United (A) - Sat 14th Jan, 12:30 | Pre-Match Thread

Match Result Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m liking the pep comments that have come out from the presser today. Sounds like those players got some hard truths. Let’s see how they react. We all know what they’re capable of no better time to prove yourselves.

Don't be surprised if we see something unusual like Rodders in the back line with Walker, Laporte and Ake with Gundog holding!! Pep does come up with some weird formations. This is a must win game but my arse is tweaking and will be preceded by copious pints of the Amber Nectar!!

It's such a shame Stones is not fit for this, his calmness on the ball would've been so helpful in dealing with United's press. That's why I think Laporte has to start and I'm guessing Akanji will be alongside him as he's our only available right footed centre half.

Normally I would say Walker is nailed on to start to deal with Rashford but if he's the full-back dropping in to the back three whilst we're in possession, then that leaves Cancelo as our best option for the inverted full-back role on the other side and given his lack of form it seems unlikely he'll start. It also seems harsh to leave Ake out as he's been really good this season. However, if we play Ake at left-back then Lewis is more likely to play at right-back as he's more comfortable moving in to midfield but then you lose Walker's pace. It's a difficult decision for Pep to make but I think those are the only two full-back combinations we can play.

Midfield is slightly easier. Surely it will be Rodri, De Bruyne and Bernardo. The only way Gundogan plays is if we drop KDB which is never going to happen in a game of this magnitude, we drop Bernardo which would be suicide as we need his energy and ball retention in midfield or we play Bernardo on the right wing which is possible but seems pointless given Mahrez's current form.

The forward line is more difficult. Haaland obviously starts but I'm not sure who plays either side of him, I guess it depends on how we approach the game. I get that we've gone ultra conservative this season with our wingers taking less risks because Pep is worried about our vulnerability now we have one less man in midfield but what is the point in having the best striker in the world and then having our two other forwards constantly passing backwards, it just seems so counter productive. I think Pep just needs to accept that we're not going to have quite as much control with Haaland in the team and just embrace it and let the opposition worry about us rather than trying to eliminate any possible chance of conceding a goal because it's stifling our attacking play in my opinion. If he's more worried about United's threats than imposing our own game then I think he'll go cautious and pick Grealish. Personally I would go with Mahrez & Foden and give them more licence to run at their full-back as we know they're both capable of beating them. I feel like the team needs to rediscover the joy we played with in previous seasons and even earlier this season, hopefully this game is the perfect catalyst.

Think about it logically we need to create going forward so he has to play also with laporte left side centre back akanji right with walker right back we could make it a back 3 when we are defending.
I get that it is a tough call. We won’t be able to over commit Walker because of Rashford’s threat and some creativity from LB would be great, but Cancelo was such a liability in midweek it just feels like too big a risk.

It's such a shame Stones is not fit for this, his calmness on the ball would've been so helpful in dealing with United's press. That's why I think Laporte has to start and I'm guessing Akanji will be alongside him as he's our only available right footed centre half.

Normally I would say Walker is nailed on to start to deal with Rashford but if he's the full-back dropping in to the back three whilst we're in possession, then that leaves Cancelo as our best option for the inverted full-back role on the other side and given his lack of form it seems unlikely he'll start. It also seems harsh to leave Ake out as he's been really good this season. However, if we play Ake at left-back then Lewis is more likely to play at right-back as he's more comfortable moving in to midfield but then you lose Walker's pace. It's a difficult decision for Pep to make but I think those are the only two full-back combinations we can play.

Midfield is slightly easier. Surely it will be Rodri, De Bruyne and Bernardo. The only way Gundogan plays is if we drop KDB which is never going to happen in a game of this magnitude, we drop Bernardo which would be suicide as we need his energy and ball retention in midfield or we play Bernardo on the right wing which is possible but seems pointless given Mahrez's current form.

The forward line is more difficult. Haaland obviously starts but I'm not sure who plays either side of him, I guess it depends on how we approach the game. I get that we've gone ultra conservative this season with our wingers taking less risks because Pep is worried about our vulnerability now we have one less man in midfield but what is the point in having the best striker in the world and then having our two other forwards constantly passing backwards, it just seems so counter productive. I think Pep just needs to accept that we're not going to have quite as much control with Haaland in the team and just embrace it and let the opposition worry about us rather than trying to eliminate any possible chance of conceding a goal because it's stifling our attacking play in my opinion. If he's more worried about United's threats than imposing our own game then I think he'll go cautious and pick Grealish. Personally I would go with Mahrez & Foden and give them more licence to run at their full-back as we know they're both capable of beating them. I feel like the team needs to rediscover the joy we played with in previous seasons and even earlier this season, hopefully this game is the perfect catalyst.
Great post - couldn’t agree more.

Totally agree with this. Foden however depends where he is played. He was great against Chelsea in the middle but has seemed out of it out wide. Can’t see Pep playing him in the middle for this game though
That performance sniffed of someone who knew they wouldn’t start at weekend for me; may be wrong and we’ll see when the team sheet is released; however, what he did against the right channel in the 6-3, regardless of form, he plays, he dragged their back line all over, they didn’t have a scooby to combat it and it afforded Thor more space than a partially sighted person parking a Winnebago; not advocating the attitude, and certainly see why he may be benched (if not predetermined), but as a manc lad, knowing the importance to the fan base, the natural enthusiasm and levels would increase in such games; this being said, I see Mahrez and Bernie on the flanks, with Rodders, KDB and Gundogan central

I don't know whether I would use this system tomorrow, but I would like to see it tried out.

Ederson

Rico Walker Stones Ake Gomez

Rodri

Foden Alvarez Bernardo

Haaland

Obviously you could swap different players, like KDB, Mahrez or Gundo into the attacking midfield 3, or Laporte, Akanji or Dias into the back 3. I know Gomez is poor defensively but he has a great cross on him. I like Ake and Stones but I'm fed up with them being in advanced positions and being unable to create anything. I think the current system we play the opposition nearly appear to let them have the ball in advanced areas as they know nothing will come of it. Also the inverted wingers nearly always play safe. This formation has a lot of energy in behind Haaland and hopefully better service with the two wing backs. Probably not for tomorrow mind. C'mon City let's smash them!

Look I will be honest, I was never good at football back when I was at school (I was half-decent at rugby) so what do I know? But we had a fast player called Brian B. and when we played a team better than us the manager/teacher just told Brian to stick to their best midfield player and never let them get on the ball and it often worked. In my opinion I think their best player currently is Casemiro. Whatever happened to man-marking? I would play Kalvin Phillips for 30 mins to just stick to and disrupt Casemiro. He is several years younger, so should be able to do that. Then because of this 5 sub rule, swap him for someone else to do likewise for another 30 mins and finally a third person for the last half-an-hour. But I bet after 60mins of that, Casemiro would be subbed-off and we would be 5-0 up anyway.

Well that's my opinion.

Walker has to play in a flat back four, no inverted fullbacks, no Lewis, his time will come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.