UK's first active male professional footballer to come out publicly as gay

Someone replied to me on twitter suggesting that it could be that its a lot more normalised for younger people, and they might have a point tbh

You would hope so, although I think it’s been normalised outside of football at sixth form/university for at least 10 years. I wonder if we’ll see more academy/u23 players coming out in a very low key, matter of fact way before they even hit the public eye as first team players.

Would also be good to know if Josh Cavallo or Carl Nassib coming out was important to him.

Nah, it has a lot of relevance to many other people. Visibility is important.

The only gay men I saw represented in the world when I was growing up were super camp and effeminate TV entertainers who were treated as a bit of a joke. I concluded that there was nobody in the world like me, that's a very lonely place.

Unfortunately I know people who are going through their whole lives living a lie because of that fear.

There will be kids out there who see this news and it will make a huge difference to them.

ps. I found a lot of people like me.
Fair enough, everybody's different, two of my best mates (not a couple) are very openly gay, and don't share your view, doesn't make you or them right or wrong ;)

The fact that him coming out in 2022 is a massive deal shows we still have a long way to go.

Good on him and hope others follow suit to the point where its not headline news.

Would also be good to know if Josh Cavallo or Carl Nassib coming out was important to him.

"It’s a step into the unknown being one of the first footballers in this country to reveal my sexuality, but I’ve been inspired by Josh Cavallo, Matt Morton and athletes from other sports, like Tom Daley, to have the courage and determination to drive change."

Fair play to him. It shouldn't matter either way but unfortunately, it still does.

Good on him and very courageous.
Let's hope more follow.
It really shouldn't be a big deal, it's 2022.
Respect people for who they are.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.