United (H) - Sun 6th March, 16:30 | Pre-Match Thread

Match Result Prediction

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's exactly the tactical situation here IMO. We are exposed as a team when we give the ball away. United are like Spurs -a fast breaking team, and it's why we lose games to those teams. KDB in particular has been guilty of giving the ball away repeatedly in recent weeks/months. It used to be a part of his game you tolerated because the rewards were goals - he took risk which paid off and lost the ball sometimes in the process. Pep won't do it but on this occasion I'd drop him. Sterling, less so. When he loses possession it's in less dangerous areas. Both of them are trying to play their way into form but this might not be the game for it.

Pep's going to play them both I'm sure, though,judging by Tuesday's team. The wildcard is Glrealish. I've a feeling Pep might want to include him after his midweek performance. That might see Sterling on the bench.

Pep went with Grealish twice against Chelsea, another quick counter team, so I would not be surprised if he does start on the left flank against United.

We could have beaten United by six at their place but we chose not to, clearly because Pep knew it might only take one brain fart and they would be back in the game?

He certainly legislates for Liverpool breaking fast on us these days, so I see no reason for us to go for the throat against United.

I don't think we lose too much with an attacker less in the middle when Cancelo is able to join up.

Been noticeable in recent games that Cancelo has struggled to do that?

That's exactly the tactical situation here IMO. We are exposed as a team when we give the ball away. United are like Spurs -a fast breaking team, and it's why we lose games to those teams. KDB in particular has been guilty of giving the ball away repeatedly in recent weeks/months. It used to be a part of his game you tolerated because the rewards were goals - he took risk which paid off and lost the ball sometimes in the process. Pep won't do it but on this occasion I'd drop him. Sterling, less so. When he loses possession it's in less dangerous areas. Both of them are trying to play their way into form but this might not be the game for it.

Pep's going to play them both I'm sure, though,judging by Tuesday's team. The wildcard is Glrealish. I've a feeling Pep might want to include him after his midweek performance. That might see Sterling on the bench.
Pretty much bang on the money here DD

Pep went with Grealish twice against Chelsea, another quick counter team, so I would not be surprised if he does start on the left flank against United.

We could have beaten United by six at their place but we chose not to, clearly because Pep knew it might only take one brain fart and they would be back in the game?

He certainly legislates for Liverpool breaking fast on us these days, so I see no reason for us to go for the throat against United.

I don't think we lose too much with an attacker less in the middle when Cancelo is able to join up.

Been noticeable in recent games that Cancelo has struggled to do that?
Yep, agree with all that. With Liverpool after that game at their place where the handball wasnt' given and they went up the other end and scored twice (was it 3-1 or something) Pep changed tactics against them after that and they became the only team we play who we stand off from particularly early on. It worked a treat.

With United the penny also dropped that they were breaking at us with channel balls and getting our slow centre backs stuck in one on ones. So in the last game he "kept the ball in the fridge" as you say and strangled the life out of them. i expect similar tactics at the weekend but the big BUT is that we can't do it if KDB keeps doing daft stuff.

this is why the know-nowts on here irritate me with their "No plan B" idiocy. Pep has always had a plan B, and C, and D, and E but it doesn't involve pumping long balls to Crouchy because that does level the playing field.

If you wanted a team to keep possession I'd go with this:

Ed
Walker.................Stones...........Laporte...............Cancelo

...............................Rodri

......................BErnado...........Gundo...........

Mahrez...............Grealish.......................Foden

Foden tucks in a bit to allow Cancelo to operate as an attacker. Allows Bernado and Mahrez to link up and make runs and overlaps on the other side.

Last edited:
Won't happen but I'd go..

Ederson
Walker
Stones
Laporte
Cancelo
Rodri
Gundo
Bernardo
Mahrez
Grealish
Foden

No nerves , suspect we will lose given the way we get caught out by them at home a lot in recent years and olivar hates us and loves to give out pens , however , ever hopeful and voted win

Yep, agree with all that. With Liverpool after that game at their place where the handball wasnt' given and they went up the other end and scored twice (was it 3-1 or something) Pep changed tactics against them after that and they became the only team we play who we stand off from particularly early on. It worked a treat.

With United the penny also dropped that they were breaking at us with channel balls and getting our slow centre backs stuck in one on ones. So in the last game he "kept the ball in the fridge" as you say and strangled the life out of them. i expect similar tactics at the weekend but the big BUT is that we can't do it if KDB keeps doing daft stuff.

this is why the know-nowts on here irritate me with their "No plan B" idiocy. Pep has always had a plan B, and C, and D, and E but it doesn't involve pumping long balls to Crouchy because that does level the playing field.

If you wanted a team to keep possession I'd go with this:

Ed
Walker.................Stones...........Laporte...............Cancelo

...............................Rodri

......................BErnado...........Gundo...........

Mahrez...............Grealish.......................Foden

Foden tucks in a bit to allow Cancelo to operate as an attacker. Allows Bernado and Mahrez to link up and make runs and overlaps.
I'd have Grealish wide left and tell him to play like he did 2nd half v Peterborough i.e. taking people on and shooting rather than the safe pass. I'd then have Foden in the midfield for pace and Gundogan up top - he's the best one for appearing late in the box as a false 9.

However, can't imagine he starts without KdB which is a concern, as he's currently not quite right. In that scenario, KdB for Gundogan as the player up top but with the freedom to create overloads wherever he wants

For a long time i've thought City needed to use the potential of the squad to"counter-attack" much more. Meet the bus with our own. Game after game is attack versus defence, very often we prevail, now and again we dont. If we play a bit deeper, it helps to drag the "eleven in the box" forward, creating more space. That is why JG's goal gave me so much satisfaction. Phil's pass was what KdB used to provide regularly, not so often these days. No drastic action needed, possession still crucial, always will be under Pep, just a use of the "mortar bomb" (as opposed to the aimless lump forward) type assists that Eddie and Phil can provide. Pinpoint accuracy, instant control of the ball, more space, and confusion for the opposition, who fully expect wave after wave of City attacks, plus we have more bods to cover their counter-attack
Piece'a'piss this tactics lark....

League Cup semi at toilet couple years back?

My thinking is about the balance of the team, rather than any one individual.

If Sterling plays, same with Kev, it also exposes the risk of easier ball turnover, the whole risk reward thing...

United want a game of counters, something they are actually very good at.
Mine was not a slight at Mahrez. Although, he seems to raise expectations prior to every derby, but doesn't deliver in my opinion. With his ability he should be rinsing players of the calibre of Shaw or Telles. Get your point regarding keeping the ball and not starting their counters.

I'd have Grealish wide left and tell him to play like he did 2nd half v Peterborough i.e. taking people on and shooting rather than the safe pass. I'd then have Foden in the midfield for pace and Gundogan up top - he's the best one for appearing late in the box as a false 9.

However, can't imagine he starts without KdB which is a concern, as he's currently not quite right. In that scenario, KdB for Gundogan as the player up top but with the freedom to create overloads wherever he wants
I don't see Gundogan as a false 9. His game is picking the ball up, making those 360 degree turns and laying it off short. He's a decent finisher I agree but to me he's one of the only players on the team who can only play in one position, central attacking midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.