United (a) post-match thread

Why mentally are they shattered?

Is two winning seasons all a professional footballer can cope with??
Everyone looks shot, these guys have been playing non stop for the last 4 years and yet again no break this coming summer.

Yesterday was somewhat symptomatic of City's season, in the league at least: City have been playing for second place for quite some time. The main causes of that have been done to death (injuries, VAR, key players losing form) but the psychological aspect when there are so many games in a short space of time has possibly led to players trying to do enough to stay in second place whilst saving themselves for other competitions.

The team has the larger issue that they continue to fail to make the most of the attacking opportunities they create and play in a way that means that if teams manage to break on them, they get the space to create good chances to score against us.

The Rags defended well and got opportunities to break but the truth is they didn't put in a single shot that our number one choice keeper should not have saved. Eddie made three horrific errors and whilst he doesn't for me make enough brilliant shot stopping saves, he is not prone many rickets and we should cast yesterday as one to forget for him.

What is most disappointing id that the players could not find it in themselves to raise their game to its highest standards for a Derby. Sure Pep could have picked a stronger side but they should have done better. they still forced the enemy to play a defensive game at home so whilst the battle was lost, the war is still going City's way but summer surgery will be required to ensure the gap does not close.

All well and good; doesn’t mean playing Derby’s without any spirit

got to remember mate the players are not like us fans, only a select few(vinnie, zabba etc) will actually get it like we do, i'm not saying they were not trying, they clearly were but any % drop off will hurt you at this level, the game as a stand alone one in this season where the title has gone and top 4 is pretty much assured meant a lot more to them as underdogs than it did to us(players)

Was thinking the same myself, wondering if I should bother dragging myself out on Wednesday?

You'll be there. All true supporters go to every home game they can. However if you want/need some motivation think about those of us who have to travel a long way and find money for overnight stays. If we can go so can you. Also some of us consider ourselves fortunate enough to have a seasoncard to let us watch top players week in week out so we make sure we maximise these opportunities because that's what they are.

Here endeth the lesson. Give me a wave at the Arsenal game. :)

Think your definition of loyal is questionable.
You could be right.
Certainly our history suggests our loyal supporters are exactly that so will suffer any form of player or management non performance.

Please substitute some for my unfortunate choice of loyal.

Just lost to a team coached by the mental equivalent of Rain Man.

Without Kevin we are as useless as a Mendy cross.

I hate this season. I blame Puma.
To your second point, Foden may well have given the midfield the verve it lacked. As to your third, funny you should say that, I had a bad feeling for the season when I saw that kit in the summer.

got to remember mate the players are not like us fans, only a select few(vinnie, zabba etc) will actually get it like we do, i'm not saying they were not trying, they clearly were but any % drop off will hurt you at this level, the game as a stand alone one in this season where the title has gone and top 4 is pretty much assured meant a lot more to them as underdogs than it did to us(players)

I don’t disagree with any of that, it still doesn’t make it acceptable to go out and play in that manner. It’s short changing the fans. You can’t say well the titles gone therefor we will be half arsed in our remaining league games. Not good enough.

If you asked me to manage a side that played City, I'd say keep it tight and when you win the ball attack Otamendi/Zin side and hit balls over and around the pairing of Fernandinho and Otamendi. That's what happened. On the footballing front the press are lapping it up. The possession shite is thrown in our face when we lose, but they fail to point out injuries or that we're miles ahead in the league with nothing to play for.

United fans "we had more shots"

If you don't think possession is important, shots stats can be skewed too. Both keepers had 4 saves each. Ours had an error. The united defence had to make 33 clearances. Ours had to clear 8.
Bailly who came on very late as sub made 4 clearances. That's the same as our entire back 4 all game (they made 4 clearances of the 5).

But United had more determination, or was it luck. Or a bit of both. Don't take their win away from them but to suggest they are a better team than us is silly. Have their moment - hopefully we can get past Newcastle, and knock them out in the cup again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.