United thread 2012/13 (inc merged IPO thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The perfect fumble said:
all I've said is I'm not obsessed with United
You never said any such thing in your first post. You actually said that you "do not think about united at all, unless forced to". Presumably that extends to you being "forced" to click on this thread, read it, and respond with your bon mots. I merely commented that for someone who never thinks about united unless forced, you demonstrate curious interest levels in a thread dedicated solely to them.

Do you click on other threads and comment on them when you have no interest whatsoever in the subject matter? If you do then you certainly are a peculiar fellow and if not then I would suggest you are being slightly disingenuous. The fact that you keep returning to this thread suggests it's the latter.

The perfect fumble said:
Well here I am, I didn't think I'd be relegated to leper status because I don't eat, sleep and drink Utd, but there you go, seems there is only one orthodoxy.
I'm sure no-one has relegated you to leper status. You are free to continue posting on this united thread as much as you like.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
The perfect fumble said:
You never said any such thing in your first post. You actually said that you "do not think about united at all, unless forced to". Presumably that extends to you being "forced" to click on this thread, read it, and respond with your bon mots. I merely commented that for someone who never thinks about united unless forced, you demonstrate curious interest levels in a thread dedicated solely to them.

Do you click on other threads and comment on them when you have no interest whatsoever in the subject matter? If you do then you certainly are a peculiar fellow and if not then I would suggest you are being slightly disingenuous. The fact that you keep returning to this thread suggests it's the latter.

The perfect fumble said:
Well here I am, I didn't think I'd be relegated to leper status because I don't eat, sleep and drink Utd, but there you go, seems there is only one orthodoxy.
I'm sure no-one has relegated you to leper status. You are free to continue posting on this united thread as much as you like.

It is true, I don't think about Utd unless I'm forced to, maybe "forced" was too strong a word, it conjures up visions of kicking and screaming, but surely that does not preclude me from wandering in to a Utd thread, or commenting as I did on the timing of their parade, or expressing an opinion about them, an opinion, sparked by this post....

It would be fundamentally dishonest for most (if not all) City fans to suggest that our rivalry with united wasn't important to us

It is the word "important" that prompted my post, close friends are important, my family are important, City are important, but Utd? My two brothers, both season ticket holders (I don't live in Manchester any more and only get to a handful of games as a consequence) would disagree, and I'm not here to play WUM, I don't get the daily grief from rags that they do and presumably you do, though you'd be surprised at the number of Utd supporters even out here in the middle of nowhere Norfolk, but I can't get worked up about them.

My wife, a fellow supporter, gets really wound up about Utd, she can spot Utd bias a mile off and boy does she have a sea to swim in, it's constant, there is rarely a day goes by that she doesn't spot some fawning article about the rags, or some doom and gloom crap about City and she gets really hacked off. Maybe I'm getting old, I just can't be arsed about it anymore. Utd is like a scab, it exists, I just find scratching it constantly doesn't help it go away

The perfect fumble said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
The perfect fumble said:

The perfect fumble said:

It is true, I don't think about Utd unless I'm forced to, maybe "forced" was too strong a word, it conjures up visions of kicking and screaming, but surely that does not preclude me from wandering in to a Utd thread, or commenting as I did on the timing of their parade, or expressing an opinion about them, an opinion, sparked by this post....

It would be fundamentally dishonest for most (if not all) City fans to suggest that our rivalry with united wasn't important to us

It is the word "important" that prompted my post, close friends are important, my family are important, City are important, but Utd? My two brothers, both season ticket holders (I don't live in Manchester any more and only get to a handful of games as a consequence) would disagree, and I'm not here to play WUM, I don't get the daily grief from rags that they do and presumably you do, though you'd be surprised at the number of Utd supporters even out here in the middle of nowhere Norfolk, but I can't get worked up about them.

My wife, a fellow supporter, gets really wound up about Utd, she can spot Utd bias a mile off and boy does she have a sea to swim in, it's constant, there is rarely a day goes by that she doesn't spot some fawning article about the rags, or some doom and gloom crap about City and she gets really hacked off. Maybe I'm getting old, I just can't be arsed about it anymore. Utd is like a scab, it exists, I just find scratching it constantly doesn't help it go away
Ok. Fair enough and in the interests of conciliation I will revise my original statement by withdrawing the (if not all) part. I guess it's a little absurd to assume such a wide group of individuals, as our supporters are, could all share the same perspective on any subject, even united.

I still maintain, however, that to most of our supporters united are a constant feature. I wouldn't describe it as an obsession, but they occupy our thoughts to a significant extent (in footballing terms).

It's a strange situation because unlike others I know I'd miss them I they weren't there. I like the differences between each of the clubs and their supporters. united give me a sense of perspective as to why I love City so much.

Maybe it's in sharper relief for me because of the rest of my family and their support of united. That club has always been a big part of my life because of that and it would feel strange if they disappeared, as much as I find them to be dislikeable. I love my family all dearly, but it doesn't stop me looking at their club with mild contempt. In that sense I believe I have a good sense of perspective. Football, and City in particular, are a very important part of my life, but I do realise there are other things in life that are far more important.

Interesting stats on the rags and refs here :

"Conspiracy theories are everywhere at the moment, and although Manchester United fans will rightly say that the below is just circumstance and nothing more, fans of Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester City, Chelsea et al will point to a wider issue. Anyway, have a chew on these and feel free to froth in the comments…

Manchester United are the only team in the Premier League not to have a penalty awarded against them this season. The last time that ANY team didn’t have a penalty awarded against them was 2007-08. That team was again, Man Utd.

Manchester United have been awarded less penalties against them than any other team over the last 10 years in the Premier League (adjusting for promoted sides per season in the league)

As well as no penalities against them, Manchester United have also not had a red card against them this season. 2 other teams have also not had a red card but this is very unusual. Every other season in the past 10 only 1 team (at most) has not received a red card all season.

It has never happened previously where a Premier League team has gone through a whole season not having a single penalty or red card awarded against them. Interesting!"

Just seen this and I hope it's real ! Couldn't stop laughing.

BIurY8jCMAA4WVE.jpg:large

Nothing to worry about here then... wonder if Pige wants to chime in?

-

Premier League: Anthony Fry appointed chairman

Corporate financier Anthony Fry is to take over as chairman of the Premier League in June.

The 57-year-old will succeed Sir Dave Richards, who is stepping down from the position he has held since April 1999.

It is that depth and breadth of experience which convinced the League's appointments committee to go for Fry.

His financial experience will be seen as a great asset at a time when the league's 20 clubs are about to receive a 70% increase in domestic television and media revenue.

How that new money is spent and managed will be one of Fry's most important challenges, particularly with a handful of clubs unhappy about the introduction of new Financial Fair Play rules limiting players' wages and annual losses.

Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck said Fry had the "correct blend of experience, skills, attitude and demeanour to represent the best interests of the Premier League". Chairmen of the Premier League's 20 clubs endorsed Fry's appointment at a meeting on Friday. Buck, along with Stoke's Peter Coates, Manchester United's David Gill and former Blackburn chairman John Williams, led the recruitment process.

Fry was described by the Premier League as a "keen spectator" at matches involving champions Manchester United. His appointment means that three of the key people who help run English football are fans of the Red Devils. The others are Greg Dyke, who takes over as Football Association chairman this summer, and FA vice-chairman Gill, who hopes to join Uefa's executive committee.

Fry has spent most of his career as a corporate finance advisor after graduating with first-class honours from Magdalen College, Oxford.
He is chairman of dairy group Dairy Crest and a senior advisor to the board of investment bank Espirito Santo. In addition, he has held non-executive positions on public, charitable and academic bodies, such as the BBC and the English National Opera.

Buck added: "Anthony's CV speaks for itself, but we were particularly impressed by his aptitude for and understanding of the role, as well as believing his style to be particularly well-suited to developing effective working relationships with both the member clubs and the executive of the Premier League."

Fry praised the achievements of the Premier League, and added: "I am looking forward immensely to helping the clubs and the executive improve on what is already an incredibly successful competition and business."

While it goes against every fibre of being to defend anything the red scum do, john williams was part of the recruitment process so if one of our own was involved we cant really complain

mancboy123 said:
While it goes against every fibre of being to defend anything the red scum do, john williams was part of the recruitment process so if one of our own was involved we cant really complain

John Williams doesn't work for us anymore, he was here about 6 months on a short-term contract... he's head of the referee's union or something now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.