UK far right trouble July/August 24

I've travelled quite a bit in Southern and Eastern Africa, India, Nepal and south east Asia. Im not saying there isnt some, but persoanlly i can honestly say not once did I encounter any hostility because of my British Nationality. Also travelled extensively through Europe and it's the same. In fact the people in some countries are more than welcoming, Poland, Norway and the Dutch are very friendly to the Brits as many haven't forgotten the stance we took in the 1940.

Same. Throw in Asia-Pacific as well in my experience. Then there is North America as well. The British don't seem to have a bad reputation, imho, despite what we put a lot of the world through.

I suppose each nation has its "rivalries", though. Neither here nor there really, but I remember the South African owner of our luxury business telling one of our IT directors, who was Australian, that it was good to have him around because Australians are the only people they can look down on culturally.

And that is a low bar .....

:) You are right in that is was just what was happening in the world at the time. If it hadn't been the British, it would have been some other European power and there is nothing to say the ex-colonies would have been any better off.
I'm certainly not trying to justify anything Britain has done historically but many other countries did the same or worse and in some cases much more recently, look at the French in North Africa a truly awful campaign.

Out of interest what are your negative impressions of the UK then, and where do they stem from?
The Economists, the magzine.
It's an example. Uk is famous for it's media, or influence, especially in English language world.
Their articles, I know many people in this forum believe they are "reliable media", but as a local people in my country, it's so easy, you can find it's obvious bias.
You know, every time the British Foreign Secretary or Defense Secretary appears on the screen and says, 'We must defend our values,' they give us a very bad impression. Because we have no intention of instilling values into the UK.
Not good for your country's reputation, to be honestly.
Many people in my country call the UK "搅屎棍" (it means :Although it does not have enough strength to intervene, the UK likes to use the media to plunge other countries into chaos.)
But that's not for any normal people in UK.

The Economists, the magzine.
It's an example. Uk is famous for it's media, or influence, especially in English language world.
Their articles, I know many people in this forum believe they are "reliable media", but as a local people in my country, it's so easy, you can find it's obvious bias.
You know, every time the British Foreign Secretary or Defense Secretary appears on the screen and says, 'We must defend our values,' they give us a very bad impression. Because we have no intention of instilling values into the UK.
Not good for your country's reputation, to be honestly.
Many people in my country call the UK "搅屎棍" (it means :Although it does not have enough strength to intervene, the UK likes to use the media to plunge other countries into chaos.)
But that's not for any normal people in UK.
Fair enough, I suspect that comes from the fact that we consider ourselves bastions of democracy and defenders of liberty to an extent. Hence we offer opinions on the situation in other countries.

China on the other hand is bribing it's way through Africa and South America in its quest onto hoover up the worlds resources. I actually think that's worse in the 21st century than offering opinions via media.

Out of interest, do you consider your own media to be bias free and balanced?

Fair enough, I suspect that comes from the fact that we consider ourselves bastions of democracy and defenders of liberty to an extent. Hence we offer opinions on the situation in other countries.

China on the other hand is bribing it's way through Africa and South America in its quest onto hoover up the worlds resources. I actually think that's worse in the 21st century than offering opinions via media.

Out of interest, do you consider your own media to be bias free and balanced?
Our own media are as plain as water. Of course it's not balanced, but it's plain, no color, no smell, boring. They report foreign news by citing foreign media, just like we don't have any journalists stationed abroad. They seem to sit in the office every day, copying and pasting news from foreign media.

Our own media are as plain as water. Of course it's not balanced, but it's plain, no color, no smell, boring. They report foreign news by citing foreign media, just like we don't have any journalists stationed abroad. They seem to sit in the office every day, copying and pasting news from foreign media.
Fair enough.

Can say that for pretty much anything China does.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.