Underrated albums.

Do you really?

I think it is currently the second best selling debut album of all time and every track on it still gets lots of airplay.

I imagine all the Elvis Costello fans among the rock journo fraternity don't rate it but it's highly rated by those that like AOR/Hard Rock.

Obviously it's more highly rated in the States than here but I think that making a case for an album that has gone platinum seventeen times being underrated is quite the stretch.

Mind you, it depends on how you define underrated: compared to my rating of the album, most people could be said to underrate it. I think it is an absolutely superb album; perhaps the most perfect example of it's (sub-)genre.

I think the follow-up "Don't Look Back" was underrated because of the shadow cast by its predecessor.
I sort of understand why this was suggested.

It sold megaunits on release, particularly in America, but within a couple of years AOR was so reviled by the hipsters that Boston were almost seen as the Devil incarnate and 80% of their fan base had ditched them.

Fast Forward a generation and that album stacks up far better than many of the “masterpieces” by The Knack and The Police and such that became the new kids in town.

“Boston” is a fine album beautifully performed and produced.

Measure For Measure:The John Carter Anthology

This guy is the Brian Wilson of British Harmony Popsike.
He’s been a writer, performer or producer of so many hits and/or obscure classics it’s not true. He’s a national treasure but virtually unknown by the public at large.

Probably going to get shot down, but...

...the last three Kings of Leon albums are also underrated...

Come Around Sundown
Mechanical Bull
WALLS

Yes I get it, the first few albums are great - maybe beyond that. But they got thrown into a genre and everything they did after was discounted. Kinda sad, made some great music.

Like this...

Dazzleships by OMD. Nowadays it’s looked upon much more favourably, but when it came out I was one of only a few people who loved it and it almost kiboshed their career. The show they did at the Apollo on that tour remains one of my all time favourite gigs.

Mondo Bongo by The Boomtown Rats. Great record with some killer tracks. Universally ignored when it came out. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that this was around the same time that people were realizing that Geldolf was a massive tool.

Judee Sill. back in the 70's, singer songwriter, made 2 great albums, none sold well, but she wrote and sang really great songs.

Also Dave Mason, after he left Traffic, went solo and made a couple of very good albums but they got little or no promotion.

Alone together is a great album

Nick Drake Five Leaves Left.

Plus his two other albums Bryter Later and a Pink Moon

Between them they sold less than 20,000 copies in total when released.

I have original copies of all three bought on release.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.