Uefa plans third European club competition from 2021

Maybe the time has come for a time warp or history cup to keep the dinosaurs in Europe.

If they want a third compy just have a cup winners cup again. Simple.

I think it could be a nice financial bridge between nothing and Europa, as well as create something for teams like Leicester/Southampton/Watford/Burnley/Everton to realistically fight over.

Teams who would potentially be in it this season -

Leicester/Burnley/Everton

Nice/Bordeaux/St. Etienne

Sevilla/Eibar/Getafe

Braga/Rio Ave

Stuttgart/Leipzig/Monchengladbach

Would also stop the slingshot effect of a top team that fucks up a season and finishes 7th or below getting to challenge for the title because they play half as many games (see Chelsea 16/17)

Last edited:
I know this is a particularly English trait, but most of the PL clubs don't care about the Europa League as it is. They'll care even less about a third-tier competition. The last thing teams finishing 7-9th need is MORE football. Their squads are stretched enough as it is.

And I can't imagine it being financially rewarding either if Burnley vs. Getafe is the kind of fare they'll be offering to broadcasters/advertisers.

This would be moving back to pre champions league days when there was the European cup ,the Cup winners cup and the UEFA cup.

Not enough space left in the calendar to accommodate this micky mouse competition, European football is about the best teams in Europe playing each other not mid table clashes. The other side of it, would the teams involve go chasing after this competition at the expense of struggling in the league? You would have to have a much deeper squad to fight on all four fronts.

Plus what happens to the league cup?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.