UK's first active male professional footballer to come out publicly as gay

There will always be homophobia, just like racism it’s impossible to for it not to exist. Getting more acceptance and a lesser level of abuse has been a huge breakthrough in the past 50/60 years or so.
Sure, but it will never not be a big thing for the person coming out.

Agree, I think though it they don’t want to come out leave them be, they shouldn’t be pressured.

Think most Blues above 40 will remember the rumours about a couple of our players, I think they’re both married to their wife’s though, coming out (if the rumours were true) was obviously not for them.

Crazy it’s taken this long. Hopefully more will feel confident to be who they are.
Big respect to the lad

If players don’t want to come out they shouldn’t be pressured into it by the LGBT community some of whom are getting paid to promote the cause. Fashnu’s daughter said she’s trying to get players to come out, it’s fuck all to do with her.

They just may not be comfortable and it’s no business of anyone else.

I don't think people in the LGBT community are pressuring any individuals to come out. In the main, they are offering support for them to do so if they want to and are ready to. The main source of pressure on a young footballer to come out is through the fact that if they don't do it on their own terms, they'll be outed by the press or gossip mongers the second they dare to go out with a partner in public or are spotted in gay venue.

Obviously it represents progress and hope for gay people to see that it's possible to be gay and accepted across all walks of life and professions. It's wrong to suggest that "the community" is trying to force people out though.

Good luck to the kid and if he does make it then fair play for making the decision early on. There have been others as well

That’s an amazing point I’d not really considered. Yes racism and homophobia both can be terribly hurtful, but one doesn’t come out as”black.” Without the proper structure in place to support more individuals coming out, I fear this might be the exception and not the rule in players coming out as gay.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.