UK steel industry

I'm not sure if you're joking.
Definitely not, they may have a large majority but I'm sure you're switched on enough to see that all is not what it seems. Tories handed this election to them on a silver platter and since taking office.... well, I'll leave you to complete that sentence.

However, I am not for one moment saying the clowns on the other side would do any better - we really do have a shit electoral system. Still lets see how far Sir Keir will go for the "working people". With the likely increase to Employers NIC, the cost to SME's to implement the changes to workers rights and not forgetting the removal of the Winter Fuel Allowance I am fearful for our future.

They were losing money though. That becomes unsustainable.
agreed but....... the cost of purchase will inevitably increase now we don't have the capacity to make our own premium grade steel, the cost to the environment will increase as the new blast furnaces in India are being built to increase their capacity, plus the environmental cost of shipping tons of steel halfway around the world to meet our demand. It was and is a crazy decision.... still, when we're on the bones of our arse and unable to build warships to defend ourselves I'm sure we'll be delighted with our contribution (not) to saving the environment.

Sometimes re-nationalisation in the name of security should have been more considered.

agreed but....... the cost of purchase will inevitably increase now we don't have the capacity to make our own premium grade steel, the cost to the environment will increase as the new blast furnaces in India are being built to increase their capacity, plus the environmental cost of shipping tons of steel halfway around the world to meet our demand. It was and is a crazy decision.... still, when we're on the bones of our arse and unable to build warships to defend ourselves I'm sure we'll be delighted with our contribution (not) to saving the environment.

Sometimes re-nationalisation in the name of security should have been more considered.
I don’t disagree. All our governments seem allergic to investing in anything. Just throw money at private companies to sort it out and they trouser it and send it to their shareholders.

Bingo, but it's all about short term thinking if your a politician. I wonder what kick backs they got from Tata.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.