United thread 2012/13 (inc merged IPO thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
whyalwaysLee said:
M18CTID said:
whyalwaysLee said:
Actually, getting local schools discounted tickets for games is the best way to get your hooks into the future lifetime fans. As already mentioned on here, 50,000 regular season ticket holders attended last nights game as part of the cup scheme, the other 23,000 was made up of 3 thousand Braga fans and brilliant marketing.

United are a US club, with US owners, and shares on the NYSE. Nike know how much money they can make off shirt sales and product placement. They aren't naive in business deals, they will get what they want out of any deal. Although 1 billion is a bizarre figure to pluck out of the air, that would have to be a 20 year deal. They make the worst kits as well.

Brilliant marketing? Are you for real? I'm not knocking giving away free tickets to schoolkids (though the cynic in me feels that wouldn't have happened if they weren't struggling to sell the game out) but if you think the world's biggest football club failing to shift the remainder of their non-season ticket allocation amounts to brilliant marketing then you're sadly deluded. A total idiot could've gotten 73,000 through the gate at Old Trafford last night, whereas someone with just a bit of nous employing a modicum of imaginary pricing could've easily ensured it was a sell-out.

Who said anything about giving away free tickets? Do you think the Glazers would give away tickets for nowt?? The capacity is 75k for CL games. There was 73,195 at the match. That's 1800 empty seats against Braga, on a tuesday night, in the group stages of a cup competition. If that is a crisis, I'd hate to spill any milk in your gaff! Although, I agree with your point about the pricing.

Errrrr....you. You banged on about how much of a wonderful idea it was to give free tickets away to schoolkids. Funny that, because if it was City doing it I've no doubt that you'd be having a laugh with all your mates over at Red Cafe that we were only doing it to make the ground look more full.

As for a crisis, I never said there was one over at your place - just that United have so many fans that it would be nigh on impossible not to get an attendance of 73,000 for last night's game - particularly when you factor in that there were 50-odd thousand guaranteed sales in the first place.

M18CTID said:
whyalwaysLee said:
M18CTID said:
Brilliant marketing? Are you for real? I'm not knocking giving away free tickets to schoolkids (though the cynic in me feels that wouldn't have happened if they weren't struggling to sell the game out) but if you think the world's biggest football club failing to shift the remainder of their non-season ticket allocation amounts to brilliant marketing then you're sadly deluded. A total idiot could've gotten 73,000 through the gate at Old Trafford last night, whereas someone with just a bit of nous employing a modicum of imaginary pricing could've easily ensured it was a sell-out.

Who said anything about giving away free tickets? Do you think the Glazers would give away tickets for nowt?? The capacity is 75k for CL games. There was 73,195 at the match. That's 1800 empty seats against Braga, on a tuesday night, in the group stages of a cup competition. If that is a crisis, I'd hate to spill any milk in your gaff! Although, I agree with your point about the pricing.

Errrrr....you. You banged on about how much of a wonderful idea it was to give free tickets away to schoolkids. Funny that, because if it was City doing it I've no doubt that you'd be having a laugh with all your mates over at Red Cafe that we were only doing it to make the ground look more full.

As for a crisis, I never said there was one over at your place - just that United have so many fans that it would be nigh on impossible not to get an attendance of 73,000 for last night's game - particularly when you factor in that there were 50-odd thousand guaranteed sales in the first place.

No I didn't. Read it again. And both City and Utd currently contact local schools with discounted deals for cup games. Have done for years and years. Infact in 1985 my first ever game was City v Watford in the fa cup, and that was with a coach load of kids from my school in Didsbury.

whyalwaysLee said:
M18CTID said:
whyalwaysLee said:

No I didn't. Read it again. And both City and Utd currently contact local schools with discounted deals for cup games. Have done for years and years. Infact in 1985 my first ever game was City v Watford in the fa cup, and that was with a coach load of kids from my school in Didsbury.

It was you who stated that "Actually, getting local schools discounted tickets for games is the best way to get your hooks into the future lifetime fans." Not me. Not anyone else. Now if you want to split hairs and claim that doesn't precisely equate to what I interpreted it as then that's your call Mr Pedantic.

By the way, we didn't play Watford in the FA Cup in 1985. It was 1986.

M18CTID said:
whyalwaysLee said:
M18CTID said:

It was you who stated that "Actually, getting local schools discounted tickets for games is the best way to get your hooks into the future lifetime fans." Not me. Not anyone else. Now if you want to split hairs and claim that doesn't precisely equate to what I interpreted it as then that's your call Mr Pedantic.

By the way, we didn't play Watford in the FA Cup in 1985. It was 1986.

Heh, you're funny.

Pointing out the remarkable difference between free tickets and discounted ones is being Pedantic? I could point out that wallcharting the results from the scum website, to see how many tickets are available before a match could be deemed ped......but I'll leave it there, pal.

Moving on...

Fact is the demand for tickets is not nearly as strong as it was there, they admit it themselves and talk about how they could buy 6 tickets now for friends and family, whereas once they struggled to get even one if they didn't have a season ticket. Their tickets are regularly on general sale until matchday as they were against Stoke, a couple of years ago they would have been sold out days or weeks before. It is probably the symptom of one trophyless season, meaning they still have a huge match-going fanbase but have so many plastic/fairweather fans that even one season lacking success has a minor effect. I wonder what 2, 3, 10, or god forbid 30 years without a pot would do to their attendances? We'll probably never find out but I imagine they would be down to their local supporters and probably getting similar attendances to us.

PS: Has there ever been a more blatant rag posing as a City fan than whyalwaysLee? Spend 60 seconds in his post history and all becomes clear.

LoveCity said:
Fact is the demand for tickets is not nearly as strong as it was there, they admit it themselves and talk about how they could buy 6 tickets now for friends and family, whereas once they struggled to get even one if they didn't have a season ticket. Their tickets are regularly on general sale until matchday as they were against Stoke, a couple of years ago they would have been sold out days or weeks before. It is probably the symptom of one trophyless season, meaning they still have a huge match-going fanbase but have so many plastic/fairweather fans that even one season lacking success has a minor effect. I wonder what 2, 3, 10, or god forbid 30 years without a pot would do to their attendances? We'll probably never find out but I imagine they would be down to their local supporters and probably getting similar attendances to us.

PS: Has there ever been a more blatant rag posing as a City fan than whyalwaysLee? Spend 60 seconds in his post history and all becomes clear.
Demand for Utd tickets as a whole has been slowly declining over the last few seasons so I think it's down to more than one trophyless season. In my opinion it's as much to do with ticketing policy & pricing as anything. The Glazers were always gonna push ticket prices as far as they could (they said as much just after their takeover) and if that meant disenchanting long standing supporters, and replacing them with glory hunters or "tourists" it wouldn't bother them at all. In fact they probably welcome the additional marketing opportunities the latter group offer that you don't get with long standing supporters - I know throughout my years of attending I rarely even bought a programme, let alone went on a shopping spree in the megastore - and I assume the fact that they don't seem willing to discount cup games or reconsider the auto cup ticket scheme means they're fairly comfortable with how ticket sales are holding up (tho their current aggressive advertising campaigns seems to indicate they don't want demand to drop much more).

And as Henry Mencken once said; "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

They'll be around for a long time.

Could one not look at the economy and the fact that maybe people can not afford to see as much football as they once could? Just a small thought. To single out united or city or any other team as slipping cause ticket sales are not flying out the door at alarming rate, is really just picking a needless argument. No? easier just to blame the economy then to try to pick one factor. in the end it might be a precursor to great problem, on the other hand it might happen to be a mid week game vs a not so appealing opponent in hardly a must win situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.