United thread 2012/13 (inc merged IPO thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Future's Blue said:
jrb said:
MUEN.

United break through $3bn barrier
28 Jan 2013 15:22

Manchester United have been valued at an incredible 3.3billion US dollars - way ahead of their nearest rivals the Dallas Cowboys NFL side.

Old Trafford, home of Manchester United

Manchester United have become the first sports team in the world to be valued at more than 3billion US dollars.

A surge in the club's shares after a poor start when they were offered on the New York Stock Exchange in August has seen the overall value of United rise to 3.3billion US dollars (£2.1billion).

According to Forbes, United are comfortably ahead of the world's second-most-valuable sports team, the NFL's Dallas Cowboys, worth 2.1billion dollars (£1.4billion).

The United shares were initially offered to the public at 14 dollars and are now worth just under 17 dollars.

It means a huge increase in the overall wealth of the Glazer family, who have a controlling interest in United, and billionaire investor George Soros - the 22nd richest person in the world - who bought a 7.5 per cent stake in the club.

United's commercial growth appears to be driving the share price up, with the club announcing several new sponsorship deals since August, qualifying for the Champions League knockout stages, and with the prospect of the new bumper Premier League television deals that are coming on stream from August.

The Glazers sold 10 per cent of their shares in the initial public offering sale in August but United's vice-chairman Ed Woodward insisted in October the family will not sell the club for "many, many years" despite ongoing interest.

Woodward said they had no interest in cashing in the rest of their holding.
Is that article suggesting that there are only 2.5% of the shares actually being traded? If so, it would go someway to explaining the drop and then hike in price.
I thought Soros bought 7.5% of the shares issued in the IPO rather than 7.5% of the club.

Just found this: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.forbes.com/sites/afontevecchia/2012/08/20/billionaire-investor-soros-buys-7-9-of-manchester-united/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.forbes.com/sites/afontevecch ... er-united/</a>

which says Soros bought 3.1m of the 16.6m shares issued in the IPO so no, they're not only trading 2.5% of the shares.

JM Mcr said:
The Future's Blue said:
jrb said:
Is that article suggesting that there are only 2.5% of the shares actually being traded? If so, it would go someway to explaining the drop and then hike in price.
I thought Soros bought 7.5% of the shares issued in the IPO rather than 7.5% of the club.
That's what I thought but it doesn't state that there. Less than 1% of shares is far different than what is stated there. Having that sort of pull on the shares would have a dramatic effect on the market.

They may have just got it wrong.<br /><br />-- Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:34 pm --<br /><br />
JM Mcr said:
The Future's Blue said:
jrb said:

Just found this: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.forbes.com/sites/afontevecchia/2012/08/20/billionaire-investor-soros-buys-7-9-of-manchester-united/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.forbes.com/sites/afontevecch ... er-united/</a>

which says Soros bought 3.1m of the 16.6m shares issued in the IPO so no, they're not only trading 2.5% of the shares.
If those figures are correct then all becomes clear.

Relax!

Share price has dropped back to $16.48. Down over $1 in the last 24 hours.

I blame the MUEN. ;-)

Shares on Wall Street have been buoyant since the New Year when confidence rebounded after the US avoided going over the fiscal cliff. My own shares on the NASDAQ have gone up by a similar percentage to (and in dollar value by much more than) those of the rags this month.

laserblue said:
Shares on Wall Street have been buoyant since the New Year when confidence rebounded after the US avoided going over the fiscal cliff. My own shares on the NASDAQ have gone up by a similar percentage to (and in dollar value by much more than) those of the rags this month.
That's true, the NASDAQ and S&P 500 are both up around 5% since the turn of the year whilst the Dow is up around 6%, however Utd's shareprice has jumped around 17% in that period (despite dropping by a dollar or so in the last 2 days trading). It seems to me that the shareprice has benefited from more than just the rebound of the US stock exchange, possibly a combination of the 13 marketing deals signed so far this season and the potential of increased revenue from extra CL and domestic cup games this season, plus the imminent Chevrolet deal and forthcoming jump in tv income has boosted investor confidence........or maybe a few of the club's 659 million followers(!!) have smashed their piggy bank to buy a few shares....

Who knows but I reckon both the Glazers and George Soros are feeling a little smug right now, tho will be interesting to see how low the price tumbles if the last couple of days profit taking continues.

Btw, well done on the success of your own portfolio - any tips for the rest of us?? ;-)

jrb said:
MUEN.

United break through $3bn barrier
28 Jan 2013 15:22

Manchester United have been valued at an incredible 3.3billion US dollars - way ahead of their nearest rivals the Dallas Cowboys NFL side.

Old Trafford, home of Manchester United

Manchester United have become the first sports team in the world to be valued at more than 3billion US dollars.

A surge in the club's shares after a poor start when they were offered on the New York Stock Exchange in August has seen the overall value of United rise to 3.3billion US dollars (£2.1billion).

According to Forbes, United are comfortably ahead of the world's second-most-valuable sports team, the NFL's Dallas Cowboys, worth 2.1billion dollars (£1.4billion).

The United shares were initially offered to the public at 14 dollars and are now worth just under 17 dollars.

It means a huge increase in the overall wealth of the Glazer family, who have a controlling interest in United, and billionaire investor George Soros - the 22nd richest person in the world - who bought a 7.5 per cent stake in the club.

United's commercial growth appears to be driving the share price up, with the club announcing several new sponsorship deals since August, qualifying for the Champions League knockout stages, and with the prospect of the new bumper Premier League television deals that are coming on stream from August.

The Glazers sold 10 per cent of their shares in the initial public offering sale in August but United's vice-chairman Ed Woodward insisted in October the family will not sell the club for "many, many years" despite ongoing interest.

Woodward said they had no interest in cashing in the rest of their holding.

Thank god for that, perhaps they can now use the extra money to bolster the shopping malls that were closing at a great rate, I wonder how much will get invested in and around Old Stretford. Roll on Furgie retirement or whatever comes first. (Sorry no need for that last bit).

United so poor!

How do they do it? They constantly get played off the park by average sides yet usually win by the odd goal! I thought after last year they might have lost a bit of luck!

Re: United so poor!

Paul11/12 said:
How do they do it? They constantly get played off the park by average sides yet usually win by the odd goal! I thought after last year they might have lost a bit of luck!

Pinball football. Take the ball out wide and smash it as hard as you can in the box and pray it bounces off into the net or lands in-front of one of your ''strikers''. last night the only reason i saw the ball go into the middle of the park was to be swung from one wing to another. they figured out they have no clue how to actually play football simple as.

I don't like calling it luck. Defensively, yes they got lucky with the ball hitting the post and two shots off the line. But attacking wise it is very effective. And it would be really helpful for us if we could use some of this against all the buses we come up against. However, if this keeps happening, they will drop points (perhaps Everton and QPR can help us out). If they play like this it will be demolition by Madrid in CL.<br /><br />-- Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:07 am --<br /><br />I don't like calling it luck. Defensively, yes they got lucky with the ball hitting the post and two shots off the line. But attacking wise it is very effective. And it would be really helpful for us if we could use some of this against all the buses we come up against. However, if this keeps happening, they will drop points (perhaps Everton and QPR can help us out). If they play like this it will be demolition by Madrid in CL.

Give me playing not very convincingly and winning over playing attractive football and winning less everyday of the week.

Just ask Arsenal fans. Football is about putting the ball in the net more times than your opponents, how that is achieved matters little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.