding provided by Etihad was in fact sourced via a private wealth fund set up by the club's ownership. The evidence against us appears to be a number of historical emails about which nobody knows the context in which they were sent. The club's ownership would deny that the funding provided by Etihad was sourced from the private wealth fund. It would be argued that the emails were never acted upon after regard was given to the rules. UEFA would then ask Etihad to provide accounting evidence relating to how they are able to operate as a commercial entity. Etihad, in no uncertain terms, would decline the request. The tribunal would find that UEFA have been unable to secure meaningful evidence about how Etihad funds its commercial enterprises. The tribunal would find that such information goes way beyond the remit of an organisation whose job it is to regulate European football. The tribunal would find that UEFA reached a settlement over the same matter several years earlier. The action brought against Manchester City would therefore be comprehensively defeated.
That's almost word for word exactly how I see it playing out. For the sake of argument, let's say City did cheat the system; there's no evidence that actually proves it. Certainly not in those emails anyway.

Lets bring down the whole house of cards at UEFA. So many vested interests and conflicts of interests in that organisation it is unbelievable. Seeing that absolute weapon Gill sat in the dock would give me more pleasure than winning their trophy.

Would it not be counterintuitive to ban us from the CL and, ultimately, going against what FFP is meant to stand for?

A typical CL season to us is prob worth 80-100mil - about 20% of our annual revenue.

Taking this amount away from us would almost certainly see us breaching FFP rules again...and then what? another ban?

I thought the whole idea of FFP was to make clubs sustainable?
This is actually the stupid part of FFP.

Their true goal about PSG and City, though, is to force those clubs to sell and not compete for new big players. So you'll be weakened on the sporting side. It is all about that.

I don't think there is any substantial news. I've read that the NY Times article and they say that the investigators want UEFA to impose at least a season's ban from the CL. Well of course they must say that. That is nowhere near the end game. We knew they were after that.

The most interesting aspect seemed to me to be this:

"City’s punishment most likely will be linked to an accusation that it provided misleading statements in resolving an earlier case, as well as false statements to licensing authorities in England, and not over the true value of the sponsorship agreements."

Excuse me but that warrants a ban? That too me sounds like a watering down of UEFA's case against City. It's more a case of UEFA being unhappy with City's alleged 'duplicity', i.e. complying with the regulations of FFP and at the same time working against them to minimise the scope of sanctions, but what do they really expect when they changed the goalposts at the death? Probably a bit dangerous to read too much into a journalist's interpretation.

I expect this will go down the same route as the PSG charges. i.e. UEFA sanction City to save face, City appeal to CAS. It gets thrown out, and UEFA an say we tried. Failing that it goes to Court.

No matter what, the so called liberal media will carry on smearing our club instead of looking at the exercise of power to protect vested interest which is what FFP has been all about from the beginning. Mancunians are finding out the hard way what being a 2nd class citizen means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.