Underwhelmed when they signed but turned out to be pretty good

I remember being a bit gutted when Anders Limpar turned us down in favour of Everton, and we ended up signing Peter Beagrie from the latter instead.
Seemed like we were signing their benchwarmers and cast offs just like the early Kendall era all over again.
How wrong I was. Beagrie, who I had never really rated much, became a cult hero at City while Limpar ended up being an expensive flop and booed by the crowd at Goodison iirc

Kyle Walker.

I can think of many a player of times gone by but I couldn't stand Walker. Came across really snidey and a player I thought wasn't well rounded enough to be in a Pep team.

I quickly realised he was exactly what we needed and his absence in the side for any match is noticeable.

Him and Zabba are the best two right backs we've ever had in my opinion

Strange one - Andy Cole. I thought he was past it and that he scored one for every three chances.

he turned out to be more skillful than I thought and brought the best out of Vassell
Cole was like Bellamy for me, never realised how good he was until he played for us. I'd always thought of Cole as a penalty box poacher but he offered much more than that.

Kyle Walker.

I can think of many a player of times gone by but I couldn't stand Walker. Came across really snidey and a player I thought wasn't well rounded enough to be in a Pep team.

I quickly realised he was exactly what we needed and his absence in the side for any match is noticeable.

Him and Zabba are the best two right backs we've ever had in my opinion
Same here. Back when he was at Spurs, I always thought him to be some overrated English full back who is actually pretty shite when it comes to defending and pretty bang average on the attack.

Came in, adapted to Pep's tactics very quickly and improved his defensive game drastically. Now one of the best, if not the best defensive full back in the league and mainstay for the international side.

For turning a season round the journeyman lower divisions player Andy Morrison. Never expected anything when he signed but his impact was massive would never have been promoted without him. Would never get near the current team but we could certainly use his never say die attitude.

I wasn't pleased when we signed Niall Quinn. I thought he was a Douglas Bader type - good in the air, but useless on the ground.

But he was a better footballer than I had given him credit for. While never a prolific score, his goal ratio was one in three, and he could save penalties too.

Gareth Barry. The type of player nobody really appreciates until he plays for your club.

I’ll never forget what some lad who sits near me said one game years ago,

“He’s a bit fucking shit Gareth Barry but he gets the job done”

Thought it was a bit harsh but I get what he meant by it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.