UK ‘Special Forces’

Worked with a REME Captain in Cyprus who went for selection but was exited due to a knee injury.. He was invited back to re-apply a second time which was pretty rare I think

We used to do an annual "walkdown" from the top of Mount Olympus to the beach at Episkopi.. around 35 miles as the crow flies I think.. He ran the course and by the time we were half way down he was back up to the half-way point cheering people on...

I think the answer would be “very.”

Isn’t that the point?
I don’t know. That’s why I asked.

They might not need to be particularly fit, just fearless and durable, and it’s more about intelligence... or they might have to be as fit as Nordic skiers and as strong as powerlifters.

But I was being quite specific with my question “how elite?”. I’d like to know their actual level of fitness and strength, what are their distance/times/weights they run/swim/push/pull during their training?

Last edited by a moderator:

They might not need to be particularly fit, just fearless and durable, and it’s more about intelligence... or they might have to be as fit as Nordic skiers and as strong as powerlifters.

But I was being quite specific with my question “how elite?”. I’d like to know their actual level of fitness and strength, what are their distance/times/weights they run/swim/push/pull during their training?

Elite levels of fitness underpinned by supreme levels of achievement mentality.

Worked with a REME Captain in Cyprus who went for selection but was exited due to a knee injury.. He was invited back to re-apply a second time which was pretty rare I think

We used to do an annual "walkdown" from the top of Mount Olympus to the beach at Episkopi.. around 35 miles as the crow flies I think.. He ran the course and by the time we were half way down he was back up to the half-way point cheering people on...

We used to run up it one day, stay over night and run down the next, think it was called the Cyprus walk about and had to do it in teams of three.

We used to run up it one day, stay over night and run down the next, think it was called the Cyprus walk about and had to do it in teams of three.
Correct,, Never did the walkabout myself but did the walkdown around 4 times and also the road race a few times from the trout farm at Platres to Troodos village... Hard work that was...

US Seal Team physical test is readily available. I’m sure it’s comparable.

The physical is, by the time of acceptance into the program, taken as a given. The mental and technical are another matter.

The mentality to move beyond all normal physical constraints, into danger that would scare away most mortals, and then execute your technical skills at the highest possible level is where they separate the men from the boys, and why they can appear “grey” in real life.

Being a roided bodybuilder type doesn’t help you blend, nor does being the loudest in the room.

Those with the competence and ability to belong font need to advertise the fact. That’s all part of the mentality and skill set.

I hope that was a more complete answer. My son is very interested in becoming a U.S. Naval Officer, and applying for BUDS, and thus has more books on the subject than I care to count.

US Seal Team physical test is readily available. I’m sure it’s comparable.

The physical is, by the time of acceptance into the program, taken as a given. The mental and technical are another matter.

The mentality to move beyond all normal physical constraints, into danger that would scare away most mortals, and then execute your technical skills at the highest possible level is where they separate the men from the boys, and why they can appear “grey” in real life.

Being a roided bodybuilder type doesn’t help you blend, nor does being the loudest in the room.

Those with the competence and ability to belong font need to advertise the fact. That’s all part of the mentality and skill set.

I hope that was a more complete answer. My son is very interested in becoming a U.S. Naval Officer, and applying for BUDS, and thus has more books on the subject than I care to count.
There was a guy living here in town a few years back who was an x seal, nice unassuming fellow. I've seen him several times on top of the ski hill in a full blizzard with no hat or googles, just sunglasses. Not saying that made him a hard case or anything but he was genuinely unfazed by the elements. Not sure if that was from training or just the kind of guy he was

There was a guy living here in town a few years back who was an x seal, nice unassuming fellow. I've seen him several times on top of the ski hill in a full blizzard with no hat or googles, just sunglasses. Not saying that made him a hard case or anything but he was genuinely unfazed by the elements. Not sure if that was from training or just the kind of guy he was
Just a little bit of “on the edge of crazy” is probably part of their unassuming make-up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.